Whelan speaks + fighting talk

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
butt monkey

Re: Whelan speaks + fighti...

Post by butt monkey »

thegimble posted:
Interesting that there is another 7 days to go before the letter needs to arrive. If the RFL was that clear and correct then why the delay.
Postal strike = delays
Normal postal service = inconsistent service
:D
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

That is my point though TEW,

Even when the signing of Fielden was announced other clubs kicked up a fuss and the RFL met with Wigan and oked the signing. Even now they admit to receiving assurances from Wigan RLFC. So at worst for them ML said this is what we will do to get under the cap and they agreed at the time.

At best, the RFL received notification of 9 players contracts being declared null and void and replaced with 9 new contracts. That is the difference between sport and business IMO. In sport, every player has to be registered and his contract etc cleared with the organising body. So before this season ever started the RFL knew exactly what was happening. Nor were Wigan hiding what they were doing. That's just it. You cannot. So from day 1 every was out in the open and all the relevant details were sitting on somebodys desk at Red Hall.

It just does not add up. The RFL had to know what was happening and remember somebody in the RFL was leaking information to the media that Wigan were in trouble re the cap long before the announcements were made. So when it suits the RFL are good at providing information.

I cannot believe the RFL are getting off so easily. You would hope even Robjoenz can see that something is not right with the RFL even if he thinks Wigan were wrong. To be honest the guilt or innocence of Wigan RLFC is irrelevant. THe RFL look very suspect.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

cpwigan posted:
That is my point though TEW,

Even when the signing of Fielden was announced other clubs kicked up a fuss and the RFL met with Wigan and oked the signing. Even now they admit to receiving assurances from Wigan RLFC. So at worst for them ML said this is what we will do to get under the cap and they agreed at the time.

At best, the RFL received notification of 9 players contracts being declared null and void and replaced with 9 new contracts. That is the difference between sport and business IMO. In sport, every player has to be registered and his contract etc cleared with the organising body. So before this season ever started the RFL knew exactly what was happening. Nor were Wigan hiding what they were doing. That's just it. You cannot. So from day 1 every was out in the open and all the relevant details were sitting on somebodys desk at Red Hall.

It just does not add up. The RFL had to know what was happening and remember somebody in the RFL was leaking information to the media that Wigan were in trouble re the cap long before the announcements were made. So when it suits the RFL are good at providing information.

I cannot believe the RFL are getting off so easily. You would hope even Robjoenz can see that something is not right with the RFL even if he thinks Wigan were wrong. To be honest the guilt or innocence of Wigan RLFC is irrelevant. THe RFL look very suspect.
Excellent well thought out post, apart from the robjoenz bit, of course he won't see something's not right at the RFL... are you mad cpw? Sorry Rob ;)
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

Alex the Warrior

Post by Alex the Warrior »

I heard weeks in advance that we had renegotiated salaries i.e. we had not physically paid out more than the salary cap. Bias apart, how on earth can this be a breach? Even the verdict against Wigan said something about 'being against the spirit of the cap' A desperate attempt to get something to stick if ever you heard one.

I probably should'nt rise to Rob's bait but here goes. Dave Whelan had no case against the Premier League or FA. While I would've docked West Ham points instead of fining them, the punishment was within the F.A's guidelines. Therefore, no case. Three panels/courts since have agreed with that. The salary cap would collapse like a stack of cards if challenged.

Unlike most of you on here, Wigan RL is not my top sporting priority so I feel able to take a more balanced view than some I see. The bias against Wigan in recent years is plainer than the nose on your face. I have never said that about the football team that I was born to support. Take it to court and get this sport sorted out.
From Mission Impossible (1991) to The Great Escape (2006)
kevsev

Post by kevsev »

So I can decide Vendetta or No Vendetta can someone tell me who is right?

With regards Wigan
The Wigan club had explained to the RFL panel that the 2005 season had seen the club suffer it’s most serious ever injury crisis which had seen the loss of Sean O’Loughlin, Gareth Hock, Brian Carney, Luke Davico and others. Nearly all of these players had their seasons wiped out, but it is a requirement that their full season's payments are entered into the salary cap return, which they were.

With regards Salford
Simms said: "I can assure the fans that we have not breached our salary cap.
"As extra income comes into the club you can spend more money under the salary cap system. And the four players that we have brought in are not expensive players.
"We have been able to take injured players off the salary cap and put new players on it so there are no problems there whatsoever."

If Simms is right then definitely VENDETTA
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

kevsev posted:
So I can decide Vendetta or No Vendetta can someone tell me who is right?

With regards Wigan
The Wigan club had explained to the RFL panel that the 2005 season had seen the club suffer it’s most serious ever injury crisis which had seen the loss of Sean O’Loughlin, Gareth Hock, Brian Carney, Luke Davico and others. Nearly all of these players had their seasons wiped out, but it is a requirement that their full season's payments are entered into the salary cap return, which they were.

With regards Salford
Simms said: "I can assure the fans that we have not breached our salary cap.
"As extra income comes into the club you can spend more money under the salary cap system. And the four players that we have brought in are not expensive players.
"We have been able to take injured players off the salary cap and put new players on it so there are no problems there whatsoever."

If Simms is right then definitely VENDETTA
They brought in a rule after the 2005 season, that long-term injured players could be de-registered, but that only takes them off the 20/25 list; any payments they still receive (sick pay or equivalent) still count on the cap.

9.3 Permanently De-register
9.3.1 In the event that a registered player is injured and will not play for the remainder of the
season, the club may apply for a dispensation for the injured player to be removed from
the register.
9.3.2 Once a player has received dispensation for the season this cannot be revoked, even if
the injury heals faster than was expected.
Please note that permanent de-registration will not exclude the costs applicable to that player
from the Salary Cap calculation

http://www.therfl.co.uk/clientdocs/Oper ... les_07.pdf
kevsev

Post by kevsev »

Thanks GeoffN

appears that Simms in not telling the Reds fans the whole truth.
Its amazing though. Wigan sign 1 player an all hell breaks loose about salary cap. Salford sign 4 and not a murmur
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Others may disagree and Salford obviously do BUT I think relegation would be good for them. People keep talking about framchises BUT there is hardly a list of potential clubs beating down the doors of Red Hall to claim them. As our sole Manchester club, Salford will get a franchise. They may as well get their new ground built and in the mean time build a team of young players that simply need the addition of QUALITY overseas players.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

cpwigan posted:
Others may disagree and Salford obviously do BUT I think relegation would be good for them. People keep talking about framchises BUT there is hardly a list of potential clubs beating down the doors of Red Hall to claim them. As our sole Manchester club, Salford will get a franchise. They may as well get their new ground built and in the mean time build a team of young players that simply need the addition of QUALITY overseas players.
Perhaps so, but they also need do a lot of work to get a decent fan base together. I think they're averaging around 4k this season, much the same as the last two seasons. Maybe the new ground will help, but I'm not convinced; it didn't help Huddersfield when they moved to theirs.
For all the criticism London attract, regarding crowds, Salford's are as bad if not worse, and they've a much longer tradition.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Your right Geoff . That is why I do not think working towards 2009 would be such a bad thing for them. They need to get things right and to do that they need to be free of SL for a year or two IMO.

I think I am right that Salford and London are the 2 clubs whose attendances have declined this year. London have the worst average and agreegate attendance.