Gary -in training with.......

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
John M

Gary -in training with.......

Post by John M »

Wigan!

Tonights evening post shows that Gary Connolly has started pre season training with Wigan.Seems strange?????
Has Lindsay got a plan up his sleeve re. the salary cap and Orrell? I hope so.
Monie is God!

Long live Monie the king!!
johnsons_babexx

am glad

Post by johnsons_babexx »

lets hope he is here to stay then. As long as mr johnson does not loose the number four shirt as i have just bought me shirt with johnson 4 on the back. Maybe he can take ainscoughs place ( we can only hope)
Officially PJ'sNo.1.Fan!!

1/3 of the original Nobby's girls - we have the t-shirts to prove it!!!!!

John M

Ainscough

Post by John M »

Thats what i was thinking.Maybe Ainscough wont return? Not that i think Jamie is a bad winger,infact i think hes a very good winger but as far as a centre goes hes hopeless.Surely we could afford to keep Gary if Jamie was off the wage bill? I think centre is our weak spot next year whilst we have Carney,Dallas,Briscoe and then Johnson/Hodgson able to cover that position so we dont really need another winger if we are honest.I think it would be a wise move to keep Gary and although i hate to say it,get rid of Ainscough.Nothing against him but we need the services of Gary more than him.
Monie is God!

AJ

who knows

Post by AJ »

i had heard the other week that maybe jamie wasnt coming back, but who knows, only time will tell, but i have a feeling we havent seen the last of gary in the cherry and white
Tipstar Champion 2002 !!!
DaveO

Re:Ainscough

Post by DaveO »

JohnM: While I agree we need Connolly more than Ainscough I can't see Ainscough not coming back.

The squad was announced with him in it - at centre - so for him to be withdrawn at this late stage after the squad has been fixed would be a big surprise and a big screw-up on the clubs part.

If Ainscough does leave depsite Connolly's legend status at Wigan what the club should do is use the money freed up by the loss of the pair of them to get a centre into the club who is a more long term prospect.

Gary is still great in defence but as an attacker he has lost his pace and we really need a Renouf like figure in the 3/4 line to make some busting runs.

If there is no Renouf clone alternative out there, then yes please, Connolly over Ainscough in the squad.

Dave
johnsons_babexx

it aint gary

Post by johnsons_babexx »

Hate to say this but i have just seen the picture and it isnt gary. Look carefully at it it is martin aspinwall. Even the writer hasnt clicked on to it.
Officially PJ'sNo.1.Fan!!

1/3 of the original Nobby's girls - we have the t-shirts to prove it!!!!!

John M

Aspinwall?

Post by John M »

Is it really?
Ive not got the paper anymore but i did look at the picture at a glance and it did look like Gary.Oh well,sorry for giving duff info out lol!

BTW,hopefully Aspinwall wont just look like Gary,he will play like him too next year!
Monie is God!

Bemson

Oh Gary, Gary...

Post by Bemson »

I can't believe people would rather have Gary back for another year than Ainscough. Whilst Gary has been a brilliant player for the club he has done nothing in the last year to justify his hefty wage. He runs with no pace and no confidence anymore, just witness his tactic of diving head long at opposition knees this last season!

Ainscough is not a centre and I don't for one minute think he will play there. Johnson, Briscoe, Aspinwall and Hodgson are Wigan's centres, Jamo is more of a winger. I think people are getting bogged down with the squad numbers as they're not a good indicator.

Jamo isn't great but he has immense pace for big bloke and does alright on the wing. I just wish he'd look the least bit interested!
DaveO

Connolly better than Ainscough

Post by DaveO »

Bemson, the reason people would like Connolly to carry on is that he is still a better centre than Ainscough ever will be depaite his loss of pace and the fact he generally looked tired out last season.

You said it yourself, Ainscough is a winger and he looks far better in that postion.

I still think the best solution would be for both of them to go and the cash be used to bring in a younger BIG centre who can bust the line like Renouf could. (But not a teenager - we have enough of those).

We are lacking in that dept. and since Ainscough is not good as a centre his wage could be better used elsewhere.

Dave