Now we know some of the facts...

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
MrAlex

Now we know some of the facts...

Post by MrAlex »

(and sorry to the mods for creating another thread)

I'm reasonably new here, so please hear me out!

I'd like to start with the "in the spirit of the game" quote from the RFL. WHen a team lost at Wembley to us, we'd clap them as they got their medals and vice versa. When Fielden got taken off last week, many of the Saints fans applauded. We support a sport where sportsmanship is king. I believe we should have respected that, and not tried to bend the rules.

However, with the competitive nature of any competition, there will always be people trying to exploit some advantage. I can understand why you would. But, if the RFL had their policy watertight, completely set in stone, then why could we have been allowed to get away with this at the time.

I'm disappointed in the naivity of my club. I'm disapponted in the RFL not being as organised as it should be. I'm disappointed for the players that have worked hard, and were not involved in this decision.

There should be no way that differred payments, offshore accounts, and any other loopholes could possibly be exploited from now on.

If we continue with the Salary Cap, let's have it sorted out and checked by lawyers. Let's concentrate on becoming what we were when the sport was less complicated...the greatest TEAM in the world.

Don't cheer your club this Sunday, get behind the lads on the pitch...the ones who will take us to the top again.

P.S. I've tried to upload an image on my profile from three machines now, and it's doing my head in...somebody help me!!
weststand-rich

Re: Now we know some of the fa...

Post by weststand-rich »

{quote} There should be no way that differred payments, offshore accounts, and any other loopholes could possibly be exploited from now on.

These both work in different ways. The discretionary employee benefit trust (EBT) that SH used to their advantage in previous years had 2 main advantages to the club that used it, becuase it added genuine spendable value to overseas players:

- Firstly NI (and pension contributions) don't count so it adds real value (15% but dont hold me to the figure) to an available salary cap spend. So here think about the depth and quality of the SH team

- It's discretionary so if you fall out with your club they don't have to pay you and it's tough.

Obviously now the off-shore loop is shut so clubs are liable to back tax at the full rate plus interest....... but it has to be proven.

Deferred payment is totally different because it's a short term artificial attempt to remain within a payment ceiling by robbing Peter to pay Paul.[/quote]
pedro

Re: Now we know some of th...

Post by pedro »

only if its not agreed to by both parties. Otherwise its taking money from Peter to pay Peter later on!