Australian RL: Mason calls for strike re salary cap

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
damien morrissey

Re: Australian RL: Mason calls...

Post by damien morrissey »

I would love to see this but i feel that a climb down by the players is more likely.
Big W makes some intelligent points though.
mike binder

Re: Australian RL: Mason c...

Post by mike binder »

here here we should do the same :blush:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The Footy Show hosted by Paul Vautin were calling for action this week too. If Australia takes action it may persuade Richard Lewis that we need to do likewise.
madmags

Post by madmags »

Yes I agree.
How many players would cross a picket line with Willie Mason in it ? :lol: :lol:
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

heard a sts fan today say the sallary cap is the best thing to ever happen to rugby ,yes he would wouldnt he :angry: because it suits him and is 9000 fans to beable to spend the same money as us and leeds :conf: and our 16000 fans :sly:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

This quote:

"It's wrong that there are blokes who train as hard as I do at the Bulldogs but they get paid stuff all for their hard work. "

Is something is the same sort of thing I have been saying have for a long time. You have players like Ashton, Prescott and Hill who will all be on peanuts and who are all playing alongside and against pllayers on 10 times the wage who are not 10 times as good.

This kind of wage structure is forced on the clubs and reason is the 20/25 not the salary cap. If we didn't have the 20//25 there would be nothing to stop Wigan paying these lot £35 or £40K if they felt they were worth it. No 20/25 would mean it would be up to the clubs to distribute the money they have under the salary cap fairly.

So the RFL and clubs don't even need to increase the salary cap to be able to help young players out and give them a fair wage for a professional sportsman relative to their experience.

If the RFL and SL clubs implement this idea that 20% of the first team squad are from a clubs own academy then the 20/25 is surely redundant. I wonder of that has dawned on anyone at the RFL?

That one small change would help out our game and the young players a lot I feel.

Dave
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

DaveO posted:
This quote:

"It's wrong that there are blokes who train as hard as I do at the Bulldogs but they get paid stuff all for their hard work. "

Is something is the same sort of thing I have been saying have for a long time. You have players like Ashton, Prescott and Hill who will all be on peanuts and who are all playing alongside and against pllayers on 10 times the wage who are not 10 times as good.

This kind of wage structure is forced on the clubs and reason is the 20/25 not the salary cap. If we didn't have the 20//25 there would be nothing to stop Wigan paying these lot £35 or £40K if they felt they were worth it. No 20/25 would mean it would be up to the clubs to distribute the money they have under the salary cap fairly.

So the RFL and clubs don't even need to increase the salary cap to be able to help young players out and give them a fair wage for a professional sportsman relative to their experience.

If the RFL and SL clubs implement this idea that 20% of the first team squad are from a clubs own academy then the 20/25 is surely redundant. I wonder of that has dawned on anyone at the RFL?

That one small change would help out our game and the young players a lot I feel.

Dave
some good points in there

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
Shevi 4 life

Post by Shevi 4 life »

willie mason and intillegent only go together in a sentence is if NOT is in the middle of them
There expanding knowsley road from 3 car park spaces to 4
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Shevi 4 life posted:
willie mason and intillegent only go together in a sentence is if NOT is in the middle of them
Some good points in that post too! :lol:

Seriously, the concept of the salary cap is not the problem, its the structure. Its needs redesigning to allow a number of things: the development of a large number of juniors without penalising the organisations that choose to do this, the retention of a percentage of those juniors that fullfil their potential by the clubs that developed them and the perminant support of a small pool of elite players that are valuable to the game as a whole. The retention of Timana Tahu in the NRL would be an example of the latter, Ashton would not (he is not yet proven).
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐