Next Years Team

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
dany2k

Next Years Team

Post by dany2k »

With all the released players, terminated contracts and retirements that are looming, I have a feeling our halfback Combo next season is gonna be Brown and Orr. Many people might be siding towards Brown in the Centres, but when you look at the fact that we have Vaeliki(sp?), Aspinwall and Wild on his new two year contract, competing for those two spots, it makes me wonder how we will squeeze four first teamers into two places without reverting to the above.

Heres how I feel they will line up, if and when injury-free next season

FB Radz
WG Dallas
CT Vaealiki
CT Aspinwall
WG Carney
SO Brown
SH Orr
PR Farrell
HO Newton
PR Davico
2R Tickle
2R Hock
LF O'Loughlin

Bench
Sculthorpe
Seu-Seu
Wild
M.Smith

Then of course there are the other prospects such as Beswick, Hansen, Melling, Hargreaves, Prescott etc to come in when we have injuries. Personally I hope we offer one final year to Adrian Lam who proved against the Saints tonights that hes still got it, although I wouldnt rate him as the best Scrum Half in SuperLeague anymore. If we did keep him, it would pose a selection headache for Gregory or Betts, who would you leave out of the 17?

Radz, Dallas, Vaealiki, Brown, Carney, Orr, Lam, Davico, Newton, Farrell, Tickle, Hock, O'Loughlin
Replacements: Seu-Seu, Scully, Aspinwall, Wild?

Tsk, this coaching lark is harder than I thought. No problems, we can just go ahead and get our usual 10 first team injuries and see how far we can stretch the team next year!
GeoffN

Re: Next Years Team

Post by GeoffN »

I wouldn't start Faz at prop, otherwise fairly close.
(I like the policy of rotating both props, and we can't rotate Faz - he'd refuse to come off!)
I've not seen enough of Davico and Seuseu to choose between them, but I'd go for one of them with Scully and Faz 2nd row with Hock.
4 forwards on the bench, yes, because Wild can play anywhere, and Lockers can drop back if needed.
wigan_babe_13

Re: Next Years Team

Post by wigan_babe_13 »

I would go for:

1. Radlinski
2. Dallas
3. Aspinwall
4. Vaeliki
5. Carney
6. O'Loughlin
7. Orr
8. Seuseu
9. Newton
10.Davico
11.Wild
12.Tickle
13.Farrell

14.Hock
15.Brown
16.Sculthorpe
17.M.Smith

I think O'Loughlin has played his best games since he has been moved back to stand-off (his preferred position) in the last few games so it would be better for him, and for the team, if he is playing well and creating chances from stand-off. We could rotate Faz and Hock between loose-forward and second-row!