Feilden, DV and Lockers

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Feilden, DV and Locker...

Post by cpwigan »

I noticed one thing re Hock. We need to use him more for the hard yards up the middle. In the second half he regularly made fantastic ground and won the collision. We seem to keep him out wide for the pretty plays.

The big thing is, if the attitude / effort are good then defence looks after itself and we can concentrate on improving our attack. The players will be better confidence wise too.
Green

Post by Green »

Another point on Hock was that he was there. Yes he did drop the ball alot, but he was there in those positions to recieve the ball, and was usually running at a good angle, one which could have made some decent yards if he had managed to stick hold to the ball.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Gareth Drop had a shocker in attack... 3 or 4 dropped ballz.
Im off to bed.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

cpwigan posted:
I noticed one thing re Hock. We need to use him more for the hard yards up the middle. In the second half he regularly made fantastic ground and won the collision. We seem to keep him out wide for the pretty plays.
this is a tactic more reminiscent of Wigan of the past - they often used to get players like Betts running out wide practically as an extra centre in order to test the outside backs defence. Keep it up, I like it and despite the poor handling tonight from Hocky I know that it will be a fruititious part of the game for him as the season wears on, rather than using him simply as a battering ram in the ruck are.
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

butt monkey posted:
cpwigan posted:
this is a tactic more reminiscent of Wigan of the past - they often used to get players like Betts running out wide practically as an extra centre in order to test the outside backs defence. Keep it up, I like it and despite the poor handling tonight from Hocky I know that it will be a fruititious part of the game for him as the season wears on, rather than using him simply as a battering ram in the ruck are.
Yep. They even had Feca running up the left centre channel at one point.
al299

Post by al299 »

who was the imposter in vaealiki's shirt cos he was asolute class tonight
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

I might also like to add to the O'Loughlin detractors that he has overcome a very serious knee injury (one that in the past would have certainly meant the end of a sporting career) to return to professional rugby. It is a credit to him and the medical/physio team that this has been possible. It normally takes at least a good season before you start to see the return to anything like form from a player after such an injury and I like to think that these efforts are now just being shown. No comment on his captaincy skills!!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

butt monkey posted:
I might also like to add to the O'Loughlin detractors that he has overcome a very serious knee injury (one that in the past would have certainly meant the end of a sporting career) to return to professional rugby. It is a credit to him and the medical/physio team that this has been possible. It normally takes at least a good season before you start to see the return to anything like form from a player after such an injury and I like to think that these efforts are now just being shown.
The injuries to Lockers an Hock would have ended their careers had they occurred a few years earlier such is the advance in sports medicine. However it also takes a lot of character to get over an injury as serous as that despite the physical side being given the all clear.
No comment on his captaincy skills!!!
Very wise :lol:

Dave
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

I have just read this quote from Salford coach Karl Harrison - talk about sour grapes

"Wigan got the luck of the bounce in scoring the first try which proved conclusive in the end."

What happened to the other 19 points we scored. How could the Ashton try have been so conclusive :eh: :eh: :eh:

thegimble

Post by thegimble »

butt monkey posted:
I have just read this quote from Salford coach Karl Harrison - talk about sour grapes

"Wigan got the luck of the bounce in scoring the first try which proved conclusive in the end."

What happened to the other 19 points we scored. How could the Ashton try have been so conclusive :eh: :eh: :eh:
If Hock could catch the ball ikn the first 40 it would have been over before half time.