Out of the frying pan into the fire? - lenagen

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Out of the frying pan ...

Post by DaveO »

Warrior Glyn posted:
Warrior Glyn posted:
It will also mean, how much he is willing to pay players, thus avoiding another Vaialeki situation

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

This is great news in my opinion.

So we have gone from "Give Nobby full control" to "Its great the chairman is involved with player recruitment" !! ??

Dave

No coach is the game has 100% control, and if you think any different you are way off base.
I know that but plenty on here think the coach should have 100% control.

A lot of posters have said Nobby should do the recruitment without realising this is not how it can ever happen.

It was also used as a stick to beat Mo up with. Now it appears the new man will be as involved as Mo ever was I am interested to know what the people who think Nobby should so it all have to say about that.
What a sensible chairman will do, is evaluate the coaches wish list and the nnegotiate the contracts, this will ensure that the coach has a full and balanced squad to choose from. What ML did was pick the wish list himself and spend all the salary cap (and more) on a few misfits with no input from the coach.
I accept Mo has mismanaged the salary cap but I do not believe he simply went out and signed players without consulting the coach.

In the past there was an element of this where Mo went for Botica when Monie wanted Phil Blake back for example but even then Monie made his views known but had to abide by the chairmans decsion. In reality that sort of decision is little different than a coach saying I want one of player x,y or z and the chairman deciding on z on behalf of the coach (for money reaosns or whatever).

It will be a completely different situation now.
I think its far more similar than many people want to admit.

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

damien morrissey posted:
Is this daft talk or common sense i dont know surely if this type of phonecall took place round the DV time then we wouldnt of wasted 3 years to build a player up to fitness on huge salary.
It is common sense but how do you know if that sort of conversation didn't occur when DV was signed?

DV turned out poor but that wasn't the plan!

Dave
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

DaveO posted:
damien morrissey posted:
Is this daft talk or common sense i dont know surely if this type of phonecall took place round the DV time then we wouldnt of wasted 3 years to build a player up to fitness on huge salary.
It is common sense but how do you know if that sort of conversation didn't occur when DV was signed?

Dave
I'll wonder for evermore what it was that went wrong with the DV signing. Someone involved somewhere in the process didn't do his job properly. That's the only conclusion I can come to, and I know it's rather vague.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Well Nobby has not been great given a free reign. At the end of the day, an awful lot re signings is dependent upon contacts Down Under and you have to be free to put time in there otherwise you lose out. A coach cannot do that. Moreover, a non Aussie coach struggles even more. When Lindsay was at his best, he had great links down under and spent lots of time there. I doubt our new chairman will be having sole input. He will work with the coach and his own view will be backed up by recommendation from people he trusts. Remember, what I told you about Shaun Edwards looking at the Wigan players for him :wink:
mano

Post by mano »

Nobby will pick the player he wants to sign IAN will look at the money side of things and they will meet the player and agent together they will be working as team.
The info i have got is the club will move forward from 2009 onwards next season there will MO mess to sort out.
u18s/21s will be looked after a lot better from next season thats at the top of nobby list
damien morrissey

Post by damien morrissey »

DaveO posted:
damien morrissey posted:

Dave

i dont know one does except the people involved. My point is that he went over to get the great Mark Gasnier he ended up spending the same money for a great potential player but one who had a serious injury.
i am no Mo Basher i would like to think that my time on here has taught me that Uncle Mo is not responsible for all that went wrong. but even he knew that this was a gamble and a very expensive one.
Lets not blame Mo for the state of the worlds worrys but he and you should accept that this was bad business.

Damien
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Whilst MO has made mistakes. He did get us Trent and feka, even when MO was supposedly finished and useless. Sometimes, players have come with big reputations and simply not lived up to it. Remarkably, DV looked excellent for Parra. Sadly, he has never been the same for us. Matty Johns is another in that category.
damien morrissey

Post by damien morrissey »

cpwigan posted:
Whilst MO has made mistakes. He did get us Trent and feka, even when MO was supposedly finished and useless. Sometimes, players have come with big reputations and simply not lived up to it. Remarkably, DV looked excellent for Parra. Sadly, he has never been the same for us. Matty Johns is another in that category.
Damm them career threatening injurys.like the one he had as we signed him. Might have rang a few alarm bells you would of thought.
In reality he was at the same level Ashton is now looks good but needs to prove himself.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

damien morrissey posted:

Lets not blame Mo for the state of the worlds worrys but he and you should accept that this was bad
You can only say that with hindsight IMO. As others have pointed out he looked fine at Para and while he did pick up an injury he will have had a medical and so on. Maybe he was never any good and looked OK in a decent side? Who knows but even if you are right and this was a mistake Mo could have avoided, it is one player. Other clubs make duff signings and Mo has made many a good one recently as well as in the past. DV is just too convenient to have a dig at Mo with IMO (not saying they you are but you get my drift).

Dave
mano

Post by mano »

From what i have been told about is plan for wigan he is the right man for the job.
There is not much room within the SAL/CAP for 2008 due to linsey.