Riversides Meeting

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
bonbon

Riversides Meeting

Post by bonbon »

Is there a riversiders meeting tonight? with Nobby.

Jeff
Wigan turnin Blue-My arse
The future is bright, the future is Cherry & White
ANCIENT & LOYAL 1872
Wigan RLFC not just a religion

To do list
Win World Club Challenge-2021
Win Challenge Cup-2021
Win Super League-2020
Win League Leaders Shield-2020
Champions

Re: Riversides Meeting

Post by Champions »

Think there is one tonight (members only)...Think it starts at the normal time, but unsure of the place :conf:
........and on the 8th day, God made Wigan Warriors!
bonbon

Post by bonbon »

Cheers for that.

Jeff
Wigan turnin Blue-My arse
The future is bright, the future is Cherry & White
ANCIENT & LOYAL 1872
Wigan RLFC not just a religion

To do list
Win World Club Challenge-2021
Win Challenge Cup-2021
Win Super League-2020
Win League Leaders Shield-2020
Nine

Post by Nine »

Brian Noble was the special guest at last night’s Riversiders meeting. It’s obviously hard to sum up (or even remember) everything that was said in a nearly two-hour meeting, but here are the highlights as I remember them and anyone else who was there can feel free to add in other bits.

It was a great meeting. Brian was an honest, funny and intelligent guest. It’s easy to see that one of the reasons he is such a successful head coach is not just his rugby knowledge, but his grasp of psychology and his level-headed approach to life.

Nobby said that we went into this season a couple of front-rowers short, as we know, and with generally a skinny squad, due to the financial situation. However, he said that one thing that is not generally recognised is that this, and the fact that despite the disappointments we have not been in any relegation danger, has meant that we have been able to give eight of our young players an opportunity this year - including Eamon O’Carroll, Paul Prescott, Mike McIlorum, Liam Colbon and Darrell Goulding, who have made several appearances or become regulars.

He said that the future of the club as regards the players it is producing is really exciting, and that Wigan should be proud of the number of quality professional it produces. Nobby added that people comment on players whom the club has let go, but pointed out that we can’t hang on to them all because of the salary cap and because one club can only have so many first team squad members anyway.

Nobby said saving us from relegation last year is his greatest achievement as a coach so far, and that he is really excited about building us up as a rugby club, not just a team. I.e. continuing to develop Academy youngsters as good people as well as good players, and building the relationship with the fans and in surrounding areas through the community development work. He says his ambition is to have a team of 17 Wigan lads. But then, he said, he’d also like to add in Trent Barrett, Feka and maybe another world-class Aussie!

On Feka, he said he will give him more time on the field if Feka can show he can remain effective for longer periods. The coaching staff have worked on this and Nobby is reasonably happy with the 20- minute stints Feka now does. Nobby pointed out that with an impact player like Feka, with all the physical effort that goes into those runs of his and dragging four or five tacklers with him, he naturally tires sooner than some others. It s not safe to leave him on for too long because the small men on the opposition will just pick him off in the defensive line when he gets tired.

Nobby intends staying and completing his ambition of rebuilding the team and the club. He has two players signed for next year already (no names until every last bit of paperwork is signed) and is looking to bring in two or three more. He also says that the second-year signings next year will really hit their straps, e.g. Phil Bailey. In answer to a question he said that there is every chance Bailey will spend more time in the second row next year with Darrell Goulding getting more of an opportunity in the centres.

The change of ownership is unsettling and Nobby said the uncertainty before everything is confirmed could not have come at a worse time as he is trying to recruit for next year. However, he is building the team and is confident we’ll be OK. He also said that he expected to continue to decide who is recruited.

He also said his favourite referee was Billy Thompson. When he was playing the fearsome Kurt Sorenson had a go and Billy said to Nobby “one shot, lad – I’ll let you have one shot”. Nobby lamped Sorensen as hard as he could at the next opportunity (making no impression whatsoever, probably!) and Billy gave a penalty against him. “I though you said I had one shot!” he said the Billy. Billy replied: “Yes, but not in from of all these people, lad!”
Squad number 18!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Great write up as always. Thanks Barbara.
Nine posted:
Nobby said that we went into this season a couple of front-rowers short, as we know, and with generally a skinny squad, due to the financial situation.
Well I am sure JJ said the coaching staff were wondering what all the fuss regarding lack of front rowers from the fans was about at the start of the season.

Perhaps he ought to have spent Withers and Millards wages on a prop then?
Nobby added that people comment on players whom the club has let go, but pointed out that we can’t hang on to them all because of the salary cap and because one club can only have so many first team squad members anyway.
This ought to be posted in the FAQ because how many times when someone says "Ooooh look at Briscoe, Brown, Wild etc etc at other clubs doing well" must what Nobby said above have to be repeated?
On Feka, he said he will give him more time on the field if Feka can show he can remain effective for longer periods. The coaching staff have worked on this and Nobby is reasonably happy with the 20- minute stints Feka now does. Nobby pointed out that with an impact player like Feka, with all the physical effort that goes into those runs of his and dragging four or five tacklers with him, he naturally tires sooner than some others. It s not safe to leave him on for too long because the small men on the opposition will just pick him off in the defensive line when he gets tired.
Fair enough but the question remains I think whether the time he is getting - which by the sound of it is as much as he is going to get - is really enough.
He has two players signed for next year already (no names until every last bit of paperwork is signed) and is looking to bring in two or three more.
How long does it take to get the paperwork signed! Other clubs are going from rumour to nailed on signings overnight it seems!

As to the two players I suppose they are Coley and Walker. Thrilling. :doz:
He also says that the second-year signings next year will really hit their straps, e.g. Phil Bailey. In answer to a question he said that there is every chance Bailey will spend more time in the second row next year with Darrell Goulding getting more of an opportunity in the centres.
Oh dear. If there is "every chance" Bailey will spend time in the second row that sounds to me like there is also a very high likelihood he will be playing in the centres again.

I think most people wanted to hear that not there was not just a "chance" he might play in the second row but that he would be permanently in the second row and we had two new centres plus Goulding getting games to learn the trade.
He also said that he expected to continue to decide who is recruited.
So it was his fault we have been lumbered with Millard?

I hope the other two or three players he wants to bring in are not of that standard otherwise it will be "Come back Mo all is forgiven" on the player signing front.
He also said his favourite referee was Billy Thompson. When he was playing the fearsome Kurt Sorenson had a go and Billy said to Nobby “one shot, lad – I’ll let you have one shot”. Nobby lamped Sorensen as hard as he could at the next opportunity (making no impression whatsoever, probably!) and Billy gave a penalty against him. “I though you said I had one shot!” he said the Billy. Billy replied: “Yes, but not in from of all these people, lad!”
Very funny!

Dave
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

the scarey thing is he say he likes hodgey and wild ,he has 2 players allready signed for next season.Burt wouldnt say who and expects another 3 on top of that .Denied anything about Chev Walker bur seemed a little to knowledgable about him :lol:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

Nobby`s Girl posted:
mike binder posted:
.Denied anything about Chev Walker bur seemed a little to knowledgable about him :lol:
i thought this. :lol: But he did keep a straight face when asked if he`d been training with us. :doz:
is face was how the poo do you know that :lol:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME