HOW RIDICULOUS......

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
robjoenz

Re: HOW RIDICULOUS......

Post by robjoenz »

DaveO posted:
robjoenz posted:
I think critcism of Ashton is pretty justified going off his performances this season.
Given he has played a grand total of two SL games at full back this season don't you think it is a little premature to be saying things like that especially given how well he did for us last season?

Before the season started there were loads of posts saying it would take several games for the team to gel and here we are criticising one of last seasons best players after three games one of which he was asked to play out of position.

It is ridiculous IMO.

Dave
Oh yeah, it's early doors but I think it is fair to say he's not got off to the best of starts.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

turf posted:
Where do you lie Robjoenz, in the "Ashton's best postion debate" by the way? Should he be at full back, centre or wing?
In my opinion; fullback, he's still young though with plenty of years ahead of him. If he matures like Radlinski he'll one hell of a player.
turf

Post by turf »

You say he will be one hell of a player if he matures like radders. Lets not forget that he is good enough already.

Another debatable point, some fans have told me today that they think that Ashton has put on weight. They reckon a total of around 3-4 pounds. In fact they say he looks like one of the Teletubbies!!!! Oh my!!!!

He doesn't look THAT fat does he?!?! I think it is rather harsh. They are just trying to put him down, as if his confidence is not already low enough for goodness sakes!!! Talk about kicking a man when he's down.

I think saying he looks like a Teletubbie is also incorrect and most of all, personal, in other words, a bit below the belt.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

turf posted:
Are the fans on the RLFansite?!?!?! I KNOW you say don't take notice of them but I have just been on there now, and I have seen that they are REALLY slating Chris Ashton.

They say that his dicsipline and form needs sorting quickly, which I disagree with by the way and they say there are two remedies and they are:

1. Drop him altogether

2. Give him a spell in the under 21's.

Please!!!!!! In my opinion, doing ANY of the two options listed above would MASSIVELY dent Ashton's confidence.

They surley aren't "loyal supporters" that's for sure. We need to get behind this kid and support him, not slate him.
I could be wrong, but was Mark Calderwood not dropped for the Bradford game, as a result of poor performance of the Catalan's game.
Chris Ashton made a massive error by not clearing the ball for Glenn Morison's try. This in effect cost Wigan 6 points and inevitably the game. He seemed very lethargic in his attempt to clear the ball. Whatever Brian Noble justifies as punishment for such mistakes is correct. Me personally, I would drop him to learn him a lesson, to let him know he cant justify his positon on his name alone. Michael Withers had an excellent game on Fiday night, and had we backed up better on his line breaks could have scored more points. At full back he wont let us down, wheras Chris Ashton is suspect at the moment
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

i think we should wait to see if barrett is fit before we drop anyone
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Panchitta Marra posted:

I could be wrong, but was Mark Calderwood not dropped for the Bradford game, as a result of poor performance of the Catalan's game.
Chris Ashton made a massive error by not clearing the ball for Glenn Morison's try. This in effect cost Wigan 6 points and inevitably the game. He seemed very lethargic in his attempt to clear the ball. Whatever Brian Noble justifies as punishment for such mistakes is correct. Me personally, I would drop him to learn him a lesson, to let him know he cant justify his positon on his name alone. Michael Withers had an excellent game on Fiday night, and had we backed up better on his line breaks could have scored more points. At full back he wont let us down, wheras Chris Ashton is suspect at the moment
One simple error and you want him dropped? We'd have no team left. He scored one, and saved two more, so effectively he was worth 12 points to us.

Withers was full back; that miss of Ashton's was right under the sticks where a fullback should have been, yet I've seen no criticism of Withers being out of position. No other player but Ashton even bothered to chase the kick!
turf

Post by turf »

Also for the Morrison try, Morrison was just about in front of the kick, when it was put through, so as a result shouldn't have been given anyway!!

Like GeoffN has just said about that kick, there was no other player but Ashton even BOTHERING to go after it.

Like GeoffN has also said, in effect, he was worth twelve points, as he saved two tries. Plus, people are saying that Ashton HIMSELF was ridiculous for getting sin binned.

In my opinion, it was a ridiculous decision to sin bin him. I don't agree with dropping him by the way.

adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

GeoffN posted:
One simple error and you want him dropped? We'd have no team left. He scored one, and saved two more, so effectively he was worth 12 points to us.
I would agree, there have been people criticising Ashton for a while, many of the people seem to just criticise him for the fun of it because there arguments have no evidence to back them up however in the Bradford match it was obvious that he made an error by not kicking the ball dead but for every negative in Astons' performance there are usually 2 positives.

Ashton was not the only person to make an error at an important time, Hansen dropped Barrett's pass when he was clear down the middle of the pitch and Hocks discipline was poor again.
turf

Post by turf »

Don't forget Ashton's other positive - he saved two tries. All be it, being (harshly) sin binned for saving a fourth try from Lesley and hauling him down.
Likely_Lad

Post by Likely_Lad »

Does anyone remember last year at Salford (Millward's 1st game I think)? Kris Radlinski made an error in that game exactly the same as Ashton's against Bradford. Everyone makes mistakes, especially fullbacks!
The poster formerly knows as Wizard_Millward.

I wasn't as fit or strong as before but my two biggest muscles still worked - my heart and my head - Kris Radlinski.