Body Building Question

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
Banksy

Body Building Question

Post by Banksy »

I have just started doing weights for body building and bought my self dumbbells on Monday, I trained with them a lot on the Tuesday. Wednesday all my upper body muscles where sore and stiff, today they are much less stiff but still I can’t exercise with the dumbbells as my muscles ache as I lift them. Is it just a case of my body will get use to that exercise or do I have to limit how much training I do with them? Please help.
ancientnloyal

Re: Body Building Question

Post by ancientnloyal »

1) ALWAYS warm up and warn down before and after exercises... you dont want your muscles to be strained and not warmed down (hence the pain)...

2) dont over do it, start with the smaller weights then build up

3) look around the net for some basic weight training exercises, helps a lot

4) Hope you didnt buy them from Argos
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

And don't fall into the trick of just working the upper body.
Always find it funny when you see blokes with huge arms and chest, but then pin legs :lol:

If you get into training, try and alternate between upper and lower body at each session. It will give your body a chance to recover and don't think you have to lift the max you can. might find it easier doing lighter weights but more reps.

As AnL said, there will be loads of web sites offering advise.

Just be sensible and don't expect overnight miracles.
It took me a few years to get to my physical peak. Unfortunately, that was about 20 years ago and I have since been ravaged by time :lol:
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Come cycling with me up hills. Winter Hill tonight, you need lycra though

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

:lol: Distant memories. Went to the gym years back. Decided we were strength gods and lifted bigger and bigger weights. Finished the session suitably impressed. Woke up the next morning and felt like somebody had put a huge weight on my chest and that my arms were pinned down. Neither were of course. Spent a week walking around with a crushing pain on my upper chest.

When you have lactic acid in your body the only option is to exercise lightly to shake off the effects. Stretching/gentle jog/swimming.

Future gym sessions, warm up and warm down. Shower by switching the water alternately from hot and cold.

When you are old and past it. You simply do not indulge in such activities if you can help it.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Search the internet for anything by Joe Weider he is the man when it comes to weight training, i bought a Weider system traing set about 12 years ago, had a book, muscle charts and a load of excersise charts showing every excersise that you can do with a weight, was only around £25 or so back then, check out ebay, you can't go wrong if you get one of those, everything is set out for you in stages
Banksy

Post by Banksy »

Thanks for all your brilliant advice it is greatly appreciated, not stretching or warming down is probably why I feel like a sack of potatoes so I will go through them stages tomorrow.

I am only building my upper body as I'm happy with my legs they have enough muscle to give me 11.6 seconds on 100 m sprint.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Banksy posted:
Thanks for all your brilliant advice it is greatly appreciated, not stretching or warming down is probably why I feel like a sack of potatoes so I will go through them stages tomorrow.

I am only building my upper body as I'm happy with my legs they have enough muscle to give me 11.6 seconds on 100 m sprint.
But are they as nice as my cycling legs???

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

I just measured around my calfs and they 21 inches :D lol ain't got nithing to do with this thread, but couldn't resist :lol:
Banksy

Post by Banksy »

Correct me if I'm wrong but are cyclists suppose to have very strong legs and low upper body mass on a professional level?