Shaun Briscoe

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Matthew

Re: Shaun Briscoe

Post by Matthew »

Glynola posted:
Millard is retiring at the end of the season. I think hooker is a problem position for us as neither Higham or McIlorum (yet...) are good enough to be starting hooker.

As for a big pay day - hooker is one of the most important pivots in a team so we shouldn't be skimping! Whilst he wouldn't come cheap, Higham and Millard's salary would surely cover Newton's, and with McIlorum as back-up that's the way to go next season IMO!
I thought Millard retiring was speculation? Has it been confirmed from anybody at the club? Nobby currently thinks that he is good enough for the 1st team - which doesn't exactly point to him being jettisoned.

Newton was a good player - however he is now past his best and is a liability. Bearing in mind how we are usually treated by the RFL - we don't need players who have decidedly suspect temperaments.

I am more than happy for us to spend a lot of money at hooker - however if we are paying top money then we need someone who IS world class - not someone who WAS
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
bertina

Post by bertina »

Glynola posted:
Matthew posted:
Newton? Drew?

We've already got Millard - we're supposed to be the biggest rugby league club in the world - not a retirement home for hookers.

Is hooker currently a problem position for us? We've got Higham and McIllorum - surely they will do for another season. We need to recruit a (at least one) prop, a fullback, a centre; rather than giving a last big pay day to a player (who whilst good in his time) who has a bullseye painted on him by the RFL
Millard is retiring at the end of the season. I think hooker is a problem position for us as neither Higham or McIlorum (yet...) are good enough to be starting hooker.

As for a big pay day - hooker is one of the most important pivots in a team so we shouldn't be skimping! Whilst he wouldn't come cheap, Higham and Millard's salary would surely cover Newton's, and with McIlorum as back-up that's the way to go next season IMO!
With our lack of cover at prop/centre/full back, I wouldn't think that looking at the hooking spot is going to be top of Nobby's list of priorities. Higham and mcillorum are more than adequate in my opinion.
Glynola

Post by Glynola »

Matthew posted:

I thought Millard retiring was speculation? Has it been confirmed from anybody at the club? Nobby currently thinks that he is good enough for the 1st team - which doesn't exactly point to him being jettisoned.

Newton was a good player - however he is now past his best and is a liability. Bearing in mind how we are usually treated by the RFL - we don't need players who have decidedly suspect temperaments.

I am more than happy for us to spend a lot of money at hooker - however if we are paying top money then we need someone who IS world class - not someone who WAS
Millard is not confirmed but I believe this rumour, for once, to be true.

And I have to disagree that Newton is past his best, for me he still has his best years ahead of him.
Everything they do is so dramatic and flamboyant. It just makes me want to set myself on fire!
bertina

Post by bertina »

Glynola posted:
Matthew posted:

And I have to disagree that Newton is past his best, for me he still has his best years ahead of him.
Yeah!, in the sin bin or banned.
Glynola

Post by Glynola »

bertina posted:
Glynola posted:
Matthew posted:

We shall have to agree to disagree!

All I can say is that if newton does indeed return, I think we'll soon realize what we've been missing.
Everything they do is so dramatic and flamboyant. It just makes me want to set myself on fire!
Shevi 4 life

Post by Shevi 4 life »

Glynola posted:
bertina posted:
Glynola posted: Millard is not confirmed but I believe this rumour, for once, to be true.

We shall have to agree to disagree!

All I can say is that if newton does indeed return, I think we'll soon realize what we've been missing.
If newton does come back good.I was told in sir alex fergusons auto biography.the day before an important game or final for Man U he went watching a Rugby league cup final.Wigan were playing and Newton cried his eyes out at the end of the game because we lost and quote 'I thought to myself if my team have that passion then we will win tommorow' I think if newton brings that passion back then winning will soon follow.
There expanding knowsley road from 3 car park spaces to 4