Re: Heart of the club gone.......

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
phibes

Re: Heart of the club gone...

Post by phibes »

Matthew posted:
A month ago we were beating Leeds and Bradford - now we are losing to second raters like wire and les cats. The team that was looking like it was improving has fallen apart.

What's the solution? - well a great deal of the "no hopers" currently contracted to the club are here next year. Whilst our academy is doing well, this isn't a new thing and it's yet to be seen whether we will go on to develop these players into superstars.

Whatever your feelings about DW and ML - the last two performances are not their fault

In our current form (and over the last couple of seasons) we have lost the will to win. How a french team put together by the RFL can want to win a CC semi final more than Wigan is beyond me.

To concede tries at the end of the game when everyone is out of their feet is one thing. To concede soft tries at the beginning of the match is quite another.

Whilst I think that he is a half decent player - I think that it is time for Lockers to step down as captain. Too many times he has failed to rally the team when things have been going wrong.
I also can't believe our dip in form that started two weeks ago. Whilst I feel Lindsay's often blamed for too much, he has to carry the can for the four-point deduction, which effectively wiped out our two best wins of the season. It seemed to me that the players lost the will to win at that point - I'm not justifying their crap performances by saying that - I think they should be stronger mentally and more professional than that - but this is a Wigan team whose attitude and self-belief has been very frail for years now, since Farrell left in fact.

Last weekend's shock exit from the cup coming on the back of the points deduction has shattered what little will to win they have. Again, I'm not defending them - it should make them try harder in my opinion, but instead they seem to have given up. The lack of effort is obvious if you compare our defensive displays against Leeds, Bradford or St Helens with the half-arsed displays at the HJ these last two weeks.

Personally, I wasn't that surprised Warrington stuffed us today. This team don't seem to have what it takes to compete in SL at the moment. And I'm not sure if this is something the coach can fix in time for next week's game.

I'm not sure if the strange culture of our club is partly to blame. We've been poorly managed for many years now, personnel have been in a state of permanent instability and despite all this, expectations remain high for "the most famous club in RL."

From where I'm standing, we look a good two seasons away from assembling a squad who can compete with the best in the competition week in, week out.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

We can blame X, Y, Z BUT at the end of the day the people who matter when it comes down to it are those on the field, not in the stand, not in the boardroom. What is apparent is that they lack mental toughness when it truly matters. I have yet to meet anybody who cannot cut it when everything is going their way. However, those that can still do it when things are tough are a minority and a small one at that.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Sorry to say and i may be slated for this i think our coaching is all wrong we dont seem to have a fixed move in us nobody runs dummy angles attack too flat backing up none existant.
Barratt should have more back up when he takes the ball up as with Feka and Fielden .Opposition teams know how we play we have no variation whatsover centres too slow .
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Jaws can the present players get to that stage though? At present they seem unable to catch and hold a pass :conf: I am almost at the stage wheere I would advocate looking to simply complete sets by scooting, taking passes well behind the advantage line. The type of rugby league you use for children and amateurs. :( Quality ballwork seems beyond our current set of players :angry:
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

I think the 4 points deduction has broke the hearts of the players after beating Leeds and Bradford and coming close to winning Saints .In the same week as we played the semi final we get a four points deduction of which the players after deferring their wages so as not to get a deduction .
The club is in transition Lindsay resigns Dave Whelan wants to sell the club at the end of the season or before?
The club has been tarnished last Month and slated by the media all must take effect on the players
My question is are new players signed for next year?
New Owner and Chairman in place will he bring his own stamp on on the team
Is Nobbys job safe ???
Then i think hang on there is no relegation next year time for rebuilding the squad with u21 players if need be O'Carroll,Goulding .Colbon,Stanton can fill the void .
Nobbys downfall to me he does not want to give the young lads a chance.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Jaws I was thinking tonight. I wonder if the recent cap dedudction / ownership uncertainty has affected the players. The problem is how then do you explain similar debacles throughout the season?

It boils down to the first team players not being good enough mentally. They have ability. However, it is the basics of mental toughness that they fall down.
gillysmyhero

Post by gillysmyhero »

Radders being paid was in the rugby league express on monday 30th July,it said that he was being paid to play last season but it was beer money compared to his contract,dont think that they would have printed it if they didnt have the facts.MO also said that he had approached th RL to make sure we could sign Fielden and they approved it,well maybe its me but i dont think the RL would have given him approval and then gone back on their word (they must know that they wouldnt have a leg to stand on legally),or did Mo not tell them all the facts and intentions,just the ones he wanted them to know.So then he can tell everyone that he has approached the RL and they have ok it.
phibes

Post by phibes »

cpwigan posted:
Jaws I was thinking tonight. I wonder if the recent cap dedudction / ownership uncertainty has affected the players. The problem is how then do you explain similar debacles throughout the season?

It boils down to the first team players not being good enough mentally. They have ability. However, it is the basics of mental toughness that they fall down.
Sadly, this is true. If 1 thing has characterised our current team, it's that they're very easily upset. Seems to be a chicken-and-egg thing - confidence in the squad is low because of inconsistent form, and they're inconsistent because they're failing to build mental toughness/confidence on a week in/week out basis.

This is a problem we've had all season but I still think that losing the four points has made the problem worst. At the moment, Blackpool would fancy their chances against us...

Bear

Post by Bear »

warrior till i die posted:
this club and hopefully you heard me and big i banging the drum all the way through the second half, but im wigan till i die and will be there everrrry week!
This is the sort of commitment we need from the players. They need to turn up every week
OOOOOO were the greatest club in the world!!!!
dazz86

Post by dazz86 »

then the players should pay us to turn up because weve paid and they sure as hell havnt even got off the coach