BEST WIGAN 13 EVER

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: BEST WIGAN 13 EVER

Post by DaveO »

Well I did do a fsvourite team but I am spoiled for choice so here is another take on the idea. Here is a team with several players for each position which represent to my eyes the best we have had in those positions for the time I have been watching the team.

Full Backs

Hampson, Radlinski

Wingers

Offiah, Feguson, Gill, Robinson, T Iro, Carney, Dallas, Preston

Centres

Bell, Tuigamala, Miles, Lydon, Stephenson, Panapa, Moore, Farrar, Renouf, K Iro, Connolly

stand-off

Edweards, Botica

Scrum Half

Gregory, Lam, Ford (for the 1985 final alone)

Loose forward

Hanley, Farrell, Clarke

Second Row

Potter, McGinty, Betts, Goodway

Hooker

Dermott, Kiss, Hall, The little Aussie whois name I forget

Props

Skerrett, Platt, Cowie, McdDrmott, C Smith, O'Connor

You might notice not many from the current team make it into my all time greats list but there are a number who I am sure will with a few more seasons under their belts such as O'Loughlin and Hock.

I think the interesting position is centre. With the exception of Renouf who is a recent player,everyone I have in there is better than anything we have played in that position for at least the last three seasons.

Watching the 1994 highlists video recently showed just how good Connolly was but highlighted what a shadow of that he ended his days with Wigan as.

Players like Wilde have done well but isn't up to any of them as a true centre. The less said the better about players like Ainscough as a centre.

Dave
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

DaveO posted:
Is Andy Platt now in the list? I am pretty sure he wasn't when I did my favourite team a few months back.

Dave
I've added him now. No profile though.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Linzi

Post by Linzi »

DaveO posted:Hooker

Dermott, Kiss, Hall, The little Aussie whois name I forget

Robbie McCormack?
mark prescott

Post by mark prescott »

yes u r right doug russell did end up at cas and it was just an idea over mordt he would have probably stayed longer but for the politics within the club at that time ellery and co didnt like bein called kaffa
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Doug Stand, Ray Mordt was an international class act on the wing. I remember him in one game away at Hull KR, when they had a good team, he was going flat out and the Hull KR full back, some unknown local chap called George Fairbairn, was coming across to the wing and it was obvious that he was going to clatter Mordt into touch but then just as he got there, Mordt already at top speed? seemed to put on another 20mph and left George floundering in the mud. Never mind international Mordt was World class, just a pity that for whatever reason he didn't fit in at Wigan, see Luke Robinson.
Interestingly of course he went back to South Africa to be banned for playing Rugby League, don't think he is there now but last time I saw him he was on the SA RU international team as a coach.
Are you the same Doug Stand that was the highlight of the programme at Central Park or are you just cribbing his name? :)
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.