Alker???

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
adrenalinxx

Re: Alker???

Post by adrenalinxx »

Alker is a very good player, his style is similar to Terry Newtons in the way he plays from acting half back and his defence is excellent.

If Alker comes to Wigan Millard or Higham would be leaveing. Perhaps Noble thinks Wigan need a Hooker like Newton again and since Newton is not available perhaps Alker is the next best thing.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

butt monkey posted:
The 20 should look something like:
4 props - Fielden, Feka, (O'Carroll) (Prescott)
2 hookers - Higham, McLorum
4 second rows - Hock, O'Loughlin, Hansen, (Tomkins)
2 half backs - Barrett, Leuluai
3 wingers - Richards, Calderwood, (Colbon)
3 centres - Goulding, Bailey, ?
1 fullback - ?
1 "utility"/half back - (Millard)

GeoffN

I have used your hypothesis for players next season, based on assumptions that there will be no major shock releases nor sales. Also that you plan to include in next years 20/25 squad, the players I have bracketed. It leaves only room for the signing of, at most two players. Not much room for manoeuvre in reality - IMO. Never mind what happens to the likes of Hill, Flanagan etc. I am also basing the assumption that the "bracketed" player's are contracted to Wigan for next year too!

This is before we sign anyone - Coley for starters!
Prescott, O'Carroll & McIlorum are outside of the 20/25 at present (based on squad numbers, but it seems reasonable), and are only up for renewal at the end of next season. Colbon is due a new contract this year, I think.

That leaves 3 more places in the 20 for new signings (of which Colbon might possibly be one.

As things stand, our existing/confirmed 20/25 for next year looks like this:
1. .........
2. Calderwood
3. Bailey
4. .........
5. Richards
6. Barrett
7. Leuluai
8. Fielden
9. Higham
10. Palea'asina
11. Hock
12. Coley
13. O'Loughlin
14. .........
15. .........
16. Millard
17. ........
18. Prescott
19. Hansen
20. Goulding

Not sure about Danny Hill; he's squad number 21, but I'd have thought he was on more than £25k?

That's 5 gaps (4 if Hill is in).
If we assume an increased contract for Colbon will take one, that still leaves 3 or 4 spots available.

jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

With Alker being a genuine 80 minute hooker, what about the possibility of both Millard and Higham leaving and McIllorum understudying Alker? We'd be quids in and wouldn't need to save a bench spot for a replacement hooker. :doz:
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Matthew posted:
Paper talk (I hope) we seem to be linked with just about every member of the Salford squad!
Hope it remains as just paper talk. McIlorum is a great prospect, with Micky Higham to bring him on. McIloram will become back up hooker to Robey for GB, IMO.