Mike Gregory

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
MrsLam

Mike Gregory

Post by MrsLam »

Just heard on Rock fm that a paper has said Mike and wigan 'bosses' are meeting later on and his illness could prevent him from coming back.

Stories on it at http://www.skysports.com/skysports/arti ... 44,00.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 615536.stm

http://www.teletext.co.uk/sport/generic ... =1&ref=190

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague ... Wigan.html

:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
ian.birchall

Re: Mike Gregory

Post by ian.birchall »

M
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

MrsLam, if you go back far enough on this web you will see that I foresaw this happening about 6 weeks into Denis Betts good run, but that was before it all went sour as our player pool dried up. The one good point to come out of it is that with only 1 first team coach it should leave us more loot to sign players.
Still sad to see Mike Gregory go but certainly the last time he appeared on the big screen he did not look at all well :(
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Welsh Warrior

Post by Welsh Warrior »

Its all over the teletext as well. Shame. Whatever he does I just wish him Good Luck.
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

I remembered someone saying it didn't realise it was you!
Shame it's come to an end like it did, are we keeping Betts full time though?

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
Pem Rover

Post by Pem Rover »

Does anyone know anything about the condition he has has been suffering from? I understood the treatment in the USA was considered to be successful. Is the calculation that rehabilitation is going to take too long or are there likely to be longer lasting residual effects.Either way it is such a sad episode. Up until this point the club have appeared to be totally supportive. I trust any decision about Mike's future will be arrived at by mutual consent.
John M

Post by John M »

Gregory has got what is known as 'Tick disease' caused by a certain insect bite. Its much more serious than the club has let on. People can actually die from it. Infact,i know of someone who has. There is no chance that Mike will ever be fit enough to return to Wigan. The fact is that once it gets you it is very,very hard to cure. I think the treatment he has had will be to slow its effects down rather than to cure it. He should of gone to America the moment he found out he had the disease,not after the CC Final.

Betts will almost definately be the full time coach now but ive heard on the grapevine that we will get a director of football in as well. No idea who it will be but i pray that its John Monie.
Monie is God!

Long live Monie the king!!
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

Some people never change :D
We can all hope for you and AJ that it will be John Monie but don't get your hopes too high love.

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
John M

Post by John M »

If it is John Monie i will do undisclosed things behind closed doors to celebrate!! :cool:
Monie is God!

Long live Monie the king!!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Yes, as Ian says, it's sadly not unexpected. Looks pretty certain to be Denis...maybe with Lammy as assistant?
Best wishes, Mike.