Warriors Trio Agree New Contracts!!!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
lucky 13

Re: Warriors Trio Agree Ne...

Post by lucky 13 »

cpwigan posted:
DV has an awful lot to prove before he gets a new contract IMO. We need a strike centre. He has to be that player otherwise he should be released. His effort has been great this year BUT we need cutting edge in the centre.
Agree he has a lot to prove and would need to take a large cut in earnings
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
WiganWarrior

Post by WiganWarrior »

Great news on the Wigan lads getting a new deal nice to see us wrapping up local talent. I hope Vealiki (sp) if he leaves us goes back to the NRL i wouldnt like him to come and haunt us
Wigan til i Die !!!!

"Its like a game of union the ball disappears for 3-4 tackles then appears to be kicked" BBC GMR
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

gleason looked a class player at the u21s on sunday scored 3 and set a couple up didnt he CPWIGAN :blush:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

i believe we have a very good solid base of home grown young talent and its great news to see this talent signed up. Now lets bring them through to the first team squad and give them palying time, even off the bench if need be
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

mike binder

Post by mike binder »

after watching the u21s the future looks good ,but it allways does till they get to the first team :angry:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

come on Mike have faith in the lads, i have heard and read some very good reports of lads in the junior set up, believe Shaun Wayne as been tremendous is bringing these lads on

well done Shaun
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

He had a good game Mike. However, the opposition was not that testing. Whenever he plays at a higher level he gets found out defensively and his only strength is a back hand flick pass. As a runner he struggles v first team quality.

I believe you only get 2 or 3 at the most from each age group that come through to play at the highest level per season. For me Ashton, O'Carrol an Goulding are the first 3 with Tomkins (Joel) and McLlorum then ext most likely 2. Stanton, Kavanagh, Coyle and Colbon have potential BUT as it stands that is all. I blieve all 4 will make it professionally BUT whether it will be at Wigan only tme will tell. Gleeson will have a decent non SL career IMO.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

It was John Monie who said if you get three U21 players from a champion U21 side making it in to the first team you have done well.

Looks like these are the three players the coaching staff think are going to make it.

So I expect a few of the other U21 players to be leaving at the end of the season and by the sound of it that could include Gleeson who not so long ago was being tipped to be better than his more illustrious centre brother.

Part of the reason for the inevitable forthcoming clear out is that stupid 20/25 rule. Players like Tomkins will be another year older and will want to start earning a pro sportsman's wage while they can so whenever their contract expires they have a tough choice. Stick at Wigan on a pittance or move on to a less fashionable club for more dosh.

Anyway I am glad we have signed these three because when you think about it they cover three positions we need players. Centre (Dv or even Bailey's replacement if Bailey moves to 2nd row on Fletchers retirement), prop obviously and hooker (as Millards legs have quite simply gone!)

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

It is important we do produce some first team players from this crop as I believe the best potential re backs will be the U16's we have signed this year and obviously they are 3 to 4 years away from being ready. Ainscough is a decent winger in the U18s BUT I see little beyond him. We have quite a few forwards of similar potential.

As Dave O has pointed out. Ideally you want to be bringing people through in the positions where you are likely to lose players. So Mcllorum for Millward and so on.

It really is tough to make it at the highest level. For every success there are umpteen left broken hearted.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Don't forget to add Flannegan to this group - it seems ridiculous in the days of the salary caps and 20/25 for us to sign a 18/20 year old to strengthen our academy side - so Noble presumably sees him as Barrett eventual replacement?
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------