Lenighan first Deal for Us

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jaws1

Re: Lenighan first Deal fo...

Post by jaws1 »

Dave
You could be right what you say when you look at the team in depth overall this season they have turned Leeds ,Bradford,Hull over and laid down a few times against HUll Kr .,Hudds,Wakefield .Catalan.
Although the team have played in patches and not been a formidable team(only lost 3 more than Saints)they have improved on last year (would have finished 4th only for salary cap)got to semi finals of CC have a remote chance of reaching Old Trafford .
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Matthew posted:
There is a bit of a difference between owning two clubs and running one at the expense of the other. Remember all of that "spirit of the cap" rubbish they used against us?
If he has informed the RL of what he is doing beforehand and the players contracts are in place before the season starts then there would be no problem.
I could see there would be a conflict of interest if players were moving mid season ,
After all its pure rumour so let it ride.
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

DaveO posted:
jinkin jimmy posted:
Fine. But who the hell is coming here? I fear the worst. It's OK saying Ward isn't good enough for us but he is better than Prescott and O'Carroll at this stage. When are we going to break our silence? :angry:
How about this idea. We have completed our recruitment for 2008 already with the addition of Coley.

Noble will be making statements like this within the next few weeks:

"Pat Richards has proved himself at full back so we have no need to look elsewhere".

"Prescott and O'Carroll have done enough not to lose their places to new prop signed by the club, so we don't need one."

"Goulding has done enough to take DV's place and Bailey will remain in the centres with Coley taking Brian Fletchers place".

"The rest of the first team squad will be made up of promotions from our U21's side"

It would not surprise me at all if the above happened.

Dave
All of which is pure conjecture.

Dave, you seem to be setting yourself up as an anti-Lenagan voice before the guy's even taken office.

There is such a thing as being overly pessimistic. The current season hasn't even finished yet.
bertina

Post by bertina »

jinkin jimmy posted:
Fine. But who the hell is coming here? I fear the worst. It's OK saying Ward isn't good enough for us but he is better than Prescott and O'Carroll at this stage. When are we going to break our silence? :angry:
Not often I disagree with you Jimmy, but I can't agree here. I honestly don't think that ward at present is any better than our two youngsters.

Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

If we have to go with the 'kids' for next year as suggested by Dave O we will be in for a rough ride!

Prescott, O'Carroll, Colborn and Goulding all in the starting 17 is extremely weak. This year we have had virtually no injuries, can you imagine the calibre of player in the squad given we had 4 or 5 on the sidelines!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Cruncher posted:
DaveO posted:
jinkin jimmy posted:
How about this idea. We have completed our recruitment for 2008 already with the addition of Coley.

"Pat Richards has proved himself at full back so we have no need to look elsewhere".

"Prescott and O'Carroll have done enough not to lose their places to new prop signed by the club, so we don't need one."

"Goulding has done enough to take DV's place and Bailey will remain in the centres with Coley taking Brian Fletchers place".

"The rest of the first team squad will be made up of promotions from our U21's side"

Dave
All of which is pure conjecture.
Obviously so!!!! This is a message board isn't it? I thought that is what this place was about.
Dave, you seem to be setting yourself up as an anti-Lenagan voice before the guy's even taken office.
No I am not. I am merely speculating as to what our recruitment may be (nor not). It could well be we end up as I suggest above because Mo and DW have tied the hands of any new owner with stupid contracts etc.
There is such a thing as being overly pessimistic. The current season hasn't even finished yet.
We all know this but we are all impatient as to seeing some movement on new recruits.

My suggestion is a worse case scenarios if you like but be honest, take those statements individually and none of them are that outlandish are they?

Take them as a whole and it means the team is not strengthened.

Dave
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

DaveO posted:

Dave
It wouldn't surprise me all that much, the only point against that scenario is that it theoretically leaves us with a lot of unused salary cap space.

The money freed up by DV, Fletcher, Withers (and rumours of Millard) isn't accounted for by the signing of Coley and a possible upgrade for Colbon. No-one else is due a new contract this year.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

according to some fella on RLfans, Carvell is a done deal and will be anounced today, doubt it, but wish we would sign somebody soon
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

People moan when Wigan sell the good young player and then moan when they are given a chance :conf:

Why do Wigan need to be signing every player that comes available? In the past two years Wigan have almost had a complete new squad its about time Wigan kept hold of the majority of the squad and just bring in the players that Wigan need and will help Wigan.

Danny Ward is not going to get any better than he is now but Prescott and O'Carroll are. Prescott has been playing well in the last few matches and he does a lot more tackling than most props especially Ward.

Why is Wigan not signing anyone such a crisis?
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

According to someone on the BBC forum we will be signing Robbie Paul...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A27076511

The speculation is endless...
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------