one problem, easily fixed

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Curl

one problem, easily fixed

Post by Curl »

OK, so we've got a load of problems but surely we can fix one of them: the captain.

The main role of captain is to hold things together and be the coach on the field, particularly when the wheels are coming off. Leading from the front with your own play is one thing, but its not enough. The rest of the players need to fear the captain (perhaps 'fear' is too strong, but you know what I mean). As far as I'm concerned there's a few types who can command that level of respect. a) the clear best player on the field, b) a legend of the game whos done it all. c) a player whos been with Wigan for ever and consistently performed (see b also), d) someone who is physically terrifying and always leads from the front.

Preferably you'd combine all 4. Oh, and lose 5 points for stupid curly hair (the reason I'm not Wigan captain, well that and being 45 and fat).

We don't have much to choose from so I'd go with (a) and give it Barrett.

Presumably this would piss off Lockers no end, but it might be a price we have to pay.

UnsungPanapa

Re: one problem, easily fixed

Post by UnsungPanapa »

God!!! not that old chestnut
jaws1

Re: one problem, easily fixed

Post by jaws1 »

errrrrrrrr Lockers got injured early doors against Hull KR who took the captaincy then a kick at goal which was refused would have won us the match instead a kick to touch and tap.The team didnt perform under whoever was captain.
medlocke

Re: one problem, easily fi...

Post by medlocke »

I wouldn't give the captaincy to Barrett, let him concentrate on his own game and not that of the team, we should look to giving it to somebody else with passion who wouldn't suffer from the pressures of being the captain
Curl

Re: one problem, easily fi...

Post by Curl »

It's not ideal to give it to Barrett, I agree, but I don't see any other option. You need someone who commands authority and one of the ways that can happen is if you are the best player. I just can't see anyone out there that the rest of the team will look to and think 'sh*t, I'd better put the effort in playing in the same team as [x]'. Nearest we've got is Barrett I think, even if not ideal.