5 plays sign today

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fraggle

5 plays sign today

Post by Fraggle »

From SportingLife.com (http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague ... Wigan.html):-
DALLAS STICKS WITH WIGAN

Wigan winger Brett Dallas has rejected the chance to return to Australia by committing himself to Wigan for the next two seasons.

Dallas was one of five five players to agree new contracts today as Wigan stepped up their squad-building programme for next season.

The 29-year-old, whose contract was due to expire at the end of the season, will now stay at the JJB Stadium until 2006, as will Stephen Wild and youngsters Bryn Hargreaves and Paul Prescott.

Forward Mark Smith has also agreed a one-year extension to his current deal.

Wigan caretaker coach Denis Betts said: "I am thrilled and it is great work by the club to retain all these players.

"We are putting the finishing touches to our squad for next season which will once again be a combination of youth and experience."

Former North Sydney and Canterbury player Dallas had attracted interest from Cronulla and Brisbane but said earlier in the summer he would like to stay with Wigan.

Dallas has scored 22 tries in all competitions this season after coming back from an injury-ravaged 2003.

His knee and hamstring problems meant he was only offered a one-year extension for the current season but he has now proved his fitness.

Hargreaves and Prescott are front-rowers both highly rated by the club.

Chairman Maurice Lindsay said: "Bryn Hargreaves and Paul Prescott have also signed for a further two years, and as they are two of the best front row prospects in the country it gives us added satisfaction that they have come through our junior development scheme along with Stephen Wild and Mark Smith."

The pair are not yet in the first-team reckoning but Wigan do have a front row problem next season following Craig Smith's decision to retire earlier this week.

Wigan have already lost Quentin Pongia to retirement this season and veteran Terry O'Connor is also soon out of contract.

Luke Davico, who is due to arrive from Canberra next year, is out for the rest of the season through injury but the club say they are not concerned about his long-term fitness.

Danny Sculthorpe, sidelined after shoulder surgery, is also unlikely to play again this year.
Good to hear Dallas finally confirming the contract, it had been strongly rumoured but pen has now been put to paper. Mark Smith seems to have accepted the one-year deal in the hope of a better deal next year when things are quieter. Wild was wanted by Hull to join Briscoe but he's been playing very well recently. Thankfully the kids have been kept as well, we've not had many props come through in recent years (Bibey!) so Prescott and Hargreaves need that opportunity.

So who's left to sign up?
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
GeoffN

Re: 5 plays sign today

Post by GeoffN »

Great news, especially about Wild - I had a sneaking feeling Mo was going to be stupid enough to let him go! The squad is taking good shape, I feel. Seems certain TerryO will leave, what about Cassidy?
Linzi

Post by Linzi »

Its fantastic news, especially about Stephen Wild :wink:

So is that a two year contract then? or is it just one?
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

It's 2 years for all except Mark Smith.