mark smith

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
mario

Re: mark smith

Post by mario »

Whats Denis betts got to do with it? Mo makes all the decisions about who comes into the squad.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

I'm sure you would like to think that, so you always have a scapegoat, and someone to slag off. So you're telling me that Denis Betts has nothing to do with the players that come and go ? dont talk crap buddy.
mario

Post by mario »

yeah perhap i am talking crap!
He shakes thier hand as they come in or go out the door!
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

ChrisA posted:
So you're telling me that Denis Betts has nothing to do with the players that come and go ? dont talk crap buddy.
It's been documented on a few occasions by ex-coaches about the way Chairman Mo basically decides who comes and goes. He handles the purse strings, and you're no doubt aware he keeps disappearing off to Aus to find out who might be available to be signed. The coach's job is to coach the team, not to deal with player recruitment.

It's not uncommon for someone other than the coach to make these decisions; at Salford, according to someone within that club, they basically get whoever Steve Simms can persuade to join, the coach has little if any say on such matters.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Fraggle posted:
ChrisA posted:
So you're telling me that Denis Betts has nothing to do with the players that come and go ? dont talk crap buddy.
It's been documented on a few occasions by ex-coaches about the way Chairman Mo basically decides who comes and goes. He handles the purse strings, and you're no doubt aware he keeps disappearing off to Aus to find out who might be available to be signed. The coach's job is to coach the team, not to deal with player recruitment.

It's not uncommon for someone other than the coach to make these decisions; at Salford, according to someone within that club, they basically get whoever Steve Simms can persuade to join, the coach has little if any say on such matters.
Without being disrespectful to the likes of Salford I think we have more pulling power when it comes to persuading top quality players to join our ranks. Surely it would be beneficial for a coach to decide which players he signs so he gets the player he think will play the best in his team using his tactics. If someone else picks the team for the coach he can't do his job properly.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Hooray for some common sense, and a little bit of knowledge, instead of jumping on the "uncle mo dumps every young player we bring through" band wagon. It's good to see someone else see's the situation for what it is, and not just another opportunity to whinge about all the players we let go.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Fraggle posted:
ChrisA posted:
I think this is correct and the most famous case was the signing of Frano Botica as documented by John Monie. Monie wanted Phil Blake but Mo went and signed Botica and Monie said he could not understand why Mo went for a 25 year old Union player over Blake but how it all worked out in the end!

I do think there is some input from the coach because if you read the artical recently about player recruitment being over - or maybe it isn't - Mo was quoted in that as saying he would ask Dennis about his requirements.

So I guess Betts can say "I need another prop forward" but who that ends up being is down to Mo.

Dave
pedro

Post by pedro »

I though M.Smith was a waste of some of our salary cap. We've brought in better and youger player so thats probably why he was released. :)
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

Why is it a bad thing that it is a joint decision on which players we get?

Over the years we may have had some 'not up to wigan standard' players but we've also had a lot of class. Just looking at recent years Andy Farrell, Adrian Lam, Brian Carney, Kris Radlinski, Brett Dallas did the same person not sign up or agree to signing these players as well as the others?
Lindsay has done a lot for us in his time with Wigan and people seem quick to forget this now we're not winning everything.

What you've got to realise is that now other teams such as Bradford, Leeds and Saints are being seen on the same level as Wigan, making it a lot harder to sign the better players because those players will look at who's won what in the last few seasons. Like it or not at the end of the day it's a job for them and going to a team that's got the most recent silverware is likely to earn them more (prize) money. Anyway my point from that is how does Mo tempt a great player to come to Wigan rather than Leeds Saints or Bradford?

You don't get anywhere in life without taking risks, some will come off some won't but it's the same with every club. Tell me one team in our superleague that has 100% top class players?
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
pedro

Post by pedro »

MrsLam posted:
Why is it a bad thing that it is a joint decision on which players we get?

Over the years we may have had some 'not up to wigan standard' players but we've also had a lot of class. Just looking at recent years Andy Farrell, Adrian Lam, Brian Carney, Kris Radlinski, Brett Dallas did the same person not sign up or agree to signing these players as well as the others?
Lindsay has done a lot for us in his time with Wigan and people seem quick to forget this now we're not winning everything.

What you've got to realise is that now other teams such as Bradford, Leeds and Saints are being seen on the same level as Wigan, making it a lot harder to sign the better players because those players will look at who's won what in the last few seasons. Like it or not at the end of the day it's a job for them and going to a team that's got the most recent silverware is likely to earn them more (prize) money. Anyway my point from that is how does Mo tempt a great player to come to Wigan rather than Leeds Saints or Bradford?

You don't get anywhere in life without taking risks, some will come off some won't but it's the same with every club. Tell me one team in our superleague that has 100% top class players?
erm....LEIGH!!

Oh god had to put that in.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good points there Mrs.Lam