If St Helens broke the cap...

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

If St Helens broke the cap...

Post by ancientnloyal »

...then surely the Super League title they won should be stripped from them as a salary cap is an obvious 'cheat' to some extents.

a deduction of 4 points means nothing for St Helens, in all probability they will finish 1 or 2 this season and possibly easily get to the Grand Final regardless of who they play - so a points deduction means nothing.

It could mean teams like St Helens can be deducted 12 points and still finish 2nd or 3rd! It makes not one bit of a difference... just a play off game extra against 5th/6th place.

absolutely stupid... they could spend £2m each season and win exactly the same!!
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
- psycho -

Re: If St Helens broke the cap...

Post by - psycho - »

ifthat's the case, we cheated to and we should be down.
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
Banksy

Re: If St Helens broke the...

Post by Banksy »

Yes if we get a 12 point deduction we should be playing NL1 rugby this season.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Yeh but it seemed like im picking on st helens but it's aimed at the salary cap as a whole, which is discussed in other topics... i was meant to highlight the super league title advantage/disadvantage with the Cap.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
the big i

Re: If St Helens broke the cap...

Post by the big i »

ancientnloyal posted:
...then surely the Super League title they won should be stripped from them as a salary cap is an obvious 'cheat' to some extents.

a deduction of 4 points means nothing for St Helens, in all probability they will finish 1 or 2 this season and possibly easily get to the Grand Final regardless of who they play - so a points deduction means nothing.

It could mean teams like St Helens can be deducted 12 points and still finish 2nd or 3rd! It makes not one bit of a difference... just a play off game extra against 5th/6th place.

absolutely stupid... they could spend £2m each season and win exactly the same!!
To be fair what about bradford the year before?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

ancientnloyal posted:
Yeh but it seemed like im picking on st helens but it's aimed at the salary cap as a whole, which is discussed in other topics... i was meant to highlight the super league title advantage/disadvantage with the Cap.
Karl Harrison made the same point on the phone in. He specifically said a points deduction doesn't mean much to Saints or Bradford and it probably won't.

The fact we are further down the league and any points deduction could mean relegation does not alter the fact even a 12 point deduction is of no real consequence to some clubs.

What this illustrates is even technically the same punishment (i.e. same points deduction) does not have the same effect on those punished.

Dave
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

All salary cap etc should be sorted out at begining of season so that you cannot play the super league when over the cap.
Therefore having to go through the rfl to buy and sell mid season.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
ste lord

Post by ste lord »

Therefore having to go through the rfl to buy and sell mid season.[/quote]

I think this is in for next season

Keep Wigan "Wigan"

gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Fair point Dave but the advantage Wigan gained by breaking the cap (staying in Super League) is arguably greater than that of either Bradford or Saints. I think if we had had 8 points or so deducted at the beginning of the season and were forced to play every game as if it mattered to us (which we haven't) we would have still been looking at a top 6 finish. 8 points deduction now would leave us in turmoil. The team's attitude needs looking at, but I fear Nobby may have left it too late!

By the way, there can't be many Super league teams with a smaller squad than ours I wouldn't have thought.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

gpartin posted:
Fair point Dave but the advantage Wigan gained by breaking the cap (staying in Super League) is arguably greater than that of either Bradford or Saints.
Well Saints won everything last season while breaking the cap so you can't gain more than that and of course the season before Bradford broke the cap as we did and they won the GF.
I think if we had had 8 points or so deducted at the beginning of the season and were forced to play every game as if it mattered to us (which we haven't) we would have still been looking at a top 6 finish. 8 points deduction now would leave us in turmoil. The team's attitude needs looking at, but I fear Nobby may have left it too late!
I agree the timing of this is awful from our point of view.
By the way, there can't be many Super league teams with a smaller squad than ours I wouldn't have thought.
We have 25 players in the first team squad but some are not going to get a game as they are really U21's in real terms. 25 is about average. I think Wire had 23 last season and were quite lucky with injuries for most of it.

Dave