Robbie worries about relegation

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
MrsLam

Robbie worries about relegation

Post by MrsLam »

"Do away with super league relegation"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 638660.stm

First of all I don't agree with him anyway, I think there should be a team relegated as it adds a bit more competition to the game at the end of the season. He's said though that he feels Halifax and Cas/Widnes add something to superleague and it would be a shame to lose them.
Cas have a tremendous tradition in the sport - they've never been relegated in their history and it would be a travesty to lose a team like them - or Widnes for that matter - from the top tier.
I don't understand how he can say this though, alright they didn't do as little as Fax last year but they've still not really offered much competition to the other clubs. If they're good enough to be in superleague they'll come back up in two years time, simple enough.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
robjoenz

Re: Robbie worries about releg...

Post by robjoenz »

I agree with you on both counts MrsLam. You need relegation so there's a point to doing well at both ends and to give other teams a chance at the top flight, the chance for more than 12 clubs to develop.

I've heard all this talk about it being a travesty that one bad season should cost them their place in Super League but at the end of the day their preseason training and planning for this season was substandard and every other team has performed better and more consistently than them, so if (and probably when) they finish bottom they will deserve to be relegated. It'll send out the message that you need to perform every single season to stay in Super League.
wolftown warrior

Re: Robbie worries about r...

Post by wolftown warrior »

agree with both of u mrs lam & rob, u need something to play for at both ends of the table.. look at salford they have adjusted to top flight football well enough.. next season will be the one for them, now everoyne knows there style of play etc.. & it is good to see teams like whitehaven, leigh & featherstone also right now.. having the chance to come up into superleague
with the cap in place, all teams should be able to compete from the off.. this years relegation battle is going down to the wire.. great for the sport!!! if not for the teams invloved!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Absolutely. The NL1 teams have to have something to aim for.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

wolftown warrior posted:
...it is good to see teams like whitehaven, leigh & featherstone also right now.. having the chance to come up into superleague

this years relegation battle is going down to the wire.. great for the sport!!! if not for the teams invloved!
I hope Whitehaven get promoted as I've just moved there and it'll be my home-away match.

Don't think relegation battle will go down to the wire as they're currently eighth and are away at the JJB on the last day of the season.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

robjoenz posted:
I hope Whitehaven get promoted as I've just moved there and it'll be my home-away match.

Don't think relegation battle will go down to the wire as they're currently eighth and are away at the JJB on the last day of the season.
:D :D
I hope Leigh come up, 'cos I'll enjoy beating them more than Haven. I suspect whichever one comes up will go straight back down, though.
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

I hope Leigh dont, used to work there and every year it's the same. ",leighs turn for super league promotion this year" Still not happened...

Saying that though, they'd bring a fair few to our ground seen as though they always think they're gonna smash us, again...still not happened! Would be good to have two big derby games.

^Above is a good example of MrsLam completely contradicting herself in the second paragraph. heeheee

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

MrsLam posted:
I hope Leigh dont, used to work there and every year it's the same. ",leighs turn for super league promotion this year" Still not happened...

Saying that though, they'd bring a fair few to our ground seen as though they always think they're gonna smash us, again...still not happened! Would be good to have two big derby games.

^Above is a good example of MrsLam completely contradicting herself in the second paragraph. heeheee
That's called schizophrenia...gonna join us in our madhouse?
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

Don't make me go back there please:(

They tied my arms behind my back and put me in a white coat, I wasn't allowed to take them out even to eat a pie

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

They've got a lot better now - they have cherry & white coats.