logan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
lancaster077

Re: logan

Post by lancaster077 »

Oh sorry i didnt realise i had to justify myself. Better than Logan in the past 6 ok......

1.Fielden
2.Feka
3.Craig Smith
4.Terry O'Connor
5.Eamon O'Carrol
6.Quentin Pongia
7.Danny Sculthorpe
8.Paul Prescott

In my view better than Logan i was going to say Harvey Howard and Wayne McDonald but these two WERE the worst props Wigan has ever seen.
lancaster077

Post by lancaster077 »

ancientnloyal posted:
I think the reason why I did not rate Logan as highly as some may be timing. Wigan from the off were having problems on/off the field and with not having any major/current props apart from Jerry, Logan IMO may have found it a bit hard to settle in properly. Yes he may have adapted well to the british game but he had more or less no support with him until Fielden came. It seemed to me he didnt want to be here due to Wigans form which wouldn't have helped any player.

I guess he would have had a better season this year as Wigan are proven to be 4th/5th this year (despite points deduction) but we'll never know.

Comparing him to platt/cowie/terry O is wrong imo, he was only here for a troubled season and he was injured for a few matches (if i remember)... cant compare to seasoned regular wigan players from the past decade
Come on mate stick your neck out you know he wasnt a good player even Jerry the Berry had more heart.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

lancaster077 posted:
Just told my grandad and hes 92 and even he is laughing. I compared Logan to the players we used to attract to the club, Because i am used to good players playing for Wigan, Used to great games, Used to winning and that has all gone from the moment the last great left Wigan, Andy Farrell.

From the players who used to make the hard yards to the players who kicked the opposition off the field to the players who would sidestep pass 3 players to the players who were just world class.

And for anyone to say the recent crop of CERTAIN
Wigan players are good players they are very much mistaken.

Do you really think Scott Logan would get in the current Saints,Leeds or Bradford sides hmmmmm i dont think so.But he would get in Wigans this is how far we have gone backwards.We cant even beat Hull KR for signings these days.
Turf in disguise :ques:

or some other tool :sly:
lancaster077

Post by lancaster077 »

What your calling turf a tool? Nope your wrong on both fronts its called a forum you cheezer, opinions welcomed from anyone methinks :sly: :sly:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

:conf:

Without knowing the mind of the aforementioned coaches, I feel fairly certain Leeds would love to have Logan in their team given their front row is weak. Bradford would like to have Logan in their 4. Given Saints have played Hargreaves, Logan would get in their 18.

To say Paul Prescott/Eamon O'Carrol are better is laughable. Danny Sculthorpe? Worse discipline, conceded more penalties, made more mistakes. Great offload skill. Pongia, at his best pre Wigan he was immense. I liked him at Wigan BUT we got a poorer version, wished we had him in his pomp. Craig Smith, excellent prop. Everything you want. Terry O'Connor great workhorse, limited skill BUT huge heart. FEka, great impact prop BUT in a top team he would never start a game and would emerge from the bench to wreak havoc. A luxury BUT a great one. Fielden, currently a good defensive prop and a hopeless ball carrier. Lot of money for a workhorse.

Why are you so negative towards Logan when he is highly sought whenever he becomes available? Both here and in the NRL. People talk about Dobbo, for me the player we have missed is Logan or someone of that calibre. Two youngsters who you rate better have not been able to fill his boots. Not that I think they should or could yet.

lancaster077

Post by lancaster077 »

I just never rated Logan CP i thought he was a liability in defence and wasnt a strong ball carrier.
O'Caroll and Prescotts potential is strong and they are only learning there trade where as Logan was a seasoned player.And IMO are going to be better.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

1.Fielden - Maybe last season; definitely not this season. Logan was a far better ball carrier

2.Feka - Fan favourite, but really a luxury prop. Don't know how you can criticise Logan's defence; compared to Feka he was a tackling machine!

3.Craig Smith - Fair comment; however Smith's first season was poor and it took him longer than Logan had to settle in.

4.Terry O'Connor - agree

5.Eamon O'Carrol - maybe in 5 years; but not now. Too small

6.Quentin Pongia - On his day a very good prop; however by the time Pongia came to us he was here for a pension.

7.Danny Sculthorpe - now you are getting desperate! Terrible discipline and defence. Injury prone and from the Kevin Brown school of risk taking when it comes to offloads.

8.Paul Prescott - same as O'Carroll. Too lightweight (probably a 2nd row). Maybe in a few years, but certainly not better than Logan was for us.

So out of the 8 you mentioned I make that one prop that was definitely better than Logan...
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

ancientnloyal posted:
I think the reason why I did not rate Logan as highly as some may be timing. Wigan from the off were having problems on/off the field and with not having any major/current props apart from Jerry, Logan IMO may have found it a bit hard to settle in properly. Yes he may have adapted well to the british game but he had more or less no support with him until Fielden came. It seemed to me he didnt want to be here due to Wigans form which wouldn't have helped any player.
I recall a post on here remarking that he was thoroughly fed up at the team, off-field antics and our illustrious coach Mr. Millward.

Even if that was not the case he was under the same cloud as every other player in the 1st half of the season so I am not sure how he can be judged on that. If he could then Pat Richards should have left with him along with several other players who looked nothing like what we thought we had in the team.
I guess he would have had a better season this year as Wigan are proven to be 4th/5th this year (despite points deduction) but we'll never know.

Comparing him to platt/cowie/terry O is wrong imo, he was only here for a troubled season and he was injured for a few matches (if i remember)... cant compare to seasoned regular wigan players from the past decade
He was here for a troubled season but for the latter half of it after Nobby arrived he was a very good player for us.

Contrast that to Craig Smith who for a full season did not deliver in a far more settled and trouble free environment.

If we had been able to retain Logan perhaps Fielden's form would not have dropped as drastically as it has but even if Fielden had played poorly with Logan around at least we would have had an alternative genuine hard yards prop and I am sure we would already be secured a play-off place.

Dave
bertina

Post by bertina »

DaveO posted:
ancientnloyal posted:
I recall a post on here remarking that he was thoroughly fed up at the team, off-field antics and our illustrious coach Mr. Millward.

Even if that was not the case he was under the same cloud as every other player in the 1st half of the season so I am not sure how he can be judged on that. If he could then Pat Richards should have left with him along with several other players who looked nothing like what we thought we had in the team.

He was here for a troubled season but for the latter half of it after Nobby arrived he was a very good player for us.

Contrast that to Craig Smith who for a full season did not deliver in a far more settled and trouble free environment.

If we had been able to retain Logan perhaps Fielden's form would not have dropped as drastically as it has but even if Fielden had played poorly with Logan around at least we would have had an alternative genuine hard yards prop and I am sure we would already be secured a play-off place.

Dave
Couldn't agree more.
lancaster077

Post by lancaster077 »

You still havent convinced me about Logan. For me he wasnt a good prop and he bottled it and ran off back to Australia, Good riddence from me not so much from some of you and i cant belive you liked a player whos heart wasnt in the club.