Players that leave Wigan and excel...

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Panchitta Marra

Re: Players that leave Wig...

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Wigan_forever19 85 posted:
I had this discussion with my dad while watching salford vs quins. Wigan must have swome bad management issues at some level, because nearly everyone who leaves wigan goes on to do something special.

Cpwigan i have to disagree with your comment about they should be good at other clubs because we are a top club, this hasn't been the case for years nowespecially so since 2002-2003 we have been at best a mid-table club. Yet we still continue to let great british talent go for overrated over paid overseas players. Who in theer right mind would have richards when you can have hodgson!, or denis moron when you can have luke robinson? or D im an bout as much use as a chocolate fireguard V when you could have johnson or melling.

Im sorry but wigan need to get a grip these, imports are ruinin our team, ive never been that bothered before but im sick of watching people who should be on wigans books ripping teams apart then watching wigan who are struggling to get a complete full team of first teamers because of CAP issues down to us paying ridiculous money for S**t.

No im not in favour of a complete ban on imports and no i wouldn't turn barrett away for brown before someone says it, although brown had a cracker against stains i thought.

I know that its not all as plain as keeping the kids we develop but look at newton all he ever wanted to do was play for wigan yet he was forced out.

I said last season one of the main reasons i think wigan have gone down the pan is these imports dont have enough pride. Their playing for the greatest and most famous rugby league club in the world, Farrell, dallas and Rads were the last of a dying breed they knew what it meant to play for wigan and it wasn't about the paycheque! and i just hope the likes of hock and ashton can bring this back.

It just p's me off when i read godwin, orr, and newton saying they were forced out the club.

Rant over now ill return to a happy state :D
I totally agree with what you say, you and your dad speak some good common sense.
As you mentioned, Kevin Brown, who has put some beef on in the close season which has paid big dividends for Huddersfield. He has maintained his speed and now has the ability to shrug off oposition players and off-load. Surely this naituring should have been at Wigan with the right training and we could have seen a decent centre at the JJB instead of Deadly Virus, and probably at a third of the price. Due to the Salary Cap restrictions, and some of our over payed overseas dross, players such as Chris Melling were restricted to low salaries. I have spoken to a chap in the know who said that Chris obviously did not want to leave Wigan, however the money offered to him in London was a vast increase compared to his Wigan contract. And who could bame him for leaving.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Oh how time can make the past seem so glorious. Even if it is a few months ago in some cases.

Brown was almosr riduculed at times as so many u mentioned. Only 2 players we should have kept hold off Newton and Robinson.

as for the failures easy really pressure they are excpected to perform week in week out here not a few good games that get blown out of proportion by many on here.

Brown never was and never will be a good centre for us. Maybe for the Giants but he they are hardly setting the world on fire. As for Orr he was class for us when we really needed him.

Orr or Barrett.

Hard choice. Not.
right cross

Post by right cross »

listen everybody knows every good half back is only as good as his forwards ,if they can't get across the advantage line he's sunk .

ok then ,does anybody remember the best rl player in the world comeing to warrington,oh yes THE BEST HALF BACK IN THE WORLD. brought over to to help them win something . he had 1 yes 1 good game ,so if the best half back in the world can't change things how on earth can ,some one like mr orr.

here i rest my case .

adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

How about the players who have been brought into to replace those players and have not played well:

David Vaealiki
Denis Moran
Danny Orr
Mark Calderwood (Nowhere near his form at Leeds)
Stuart Fielden (Nowhere near his form at Bradford)

People might disagree on the last to but in my opinion Wigan just don't seem to be able to get the best out of the players they have. Almost all the players in Wigans starting 13 have shown at some stage in the career that they are very good players. I think that this has been Wigans problem in recent years, they have had the players but for some reason they don't all play well at the same time.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

adrenalinxx posted:
How about the players who have been brought into to replace those players and have not played well:

David Vaealiki
Denis Moran
Danny Orr
Mark Calderwood (Nowhere near his form at Leeds)
Stuart Fielden (Nowhere near his form at Bradford)

People might disagree on the last to but in my opinion Wigan just don't seem to be able to get the best out of the players they have.
I had no complaints with Fielden's form last season. We have played two games this so I think it is premature to lump Fielden in the same boat as DV !!

DV is a prime example of clubs (and it isn't just Wigan) looking for a instant fix to a problem. We needed an experienced centre so we went for him. Everyone was crying out for a big hard running centre and we didn't have one available to us who was thought good enough and were playing the likes of Wild, a second rower, in the centres.

DV was thought to be an excellent centre due to his form at Parra when playing with Lyon. Had he matched that form here no one would be giving a toss about the players we have let go while keeping him on the books.

So basically it is down to hindsight that we can have threads like this but I bet if you put yourself in the position of the club at the time the players were signed you would think very differently.

In my opinion where the club made a mistake with DV was not in signing him in the first place because as I said his form was good in the NRL, but giving him a four year deal.

People often want to sign players up for their career when they are supposed to be good. I mean how many people wouldn't give Hock a four year deal now in a big contract?

The trouble is should he pick up an injury like DV and loose his form seemingly permanently then the club can't get rid and ends up having to release other players due to the salary cap.

I am sure the club would have rather kept the likes of Melling but due to existing contracts they entered into they can't. Hopefully the club will have learned its lesson and won't be dishing out four year deals to players they sign from outside the club who in reality they don't have a great deal of knowledge about.

Dave
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

right cross posted:

ok then ,does anybody remember the best rl player in the world comeing to warrington,oh yes THE BEST HALF BACK IN THE WORLD. brought over to to help them win something . he had 1 yes 1 good game ,so if the best half back in the world can't change things how on earth can ,some one like mr orr.

here i rest my case .
Lockyer never played for Warrington.
Bear

Post by Bear »

I must admit robison is good for salford... he might show us why to keep young players :sly:
OOOOOO were the greatest club in the world!!!!
WxmWarrior

Post by WxmWarrior »

Think they mean Andrew Johns.... :wink:
"[img]http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/7545 ... orsxt9.jpg[/img]"

"...try the veal, I'm here all week.."