very worrying only 140k left under the cap

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Hawkeye

Re: very worrying only 140...

Post by Hawkeye »

I'm just glad relagtion is being scrapped.

And this news with effect season ticket sales badly IMO.
JIMH

Post by JIMH »

i'm wondering if we only have £140k left in the cap because whelan somehow managed to put money into the club via sponsership, gift etc etc and that enabled to to use the full cap and not just 50% of income. now whelan has gone so has his money so we can only spend 50% of whatever is now being put into the club???

i don't know if that is the case or even legal under the cap its just an idea i've plucked out of thin air.
WE CAN BEAT SAINTS!!!! YOU KNOWS IT!!!!
popularmon

Post by popularmon »

I think the reason why weve only got 140K is due to giving Hansan, Goulding, McColrum, improved contract for next season!!
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

popularmon posted:
I think the reason why weve only got 140K is due to giving Hansan, Goulding, McColrum, improved contract for next season!!
That's possible. When you consider that Ashton, Millard and Withers will have been on cheap salaries, and Coley will have eaten away into a lot of, say, Fletch's salary, once you have given more to some existing players then the only salary left is DV's, which is about right at £140k.

I think we need to lose some more players to be able to get more in, and I don't think we've got enough players to lose...!
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

NICKYKISS posted:
Jeez that sounds really bad.

I've got to say i'm stunned beyond belief. How the hell is there only 140k left in the kitty?

The deferred payments must really be starting to kick in and i expect Barrett and Fielden are probably on more next season then this(Barrett for sure).
The thing is why would the deferred payments be kicking in at all?

They were only deferred to prevent us going over the cap in 2006 and since we lost the argument about that and got done for going over anyway, the sensible thing to do is give the players the pay back dated to 2006. No need for deferred payments or a credit note. Just back to a normal wage structure.

Mo said we got credit notes because we were not allowed to make those payments. We could not use it to sign players in 2007 as the signing deadline had gone but that still leaves a credit note for 2008 of (I assume) half the amount or about £110K.

I just can't see how £110K aded to DV's wage (conservative estimate £140K) and Fletchers (conservative estimate £80K) can have been spent on the rest of the squad already. That means about £190K was "deferred" if we have only £140K left to spend.
I said earlier i'd be happy with 2 players but what i meant by that was 2 'class' signings and we arn't going to get that for 140k.
I agree. We actually need a minimum of three - experienced prop, centre and full back and all three need to be a cut above average if we are to progress.

Dave
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Its clear to see now were paying to much money to players who doesnt deserve it. fielden on the money he's making is a luxury we simply cant afford, Barrett is worth every penny he gets but what happens if he gets injured??? other than them too i cant think of any other player who could command a huge wage maybe Feka and bailey and IMO they dont warrent huge pay packets. to have only 140k left in a squad thats as small as ours is unbelievable.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

JIMH posted:
i'm wondering if we only have £140k left in the cap because whelan somehow managed to put money into the club via sponsership, gift etc etc and that enabled to to use the full cap and not just 50% of income. now whelan has gone so has his money so we can only spend 50% of whatever is now being put into the club???
No, the 50% rule has been scrapped for next season. All clubs can spend to the cap limit regardless of income which is why HKR have been able to go on a signing spree.

Dave
Wayne's World

Post by Wayne's World »

DaveO posted:
JIMH posted:
No, the 50% rule has been scrapped for next season. All clubs can spend to the cap limit regardless of income which is why HKR have been able to go on a signing spree.

Dave
which will lead them to going bust ,you no my opinion of the cap 50% was the only thing i agreed with ,to keep clubs stable.Realising that and letting clubs spend a the maximum again makes it easyer for the smaller clubs as the bigger clubs again are being held back ,i can c a few clubs going bust soon as thj 50% cap as gone.If u cant afford it youmcants spend it ,if u can let them spend it.Equal playing field my ass its a sport for crying out loud
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

Wayne's World posted:
DaveO posted:
JIMH posted:

Dave
which will lead them to going bust ,you no my opinion of the cap 50% was the only thing i agreed with ,to keep clubs stable.Realising that and letting clubs spend a the maximum again makes it easyer for the smaller clubs as the bigger clubs again are being held back ,i can c a few clubs going bust soon as thj 50% cap as gone.If u cant afford it youmcants spend it ,if u can let them spend it.Equal playing field my ass its a sport for crying out loud
sorry that was my rant lol
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Just listened to Nobby and watched the Lenegan interview.

The crucial comment from Lenegan was the fact the credit note is to be spread over FOUR years. So that is roughly £55K a year.

We therefore have £55K extra to spend on our cap compared to everyone else for 2008. So that works out at £1.7m (the cap goes up to £1.65m for 2008).

This also means if we only have £140K to spend then if that includes the £55k extra we have this year the exit of five players two of whom are considered high earners has only freed up £85K which is a joke.

Clearly some of our players are on far too much for the qualities they have. I am all for paying class players very good wages. You can't win a thing with 20 average players in your side IMO but based on last seasons form only Barrett warrants a really high wage.

What a waste of the time Barrett is here not being able to add some much needed class to the side him in the obvious positions.

Dave