41-16

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
adrenalinxx

Re: 41-16

Post by adrenalinxx »

Your only as strong as your worst player and when Ashton plays like that its not surprise that Wigan lost.

When your full back is playing so badly players start losing confidence in him and that leads players to do some daft things in defence.

There were other players who didn't have great game but when your full back cost you 14 points what more can you do.
sedbergh

Post by sedbergh »

I was at the game and didn't find myself criticising Gansen which is unusual for me. Calderwood deserved to get sin binned. Can't blame him for lying on in the tackle. If he'd had held the Huddersfield player down another 5 minutes we still wouldn't have had everyone back. I thought calderwood worked hard today and he goes looking for work. In general, the team seemed flat. No urgency at all. The Giants made 10 metres with every tackle and we just let them. If they picked up the ball on their own try line then you just knew they would finish their set in our half.
Huddersfield got their game plan right. Thorman kicked well. They exploited Ashton's failure to catch a high kick very successfully. Perhaps there was a time in the game to switch Ashton and Richards around as Ashton's positional play was appalling, but Nobby obviously thought better to leave things as they were.
Huddersfield's brand of rugby wasn't flashy but it was effective. They controlled the ball much better than us, made few mistakes and kicked well. The better team won on the day. It's just a shame that we couldn't have taken the enthusiasm showm at Leeds into this game.
lancaster077

Post by lancaster077 »

Ive heard the commentary and it was a woeful performance,We have Fielden who at four hundred and fifty thousand pounds and god knows what wage he is on is nowhere near the player he was for Bradford,then you have Lynch for Bradford Cayless for Saints,Graham for Saints,Thackery for Leeds,Peacock for Leeds even Eorl Crabtree are all playing lots better this season and on much less wages than what Fielden is on.What is going on????

As for Nobles tactics, The old Bradford game, forwards banging it up the middle with no width and no set moves to note,how many times has Calderwood and Richards recieved the ball on the wing in space?
Im having a rant because nobody else can see it and its so obvious and predictable its unbelivable.
Even Huddersfield who are bottom can see it thats why we lost,should we be loosing to this team if we have hopes and dreams of winning anything this year.

The Comments after the game from Noble will be "We were very tired" or "We did silly things" or "There is room for improvement"
which has been like this all season when are we going to see improvement? when are we going to stop the silly things?

People say we are in a transitional period how about getting a settled side then building with key players, we have had a different squad every year for 5 seasons.
Also there is no competition for places with players just going through the motions picking up there cash at the end of the month.
Endacott,Raper,Monie,West,Lowe,even Eric Hughes had better bloody tactics, wake up and smell the coffee.
fitzy

Post by fitzy »

you make a good point lancaster077 i see what your saying about not using the wingers last week at leeds how did we win? ok maybe not by the actual winger but we got the ball out wide and look what happened we scored!
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

OAM posted:
Millward was and is a far better coach than Noble will ever be
What are you on. Ask Kris Radlinski his opinion of TAP as a coach :doz:
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Laura-xo

Post by Laura-xo »

The players came out today thinking it was gonna be an easy game and it wasn't.

They made it hard work for themselves really.

Lets put this behind us and hope we win next week which i'm sure after this wake up call we will.

I don't agree that Calderwood deserved to get sin binned, it seemed a bit petty. Ganson didn't do us any favours in general.

What was going on with Ashton?! He was a joke! I'd rather have Withers there than him now, and i used to be the first to call him! He made bad kicks from Giants look good because of his shambollic posistioning.

A bad performance from Wigan and lets just hope we play better next week!

Laura
Loyal Supporters

He goes to the lefttt,
He goes to the riiiightt,
Mark Calderwood,,

Richards is Superman
honestly!
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

yese and Nobles as had a pocket full of money to try and build a team and he as not managed it yet

maybe the same culture that Millward was trying to get out of the club is still with us in that changing room
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Fraggle,
Yes Calderwood had to go to the bin as he laid on, I'm not too critical because he was the only man on the field who could catch Wild! and if he had not laid on we would certainly have conceded immediately. Yes we then conceded 2 tries whilst he was off but that was down to the other noddys on the field.
No 2 son and I both agreed that we deserved to lose today but the score does not reflect the game or Wigans performance, we played some attractive rugby and then let ourselves down with the last pass. Ganson did give two penalties against us when we had the ball but the players should realise that if you give Ganson the opportunity to penalise us which both Barrett and Ashton did then the scouser will go ahead and penalise Wigan.
I thought that both Brown and Wild had storming individual games and also they seemed intent on combining together time and time again to show us that they should not have been chopped.
MOTM Vaelaeki by a mile, followed by Leuluai.
It was obvious during the game why Huddersfield had the lowest points against figure apart from Stains, their defence was outstanding and from memory I don't remember them losing the ball in the tackle once throughout the game. As against Hull KR it is difficult to beat a team who have zero errors.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Huddersfield are the form team at the moment so this was anything but an easy match. It shocked me beforehand that people perceived it as a certain 2 points. Sharpe also knows Nobby better than most being his GB assistant. Although that to an extent cuts both ways.

Forget the whys, the fact is we are not good enough, we are certainly not good enough to play dumb and win. Saints are by far the best team whilst Saints, Leeds and Bradford are a top 3 above the rest. The rest are much of a muchness, mediocre. The rest have to play well to win. They have to be really enthusiastic, complete 70% +, kick / chase well, miss few tackles.

There is no quick fix. It will take even longer given Ashton is leaving, players like Withers / Millard will not make us top 3 material and the indifferent form of Fielden.

It will be interesteing to see how much progress we make this season. By progress I only compare the Noble team that finished last season and the Noble coached 2007 team. Time will tell.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Just to add we manage 1 good game every 3 games at the moment. Forget Easter fixture congestion / heat / referees. We cannot change those.

Anybody playing Huddersfield knows you must keep them off your own line. Field position is everything.