Northampton crash out of top grade umnion

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
highland convert

Northampton crash out of top grade umnion

Post by highland convert »

Well it is now official Northhampton are down. Even though they won so did the only team that could have saved them. Ashton in second grade in second grade rugby. Tragic but thats life. HC :eh:
lucky 13

Re: Northampton crash out of t...

Post by lucky 13 »

he as made is bed now he will have to lie in it also says he may have a broken ankle in tonights WEP
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Matthew

Re: Northampton crash out ...

Post by Matthew »

As I've stated on here before - he'll have at least a season to learn the game in the NL1, which will mean a lot less pressure and media attention and will definitely make things easier.

Also he will still be paid the same amount of money that he signed for - so I don't that you will hear him complain.

Apparently there was a lot of disagreement in the Northampton dressing room between the players. Relegation will mean that Northampton will enter a rebuilding phase and there will no doubt be a clearing out of a lot of dead wood.
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Ah well!
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Matthew posted:
As I've stated on here before - he'll have at least a season to learn the game in the NL1, which will mean a lot less pressure and media attention and will definitely make things easier.
yes agree
Also he will still be paid the same amount of money that he signed for - so I don't that you will hear him complain.
not sure if he will get the full £140 000 ,his contract is nearer to £70 000 the rest to be made up of bonuses and endorsements I am led to believe. The amount quoted is a glamorized press headline which W igan were eager to back up which we offered near 60 000 which means he left for 10 000 a season .[/quote]
Apparently there was a lot of disagreement in the Northampton dressing room between the players. Relegation will mean that Northampton will enter a rebuilding phase and there will no doubt be a clearing out of a lot of dead wood.
maybe we could pick up a good full back :wink:
02/04/2010/

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Matthew posted:
The pressure will be to get promoted right away. No pressure in that? I think so. He will be expected to perform in league 1 as much as in the premiership from day 1. All this about it being no bad thing is just putting a brave face on a bad situation. Northampton have not gone down for a bit of R&R.

Where do you think he would rather be playing? Against Leicester or Otely?
That is debatable. I don't think his wages are supposed to be just a salary of £140K but include performance bonuses and whether he gets the full wack in league 1 is an interesting question.
No doubt but that also means it is by no means certain they will get promoted straight back up after next season.

If he doesn't end up earning his reported salary due to relegation he would have been wise to do what I said at the start. Make his name in league in the next three years and then at the ripe old age of 23 name his price in either code.

I reckon he has been very badly advised by Andy Clarke to sign for a relegation threatened club especially as there were supposed to be other interested RU sides, all of whom are still in the top flight!

Dave
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

If as I have eared he will only be on 10 000 more in the second teer of RU than he would have been signing a near 60 000 per season deal with us it under lines his agents reasons for helping him with this move GREED the decision is it looks like not in Ashtons interest .
02/04/2010/

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

DaveO posted:
Matthew posted:
The pressure will be to get promoted right away. No pressure in that? I think so. He will be expected to perform in league 1 as much as in the premiership from day 1. All this about it being no bad thing is just putting a brave face on a bad situation. Northampton have not gone down for a bit of R&R.

Where do you think he would rather be playing? Against Leicester or Otely?
Where he'd rather be playing is largely irrelevant now! He may prefer the big grounds and games - however you could be sure that every opposing team would have targeted him and it is probably easier to have a NL1 standoff trying to make your life difficult rather than someone like Alex King.

Of course there will be pressure to get promoted straight back up - howvever as Harlequins proved when they bounced up at the first attempt, a lot of the teams that they will face will be light years behind Northampton. I am not sure of the salary cap restrictions in RU NL1 - however they can't be as restrictive as they are in RL
DaveO posted:
Matthew posted:
That is debatable. I don't think his wages are supposed to be just a salary of £140K but include performance bonuses and whether he gets the full wack in league 1 is an interesting question.
Fair point - however there will still be sponsership money available for him. It might not be as much - however it is not like he was going to get an elite Nike sponsorship anyway. He will be sponsored by local companies who want to raise their profile with Northampton fans.

DaveO posted:
Matthew posted:
No doubt but that also means it is by no means certain they will get promoted straight back up after next season.
Agreed - however some of the teams in NL1 would struggle to compete with the Northampton academy side. Whilst it isn't guaranteed (and what in sport is?), Northampton have a sugar Daddy and so shouldn't struggle to replace the players who leave with ones of a decent standard.
DaveO posted:
If he doesn't end up earning his reported salary due to relegation he would have been wise to do what I said at the start. Make his name in league in the next three years and then at the ripe old age of 23 name his price in either code.

I reckon he has been very badly advised by Andy Clarke to sign for a relegation threatened club especially as there were supposed to be other interested RU sides, all of whom are still in the top flight!

Very true - however that has never been up for debate!
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
vikingstorm

Re: Northampton crash out of t...

Post by vikingstorm »

Big Mistake by Ashton and his representatives. Big Mistake.

Instead of being a part of Something potentially fantastic at Wigan. He will be playing at Pertemp Bees

What a Fool, and whichever Idiot advised him............Should be shot.

Wigan is a Great Rugby League Club, On reflection, it is possible that he does not have the right characteristics to represent Wigan Rugby League
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

only time will tell but good post
02/04/2010/

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!