Did Mason end Feilden?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Did Mason end Feilden?

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I was just thinking to myself how much reputation matters. If you think about Feka now, everyone in the league is worried about tackling him because he is a train!. That little sense of doubt before they make impact with him probably makes him even more effective.

Now look at feilden, rated one of the best props in the world, he got floored by Mason, and now it seems like tacklers ae looking to flatten him rather than being worried about him getting through or past them. no one is worried about taking on feilden wingers come in fancing their chances.

what i mean is i remember watching Bradford play leeds when Feilden was a bull and the ball came loose and he picked it up, there were 4 defenders infront of him and the all just stopped dead waiting to see what he was going to do. Now, as soon as he gets the ball they pounce on him, they cant get to him quick enough. Add to the fact no-one is scared of him after the Mason and Ratford issue anymore.

I just think that Feilden is going to have to be better than he was at his best to get his form back and maybe thats just too steep a hill to climb
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Glynola

Re: Did Mason end Feilden?

Post by Glynola »

Wigan_forever19 85 posted:
If you think about Feka now, everyone in the league is worried about tackling him because he is a train!.

Now look at feilden, rated one of the best props in the world, he got floored by Mason, and now it seems like tacklers ae looking to flatten him rather than being worried about him getting through or past them. no one is worried about taking on feilden wingers come in fancing their chances.

what i mean is i remember watching Bradford play leeds when Feilden was a bull and the ball came loose and he picked it up, there were 4 defenders infront of him and the all just stopped dead waiting to see what he was going to do. Now, as soon as he gets the ball they pounce on him, they cant get to him quick enough. Add to the fact no-one is scared of him after the Mason and Ratford issue anymore.

I just think that Feilden is going to have to be better than he was at his best to get his form back and maybe thats just too steep a hill to climb
Feka is on for around half the time Fielden is on, so the comparison is not a valid one.

Fielden gets 'pounced on' because teams know that if they mark him out the game Wigan's pack is weak.
Everything they do is so dramatic and flamboyant. It just makes me want to set myself on fire!
whu

Post by whu »

Now this argument is summit i just don't understand, he was decked by Mason with a clean punch that to be honest would have put a hell of alot of people on their ass, it was'nt just a slap remember. Surely it's just a case of him not playing well, everyone has a time where the standards drop. I am only able to watch games on tv but he has to me never played much worse than most of the others.
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

Fielden has gradually been going down hill even when he was at Bradford. He role was overrated at Wigan last season, he was just a target man who the defence would go to allowing player like Hock, Fletcher and Feka more space.

He looked useless this season because other teams have realised he doesn't pose that much threat so can spend more time containing Hock and Fletch and still keep Fielden quiet.
LooseHead

Post by LooseHead »

It's a sad state of affairs if a tough lad like Fielden, who must have handed out a few hard knocks to other people, gets his confidence ripped away by being flattened by a cheap shot from Mason. What I couldnt understand is why (as when Martin Dermott famously started fighting with Paul Harrogan in 1992 after the Ian Lucas incident) no GB player put Mason on his arse later that game.

Fielden will come back to form ; this time last year we all thought he was god and you dont suddenly lose all that. He's not that old too. I'll admit to being a big critic of his recent efforts but thinking back on it I think it's a lot to do with Nobby throwing him on their every week when he's having a nightmare, not Stu's fault. He'll come through it and we'll have a great pack in a month or two..
- psycho -

Post by - psycho - »

The_Bad_Guy posted:
Glynola posted:
Fielden gets 'pounced on' because teams know that if they mark him out the game Wigan's pack is weak.
Agreed.

fletch was a ibg miss on friday. he's the only other 80 minute impact player in our pack
oh, i don't know about that. o'loughlin makes a big enough impact with his tackling and i reckon gazza could do a full 80, he takes the ball up much better than fletcher as much as i rate flec.

i think teams have sussed fielden out now. at bradford he was palying with huge players, lynch, joe vagana, peacock, these are big lads. without a big pack i don't think fielden is the same. last season he was immense, and e had scotty logan, feka, fielden and fletcher all playing and rotating at prop.

i think teams target fielden now as a weak link in a not so big pack. with feka only spending 40 minutes on, we are for half a match without a dominant impact player. we need to sign a big guy. coley i wouldnt mind, id prefer ryles tbh but we need antoher prop who will come on the field and make some form of impact like feka.

mistake to let scully go? :conf:
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

all Fielden needs to do is get his head right , but this needs to happen sooner now rather than later.
He as proved he can do it, and he can do it again. I think Nobby will put him right
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

turf

Post by turf »

Gettig his head right takes longer than you think to do. Give give him time and support.

That is what he needs - NOT a slating!!!!!!!!!!
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

i am not slating him

i for one want him to prove how good he is

which he will
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

JJwilliams

Post by JJwilliams »

It's obvious that Fieldens confidence has been knocked by the whole Mason and Radford thing. Bigger still is the personal heartache he is dealing with. I challenge anyone to not change whilst going through the difficult time that he has. We as Wigan fans need to support him and he will come good, could you honestly say that he is any worse than any of our other players? The guy is class,theirs no two ways about it!!!