If St Helens broke the cap...

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
gpartin

Re: If St Helens broke the...

Post by gpartin »

DaveO posted:

Well Saints won everything last season while breaking the cap so you can't gain more than that and of course the season before Bradford broke the cap as we did and they won the GF.

Dave
Don't know if the quoting worked but definitely this year and probably last year staying up meant/means more than any trophy?
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

gpartin posted:
DaveO posted:

Well Saints won everything last season while breaking the cap so you can't gain more than that and of course the season before Bradford broke the cap as we did and they won the GF.

Dave
Don't know if the quoting worked but definitely this year and probably last year staying up meant/means more than any trophy?
I agree but the point is the punishments have no credibility if they only affect the teams threatened with relegation more than those at the top of the league.

Saints and Bradford will not and did not have their trophies taken away, prize money taken back and so on.

It simply says if you are high up in the league you can ignore the salary cap penalties.

Dave
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

What do you suggest DaveO? You can't have one rule for one set of clubs and one rule for another, it must be consistent.
JIMH

Post by JIMH »

what i have a problem with is how we look at the cap over here. Lets say St helens broke the cap by getting to and winning the grand final lastyear, because the punishment is only this year they are allowed to keep prize money won for that. What if St helens are a team who only got to use the full £1.8 (whatever the figure is) of there salaray cap because they could count prize money as income. i.e 50% of income used on the cap. is the prize money counted?

we need rid of relegation so we can monitor the cap on a day by day basis and if a team go over the cap they lose points prior to play off for that season and make it punishment fit for purpose, fine a team enough point to finish bottom or out of top 6 etc. it needs to be a worthwhile punsishment but i dont think we should have relegation.

ALSO i dont agree with the cap anyway, in my eyes its a restriction of trade and only there to stop clubs going under. every club should be able to spend what they want as long as there profit and loss accounts at the end of the year show a profit.
WE CAN BEAT SAINTS!!!! YOU KNOWS IT!!!!
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

But does anyone know how much have we gone over by? Were all speculating at the minute and unlike last year the rfl havent released details of how much they feel each club has gone over the cap by
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

robjoenz posted:
What do you suggest DaveO? You can't have one rule for one set of clubs and one rule for another, it must be consistent.
Instead of deducting points you say regardless of how many points you have if you go over by x% then your points tally is reduced to a certain number.

So lets say Wigan and Bradford broke the cap last season by the same amount.

Te RFL could say because you both went over by x% you now have the lesser of 12 league points or how many you have already plus a £100K fine.

Some clubs could end up with a £100K fine and no deduction if they were down the bottom anyway but so what?

The point is it would be equally disastrous for a high flying club as it would one at the bottom.

Dave

JimmyDean

Post by JimmyDean »

DaveO posted:
robjoenz posted:
Instead of deducting points you say regardless of how many points you have if you go over by x% then your points tally is reduced to a certain number.

So lets say Wigan and Bradford broke the cap last season by the same amount.

Te RFL could say because you both went over by x% you now have the lesser of 12 league points or how many you have already plus a £100K fine.

Some clubs could end up with a £100K fine and no deduction if they were down the bottom anyway but so what?

The point is it would be equally disastrous for a high flying club as it would one at the bottom.

Dave
Teams that consistantly break the rules should be punished to the max. The arrogance that they can break the rules that everyone else sticks by is amazing. The whole thing is a shambles,heads should roll.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

ancientnloyal posted:
Yeh but it seemed like im picking on st helens but it's aimed at the salary cap as a whole, which is discussed in other topics... i was meant to highlight the super league title advantage/disadvantage with the Cap.
Nothing wrong with that at all!!
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
OJ

Post by OJ »

Thought it was interesting on the rugby league programme the other night that Nine was a guest on, the journalist (can't remember who he was) sounded like he was practically challenging a super league club to take the RFL to court because the salary cap is a restraint of trade and I have to agree with that. Don't know how long the figure has been hovvering around the same sort of figure and even have an idea the ceiling was lowered recently but there cannot be many occupations where wages are expected to be lowered rather than rise - I suppose it has made a more level playing field in some respects and helped the less well off clubs but if the cap lifted a % each year it would at least be something.
A lady shareholder who rang in also made an interesting remark when she said that the air fair for bringing Michael Dobson's parents over last year was also included in the salary cap :eusa4: now I don't begrudge it them for one moment but it does seem a tad OTT that we were paying for it in the first place or am I just being naive?
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

mike binder

Post by mike binder »

as i keep saying there is only 1 fair way
SCRAP THE CAP
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME