Ashton and Union?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Laura-xo

Re: Ashton and Union?

Post by Laura-xo »

Yep deffo!
Unless there is some kind of miracle and Ashton ends up staying or they find a full back that isn't to much money and can run 70mph down field :)
Loyal Supporters

He goes to the lefttt,
He goes to the riiiightt,
Mark Calderwood,,

Richards is Superman
honestly!
turf

Post by turf »

Did you see the determination on Ashton's face when he was running? You'd have thought that there was a gang of robbers with machetes after him

That 2nd try last night mean a lot to him.

Yes, Calderwood (missing Ashton's pace) will not be on his own.

These two are best buddies I think from the way that Ashton and him did roly poly's.

I thought hat was touching. As well has the hugging and patting on the back.
Laura-xo

Post by Laura-xo »

Yep i think you posted that on the MOM thread.
Like i said on there they are good mates and will be a shame to see him go! I hope there are some clauses that if they get relegated he can stay with us! I do rate him as a player when he gives his all.
Loyal Supporters

He goes to the lefttt,
He goes to the riiiightt,
Mark Calderwood,,

Richards is Superman
honestly!
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

cpwigan posted:
Here is a thought. Several players have signed mainly union players to go to league and then asked the league club could they tear the contract up due to them having second thoughts. Zin Zan Brooke signed a contract to play for Manly under Graham Lowe. He asked for it to be ripped up and Lowey agreed. Mr Whelan work on Ashton.
Mr Whelan please don't, i would rather we had a player who wants to play for his club, he didn't want to play for this great club, he wanted the money, he is not worthy, one good game and everybody forgets how poor he has been
The King

Post by The King »

I cant believe some of the posts on here. Talk about one eyed Wigan fans :lol:
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

turf posted:
Did you see the determination on Ashton's face when he was running? You'd have thought that there was a gang of robbers with machetes after him

That 2nd try last night mean a lot to him.

Yes, Calderwood (missing Ashton's pace) will not be on his own.

These two are best buddies I think from the way that Ashton and him did roly poly's.

I thought hat was touching. As well has the hugging and patting on the back.
:eusa13: :eusa13:
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

The King posted:
I cant believe some of the posts on here. Talk about one eyed Wigan fans :lol:
If it was just Wigan fans' opinions, how do you explain his England selection, or his shortlisting for "young player of the year"?
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

He is a talent but some peoples sycophantic postings are laughable , last season he was very good in a poor team ,for the first half of the season he was the only player worth watching .

This season with the move to union and lack of anything rugby wise until the Wakey game he has been poor . I cheered his last try the other night and it is ashame he wont be doing that in our shirt for years to come but as for the '' theirs only one Chris Ashton '' just couldn't do it , the parading in the shirt thing finished that for me :(
02/04/2010/

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Why? The professional views in RL are that he is an outstanding talent. The professional views in Union supported that and they were prepared to pay a huge sum for him. Last season, he won award after award including suporter one. You hardly heard a whimper of criticism. Shock horror he signs a union contract and in some peopes eyes becomes a whipping boy, a hopeles player, an over the hill injury prone player suddenly becomes much better. I think I prefer my own consistent view and that of others to those who change tact just because he does something we do not agree with. Challenge his actions BUT a 360 on his playing ability seems churlish.

Pace and an inate anticipation / suport of team mates are two remarkably valuable qualities.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

cpwigan posted:
Why? The professional views in RL are that he is an outstanding talent. The professional views in Union supported that and they were prepared to pay a huge sum for him. Last season, he won award after award including suporter one. You hardly heard a whimper of criticism. Shock horror he signs a union contract and in some peopes eyes becomes a whipping boy, a hopeles player, an over the hill injury prone player suddenly becomes much better. I think I prefer my own consistent view and that of others to those who change tact just because he does something we do not agree with. Challenge his actions BUT a 360 on his playing ability seems churlish.

Pace and an inate anticipation / suport of team mates are two remarkably valuable qualities.

Never doubted the lads talent,pace is a gift and he as it in abundance I was gutted to see him leave, I would go so far as to say he is the best back potential wise since we brought Billy Whizz through although we will not see him give the same years of service and entertainment .

My views of him as a potential GB player who on his day even now at his tender age could trouble the best players as not changed no 360 turns from me and yes given the choice of Ashton and Withers it would be Ashton but on his form up until the last game Withers would have been the full back in my opinion form wise

I do think the timing of this move at his early age effected his form early on and it also can effect the general environment and other players also this has not done us any favors .

If you have a young talented player from your town playing for his club and saying what a honer it is to adorn the shirt and also playing better than so called overpaid overseas superstars you wont ear a whimper , on the other hand if the same lad turns round weeks later saying how union is a big game and wearing another teams shirt and his form is poor you will ear whisperings and you cant call it churlish just disappointment
02/04/2010/

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!