Space on the cap? new players or...?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Cruncher

Re: Space on the cap? new ...

Post by Cruncher »

I should perhaps elaborate on my last post.

Bearing in mind availability, potential cost, overseas quota (which I think is 10 this year in total, is it not?) these are the signings I'd like to see us make in order of importance, if we are to improve on what we've had this year:

1. Prop - FFMM or Peacock, (both of whom we've been strongly linked with in the recent past
2. Full back - Matt Bowen (is this a realistic possibility? - I heard he was being marketed to SL)
3. Prop - Korkidas (as a solid workhorse)
4. Centre - Walker (because we'll now need to cut our cloth accordingly
5. Hooker (if it's true that both Higham and Millard are going) - Brad Drew (he's allegedly going to Wakefield, so surely we can intercept?)

Those are the essentials. After that, as a luxury rather than a necessity, I'd opt for a utility back - David Hodgson. And maybe a utility forward - Andy Coley.

These are just thoughts off the top of my head. They may be deemed to be coming out of my ar2e. But I feel it's vital that this year we target the areas where we are weak and opt for a better class of recruit
ultimate warrior

Post by ultimate warrior »

Cruncher posted:

Bearing in mind availability, potential cost, overseas quota (which I think is 10 this year in total, is it not?) these are the signings I'd like to see us make in order of importance, if we are to improve on what we've had this year:

1. Prop - FFMM or Peacock, (both of whom we've been strongly linked with in the recent past
2. Full back - Matt Bowen (is this a realistic possibility? - I heard he was being marketed to SL)
5. Hooker (if it's true that both Higham and Millard are going) - Brad Drew (he's allegedly going to Wakefield, so surely we can intercept?)

Those are the essentials. After that, as a luxury rather than a necessity, I'd opt for a utility back - David Hodgson. And maybe a utility forward - Andy Coley.

These are just thoughts off the top of my head. They may be deemed to be coming out of my ar2e. But I feel it's vital that this year we target the areas where we are weak and opt for a better class of recruit
Think this is quite a good list of recruits. Would love to see Matty Bowen at Wigan, but hate to say, just can't see it happening.

To me these are the most important positions that need filling, and there dosnt seem to be a lot about that are much better than you suggest if we are realistic. FoiFoi would be and awesome player if we could get him, but not sure what contract he got a the Eels and if they would be prepared to seel.,
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

ultimate warrior posted:
Cruncher posted:

Think this is quite a good list of recruits. Would love to see Matty Bowen at Wigan, but hate to say, just can't see it happening.

To me these are the most important positions that need filling, and there dosnt seem to be a lot about that are much better than you suggest if we are realistic. FoiFoi would be and awesome player if we could get him, but not sure what contract he got a the Eels and if they would be prepared to seel.,
I don't see where the Higham rumour has any viability; he's got a year left on his contract, seems to be enjoying it here, and is one of our better players week in, week out. Unfortunately, Millard also has a year left, unless he can be persuaded to retire.

Other than that, yep, I'd pretty much agree. I still haven't seen any confirmation that Brett Hodgson has re-signed with the Tigers, so I'm still hopeful we might get him.

lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

If you look at our team we have a squad that is by admition 2 players down then we have Withers DV Fletch Ashton and also doubts over Calderwood and Millard ,oh yes and Hill remember him? we could bring Mcilorom and Goulding in and it would still leave room for around 6 players priority's have to be at least-

a; one top prop(?)

b; full back(B Hodgson was the give away Pat Richards biging him up a few weeks ago)

c; centre (Walker is a noble player big and mobile)

d;Coley will fill a prop/second row slot that still leaves room for

e; a utility back (D Hodgeson)

d; if Calderwood leaves a winger (you could maybe use the above or Colbon and then go for another player who could be a halfback/hooker cover or another prop

That would just about cover it :D
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Would rather see us sign someone like Haggerty than Coley or Korki from Salford as both the later have very questionable discipline and Haggerty would definitely be cheaper.

Also Haggerty is an out and out prop - not a cross between a prop/second row or a 10 minute impact player and that is something that we our currently missing in our side.
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
Martin Taylor

Post by Martin Taylor »

Cruncher posted:
I think we need new buys in this order:

Prop
Full back
Prop
Centre
Hooker (if it's true that both Higham and Millard are going)

Those are the essentials. After that, as a luxury, I'd opt for a decent utility back.

Anything else after these would be a bonus.
I think we have the perfect utility player already at Wigan. As much as i like Bailiey, he is the perfect bench man able to play back-row or centre!
Warrior4eva

Post by Warrior4eva »

Not sure how much truth there is in the Millard retiring or what I post now but I was advised that Millard is hoping that Widnes are promoted and he will leave us at the end of season to see out his fianl year of his career with them.
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

were as it mentioned higham is leaving or is it just because he does the posyt columb he leaves ie
o conner
newton
wagga b4 him they all left the year after they started writing in the post,sio if mickey leaves who will take the job on next season
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
bertina

Post by bertina »

Warrior4eva posted:
Not sure how much truth there is in the Millard retiring or what I post now but I was advised that Millard is hoping that Widnes are promoted and he will leave us at the end of season to see out his fianl year of his career with them.
Let's hope so !!
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Morph posted:
is anyone getting the feeling that Millards going to be here next season????
He's Noble's signing and he is noted for being being loyal to his players. Poss 1st choice hooker next season!!!!! Noooooo

:lol: :lol: :lol: if I don't I'll cry
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!