Terry Newton.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
bertina

Terry Newton.

Post by bertina »

I don't get all this "Let's get our Terry back" nonsense going around on several threads on this board at the moment. OK, Newton was a good player for us at times, but discipline wise he was a nightmare. One of the main comments recurring on this board all this season has been about us cutting down on the number of penalties we have been giving away, how the hell would Newton have helped that ? Not only that, but he was always good for at least a couple of lengthy bans per season.
Higham and Mcillorum are fine in the hooking role for my money, so let's not worry about the position and concentrate on bringing in players for the positions where we do have a problem, PROP. CENTRE. FULL BACK.
butt monkey

Re: Terry Newton.

Post by butt monkey »

I am not too bothered about giving penalties away. That is sport, we will ALWAYS give penalties away no matter how churlish the referee or angelic the players.

It is about how the players respond, and are able to "dig" themselves out of less than impressive situations. We have been found more than wanting on this scale for too long! We as a team, can camp out on our opponents for 10-15 mins and score little if anything, point wise. Yet how many times have the opposition gone straight down the field on, what seems like their first "real" attack and score?

I am not saying Newton is the answer, but I am not overly concerned, over penalties that players have conceded whilst playing for other teams either. Wigan do lack an enforcer though!
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Rugbydav

Post by Rugbydav »

We miss Andy Farrell's leadership qualities IMO, the amount of times he dragged us out of the 5h1t with his battle cries is unbelievable (sp).
Enjoy your Rugby League ..... We do!!
Brad5926

Post by Brad5926 »

We sure do and what a man to bring it back to some exstent then Terry Newton , a wigan born lad and he weres his shirt with pride no doubt about that, sure he gives away quitealot of penalties and gets fined alot and ect BUT a player o Newtons caliber doesnt come along that often so why not have him on board but make sure Mclorum doesnt get drowned out of the 1st team as he is a good up and coming players so they wpuld have to resolve the situation of having 3 hookers and come up with some roter or something or maybe play newton at 2nd Row but still have him slide in at hooker with who ever is at the position of hooker
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

butt monkey posted:
I am not too bothered about giving penalties away. That is sport, we will ALWAYS give penalties away no matter how churlish the referee or angelic the players.
Then I am glad you are pot the coach. If you give penalties away you lose possession. If you lose possession you can't score. The opposition can. If you lose possession you must tackle rather than run with the ball. Conceding a penalty undoes any good work earlier in the tackle count and hands the initiative to the opposition and/or relieves any pressure on them.

All the above are the obvious effects of giving a penalty away so given away penalties into double figures as we have been doing is a direct contribution to losing the game.

We have several players who's penalties against count this seaosn are very high. We don't need another.

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Brad5926 posted:
We sure do and what a man to bring it back to some exstent then Terry Newton , a wigan born lad and he weres his shirt with pride no doubt about that, sure he gives away quitealot of penalties and gets fined alot
Which negates all the positives IMO. Newton also goes missing every now and again. One game he can be great then another you hardly notice him. He isn't the universally great player some think he is.

We already have Hansen on the bench to bring on when Hock loses the plot. We would have to play McIllorum for the same reason with Newton rather as a tactical substitution.

Dave
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

DaveO posted:
butt monkey posted:
Then I am glad you are pot the coach. If you give penalties away you lose possession. If you lose possession you can't score. The opposition can. If you lose possession you must tackle rather than run with the ball. Conceding a penalty undoes any good work earlier in the tackle count and hands the initiative to the opposition and/or relieves any pressure on them.

All the above are the obvious effects of giving a penalty away so given away penalties into double figures as we have been doing is a direct contribution to losing the game.
I was actually quite surprised to see how little correlation there is between league position and the "Fair Play" league; I'd have expected them to be roughly similar, in that the top league clubs would be the best disciplined, but that isn't the case.

The top two "Fair Play" clubs are Catalans & Quins; Saints, Leeds & Bradford are low in the table.

http://www.superleague.co.uk/fairplay.php

Wwe're joint 7th, with Wakefield. One thing that does stand out to me, though, is our high number of "technical" penalties (and sin-binnings, which are invariably also for "technical" reasons), as distinct from "foul play" ones.
We have more sin bins than anyone, and only HKR are worse in the technical penalties.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

TWO EYED WARRIOR posted:
Forget newton this guy will do but it will never happen!
jame1

Post by jame1 »

i don't mind a player that is hard, but, newton is to dirty a player, gives away far to many penalties,disapears for long periods and gets sent off to often. we really don't need him.
Shevi 4 life

Post by Shevi 4 life »

If we sign newton once we the opposing team score.Newton will give them such a rollocking and get the team fired up.
There expanding knowsley road from 3 car park spaces to 4