Wigan beat Hull KR

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Wigan beat Hull KR

Post by cpwigan »

I have found the perfect antedote to the 1st team. The U21s beat Hull KR 52-10 if I kept score correctly. Brian Noble was in attendance. The match also saw history being made (I think) with John Pendlebury becoming the oldest person ever to be sent off for Wigan RLFC as he fell foul of the new rules regarding passing messages etc.

Playing against a strong wind, the contest was much tighter in the first half with Wigan going in at the break 18-10 up. McClorrum returning after a long injury lay off was back to his industrious self and his trademark tackling was much in evidence. Joel Tomkins scored a first half hattrick.

In the second half, Wigan were totally dominant and started to play some outstanding rugby. Joel Tomkins went on to score a total of 5 tries with brother Sam Tomkins, Thomas Coyle, Liam Colbon and Nicky Stanton all adding further tries. Speedy dimunitive tough as teak winger Nicky Stanton kicked 8 from 9 including 2 from the touchline.

Michael McClorrum (hooker), Joel Tomkins (2nd row) and Daryll Goulding (centre) were the standout players for Wigan.
superleague

Re: Wigan beat Hull KR

Post by superleague »

cpwigan posted:
I have found the perfect antedote to the 1st team. The U21s beat Hull KR 52-10 if I kept score correctly. Brian Noble was in attendance. The match also saw history being made (I think) with John Pendlebury becoming the oldest person ever to be sent off for Wigan RLFC as he fell foul of the new rules regarding passing messages etc.

Playing against a strong wind, the contest was much tighter in the first half with Wigan going in at the break 18-10 up. McClorrum returning after a long injury lay off was back to his industrious self and his trademark tackling was much in evidence. Joel Tomkins scored a first half hattrick.

In the second half, Wigan were totally dominant and started to play some outstanding rugby. Joel Tomkins went on to score a total of 5 tries with brother Sam Tomkins, Thomas Coyle, Liam Colbon and Nicky Stanton all adding further tries. Speedy dimunitive tough as teak winger Nicky Stanton kicked 8 from 9 including 2 from the touchline.

Michael McClorrum (hooker), Joel Tomkins (2nd row) and Daryll Goulding (centre) were the standout players for Wigan.
i'm being serious now and i think we should drop most of the players from last night and replace them with our youngsters and then i think we will actually see some pride in the cherry and white, i think the only players that should remain are lockers, higham, feka and calders and of course barrett if hes fit, but obviously i'm in dream world because this will never happen but its just the way i feel as most of the team dont deserve to play for wigan again after last night!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The 3 I mentioned are the ones who deserve an opportunity. Nicky Stanton is one to watch. There is nothing of him sizewise but he is akin to Brett Dallas. Colbon could play 1st team I believe. Flannagan did not stand out.
superleague

Post by superleague »

cpwigan posted:
The 3 I mentioned are the ones who deserve an opportunity. Nicky Stanton is one to watch. There is nothing of him sizewise but he is akin to Brett Dallas. Colbon could play 1st team I believe. Flannagan did not stand out.
i know nicky hes the same age as me he was in my year at school and hes always been a real tough cookie and is exceptionally fast and a good goal kicker, he is deceptably strong for his size aswell.
Warrior4eva

Post by Warrior4eva »

Michael Mcilorum will go on to be a great player for Wigan. Me and my bro introduced him to Rugby when we all lived in Leeds.

After travelling to Wigan and back from Leeds last night I was thinking it may be time to give some youngster a chance. Tyer did really well for the St's last night so some youngsters can perform at the top level.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

McLlorum is a born competitor. It shows through in his defence and boy does he hit hard for his size.
the-Bowtun-Warrior

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior »

Stanton for Richards on the wing? sounds like the lad can actually kick aswel!
Owen Coyles Super White Army!!!

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

the-Bowtun-Warr ior posted:
Stanton for Richards on the wing? sounds like the lad can actually kick aswel!
The same thought crossed my mind.

The three players cpw mentioned should all get a run out v quins in my opinion.

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Nicky Stanton was actually a very talented footballer and was offered a contract by Bolton Wanderers. He preferred RL because it was tougher. Until this season he has not been kicking for the club BUT he was excellent taking care and attention over how he kicked as Frano used to. Whether he is ready for 1st team who knows :conf: Very small but fast, huge heart and tough. So maybe he has something that some of our first teamers do not.

McLlorum is more of a Higham/Godwin hooker. Incredibly fit / never stops working style player. Tough.

Goulding is very exciting. He may not have the defensive strength of a DV / Bailey but he is very dangerous with ball in hand and he supports well. Not sure if others agree but after getting back into the game on Fri it looked that every time we moved it wide there was no cutting edge.

Joel Tomkins is a tally rangy lad and he runs good lines.

O'Carrol played today too.

Further down the line Kavanagh has potential.
fred_flintstone

Post by fred_flintstone »

Can they do any worse????