Quins/Wigan - Coaches Reactions

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
turf

Quins/Wigan - Coaches Reactions

Post by turf »

Source - www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague/news/story

Wigan boss Brian Noble insisted his side's play-off charge is still on after the Warriors came from behind to grab a 16-16 draw against Harlequins.

The visitors trailed 16-8 at the break but two tries from Trent Barrett saw Wigan leave the capital with a valuable point.

But Noble insisted his team should have come away with a win after full-back Pat Richards missed two second-half conversions.

Noble said: "I'm still pretty confident we'll get in the top six and make the play-offs, we might have to win all of our last three games but we're determined to do it.

"I am not happy with the result, but it was a good second half from us.

"We should've won it but we lacked some composure - there were too many drop goal attempts too early - and then we got nervous at the end.

"I was unhappy with Harlequins' second try of the game. It looked an obvious knock-on and I think there was only one person in the stadium who didn't see that knock-on.

"But we showed good desire in the second half and Trent Barrett dug in and took his two tries very well."

Quins bossed the first half and tries from Matt Gafa and Scott Hill set them on their way.

Thomas Leuluai reduced the deficit with a try against his former club before Mark McLinden restored the advantage with a superb solo effort.

But for the second home game running Quins buckled in the second half as Barrett scored two brilliant tries.

And while Noble was aggrieved about Quins' second try, Brian McDermott was left fuming by the decision to disallow a McLinden try in the second half.

He said: "I think the referees don't know what is a try and what isn't, and I don't know what a try is and what isn't in Super League anymore.

So, it sounds like Mr Thaler hasn't had the best game we have ever heard/seen him have.

But just because what the coaches say doesn't make me judge Mr Thaler's full performance today does it?
Big Steve

Re: Quins/Wigan - Coaches Reac...

Post by Big Steve »

He missed what looked to be a very blatant knock on for Quins 2nd try.

He also seemd to favour Quins very heavily in penalising wigan for a number of offsides whilst he never penalised Quins who were continually stood offside. If you look for one side you should do the same for the other.

I thought he was a pretty good ref, but he didn't have a great one today.
turf

Re: Quins/Wigan - Coaches ...

Post by turf »

Big Steve posted:
I thought he was a pretty good ref, but he didn't have a great one today.
A rare off day for Thaler then. Oh well, it can happen to him as well.

As long as he does not go cr*p every week now like the others we still have a good referee in SL.
turf

Post by turf »

Nobby`s Girl posted:
This not like our Nobby :conf:
I totally agree Nobby's Girl. This is not like Noble at all.

It must have been a bad error by Ben Thaler if Noble is unhappy.
fitzy

Post by fitzy »

I am quite certain that the quins second try wasn't a try the quins player droppped the ball forward towards our try line now the last time I looked at the rules that is classsed as a knock on bad descion (sp)mr thaler
ian.birchall

Re: Quins/Wigan - Coaches Reac...

Post by ian.birchall »

I have grown tired of Noble coming out with the same meaningless platitudes after every game whether we have won or lost and take no notice of anything he says. I suspect that neither do the players either since after every horrendous performance he threatens to make changes but the same 18 turn up for the next game so no fear there for the players. Why should there be though in these days of fixed contracts? Bring back the good old days when a win brought you a cash bonus and a draw at home was losing money. Is there only GeoffN and I who remember them??
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

ian.birchall posted:
I have grown tired of Noble coming out with the same meaningless platitudes after every game whether we have won or lost and take no notice of anything he says. I suspect that neither do the players either since after every horrendous performance he threatens to make changes but the same 18 turn up for the next game so no fear there for the players. Why should there be though in these days of fixed contracts? Bring back the good old days when a win brought you a cash bonus and a draw at home was losing money. Is there only GeoffN and I who remember them??
It would stop us going over the salary cap!