Would you be offended if a stand was named after Stan Jackson ?

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
Green

Re: Would you be offended ...

Post by Green »

thegimble posted:
Or name the stands after Pie's

Meat n Potatoe
Steak
Chesse and Onion
Pasty

Yes, I'd like a season ticket in the Meat n Potato please, prefferably in the centre where all the meaty stuff happens.
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

i think we should have duel names for the stands like
The Nobby Jewell stand
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
im_a_cuckoo

Post by im_a_cuckoo »

Some joker called Jimmy Birtis wrote
The only problem is that whearas we are steeped in history and would struggle to choose between a long list of luminaries Latics have no history whatsoever and are consigned to picking names of people who used to wash the kit when they were in the Cheshire Combination League. Sad but true.
This is so typical of the big-time Charlie attitude that Latics got from rugby fans right thrpugh the 1980s (your all-conquering glory years - average attendance 14,500).

Who are you to say that the Latics have no history? It's ignorant, arrogant and quite plainly wrong. As I've already stated, coming from the Lancs Combination to the Premiership is a historic sporting achievement.

Your club has been relegated just once (crowds down to 4,500). That suggests you are little more than big fish in a very small pond. How many professional rugby league clubs are there in this country? Now consider the 80-odd football league cubs and 200-odd non-league clubs that Latics had to climb over to get to where they are today.

As for your list of luminaries. I'm biased, I come from Wigan, I post on your site, but even I could probably only name half a dozen Wigan rugby league players ever: Lydon, Offiah, Edwards, Radlinski, Farrell... Um, no. I'm struggling for any more. Should I check with the man on the Clapham omnibus tomorrow to see how many legends and luminaries he can name?

This season alone, Latics have playing for them two England internationals (Krkland and Heskey), two England Under-21 (Baines and Taylor), plus full Dutch, Austrian, Australian, Columbian, Nigerian, Scottish, Irish and Senegalese internationals, many of whom played at the World Cup last year (that's the proper World Cup, with more than 16 teams, as watched by billions).

To suggest that the only person we could find to commemorate is 'the man that washed the shirts in he Cheshire league' is an insult not only to many fine players and managers, but also to the Latics themselves, a family club who remember and respect their finest servants rather than teat them like dirt. Oh, yeah, Mke Gregory. That's another.
Markus35

Post by Markus35 »

Cuckoo..

This thread is a little distasteful to say the least.

This gent was a local man who clearly loved his team/town..and we should be respectful.

If Dave..wants to rename the stands after Stan Jackson..Billy Boston and maybe the west after himself..i for one wouldnt mind..because they have all contributed to our towns success.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

When this thread started I posted a micky tacking reply
when I found out who and why the thread was about I deleted it . Its just sport a little respect off every one wouldn't go amiss :blush:
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

im_a_cuckoo posted:
At the same time Dave Whelan unveiled plans to build a new 25,000 seater stadium for Wigan Athletic at Robin Park but he refused to open ground share negotiations with the Wigan board after the collapse of his Central Park rescue package earlier this year.
What your nice highlighted text does show it that Whealen struggled to get permission to build the Stadium just for Latics because it wouldn't benefit enough people, building a 25,000 seater stadium for a team with low attendance as seen as a bit of a waste of space. However when the ideas of a multi-use stadium were put forward the plans were accepted and the JJB Stadium went ahead. So in the end Latics need Wigan rugby to get the stadium built in the first place.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

im_a_cuckoo posted:
Who are you to say that the Latics have no history? It's ignorant, arrogant and quite plainly wrong. As I've already stated, coming from the Lancs Combination to the Premiership is a historic sporting achievement.
An achievement made by money from Whelan. I have said before that any club who has £400 million potentially in the bank will end up in the Premiership. If I had £200 million and took over Lancaster City FC, We'd be in the Premiersahip within a decade with a new 30,000 stadium. Personally I credit teams that have risen to the top without much financial success, other than merchandise and ticket sales such as Bolton Wanderers for example who have successfully stayed in the Premiership in continuously in debt and have a fantastic stadium. Latics however, dependant on Whelan, had it all made for them.
Your club has been relegated just once (crowds down to 4,500). That suggests you are little more than big fish in a very small pond. How many professional rugby league clubs are there in this country? Now consider the 80-odd football league cubs and 200-odd non-league clubs that Latics had to climb over to get to where they are today.
Since when did you climb over 200 non-league clubs? you have never been FC United or AFC Wimbledon starting from the dire depths of the bottom. Yes you came from regional leagues but thats the way it is. Wigan rugby have also 'climbed' over a lot of rugby league clubs over the years, just look our consistent records in winning trophies over a century at the highest leve, the only thing that has been consistent with the Latics is Whelans checquebook.
As for your list of luminaries. I'm biased, I come from Wigan, I post on your site, but even I could probably only name half a dozen Wigan rugby league players ever: Lydon, Offiah, Edwards, Radlinski, Farrell... Um, no. I'm struggling for any more. Should I check with the man on the Clapham omnibus tomorrow to see how many legends and luminaries he can name?
I struggle to name over 5 current premiership latics players, and if you are a Wiganer, the chancesare you will know more than 5 rugby players by default due to the history and influence the club has had on the town.
This season alone, Latics have playing for them two England internationals (Krkland and Heskey), two England Under-21 (Baines and Taylor), plus full Dutch, Austrian, Australian, Columbian, Nigerian, Scottish, Irish and Senegalese internationals, many of whom played at the World Cup last year (that's the proper World Cup, with more than 16 teams, as watched by billions).
Kirkland isnt even a #2 goalkeeper for england, wheeas Heskey is an ex-england player who struggles to score in the premiership, how many goals has he scored this season? 3?
what is a porper World Cup? a proper world cup with 16 teams? Im sure the FOOTBALL world cup has 32 teams, correct me if im wrong. A world cup in Real Tennis has an equal right over football. And what has this got to do with naming a stand at the JJB? so what if they played at the world cup for Brunei.
To suggest that the only person we could find to commemorate is 'the man that washed the shirts in he Cheshire league' is an insult not only to many fine players and managers, but also to the Latics themselves, a family club who remember and respect their finest servants rather than teat them like dirt. Oh, yeah, Mke Gregory. That's another.
Well he did wash shirts didnt he? Im not being rude but why should a supporter get a stand named after him? Id prefer a true Wigan resident who has made an impact on everyone in the town, such as Whelan to have a stand named after them. The truth is Latics dont have many recognised historical people associated with the people of the Town. Im a wiganer and know at least 10 people associated with the club, thats it, compared to over 100 with the rugby club.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
im_a_cuckoo

Post by im_a_cuckoo »

What I meant in saying I am biased was that coming from Wigan I'm bound to have heard of more rugby league players than the average Joe.

But you're right, I've head of Boston, Hanley, Gregory and Robinson, too. Never heard of this Frano Botica fella, though. Honest.

So is that it, then? Nine players who are household names (if that household is in the M62 corridor or Australia)? I think the Latics roll-call stacks up pretty well in comparison.

Jimmy Birts

Post by Jimmy Birts »

im_a_cuckoo posted:
I think the Latics roll-call stacks up pretty well in comparison.
More kit men, ball boys & programme sellers?

NO HISTORY. A shell of a football club
im_a_cuckoo

Post by im_a_cuckoo »

No history. What a cretinous insult.

Here's one tiny except from Latics' history. Naturally, there's 70 years of cup runs, giant killings, league championships, Wembley wins and 60-goal-a-season heroes to choose from, as well as the bad times, the 25 years of applying for election to the Football League, and the club being saved by its supporters on more than one occasion.

In 1953, part-tme, Lancashire Combination league Latics travelled to Newcastle to play the FA Cup holders (1951 and 1952), six full internationals, Jackie Milburn and all. The non-league men took the Toon to a replay, 2-2, in front of 52,222 supporters at St James's Park The team returned to Wallgate station with a crowd of 4,000 waiting for them as if they'd won the cup.

The replay took place at Springfield Park, which was three-sided due the main stand having burnt down the year before. In fact, the Latics asked Wigan RL if they could play at Central Park but permission was denied. (The Newcastle players were most put out at having to change at Wigan baths, and get the team coach to the match.) Despite only having three sides open, 26,500 packed into Springfield Park (it would have been more, but the pre-floodlights tie took place on a Tuesday afternoon - in the previous round, the 27,562 turned up to see Wigan beat Hereford, still the biggest ever crowd between two non-league clubs outside a Cup Final). Playing the trumpet with the brass band on the pitch before the match that afternoon was a certain Mr D Whelan. Latics agin put up a superb fight, losing narrrowly 3-2 and wouldn't meet Newcastle again for 53 years. Since being elevated to the Premier League under the chairmanship of Whelan, little Wigan Athletic have beaten Newcastle United three times.

Bring a tear to a mon with a glass eye that tale. But just two matches out of thousands.