Which position do we get a player for then?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Which position do we get a player for then?

Post by DaveO »

Given there is only £140K to spend we are not going to get what I think is the minimum of three players needed to strengthen the squad, a full back, a centre and a prop.

That being the case which position to we go for?

I think Coley has be used as a prop now. Hansen and Hock will have to cover 2nd row.

So that is the prop slot taken care of. Not ideal but a valid compromise I think.

The other obvious compromise is full back retaining Richards in that position. I don't like this idea because as I have said before bringing in Hodgson would allow us to improve two positions leaving us with a better full back and better winger than we have with Richards at FB and Colbon on the wing.

I think we will have to make the compromise at fullback because Goulding is not up to taking over form DV full time meaninvg we needa centre.

So my conclusion is we need to spend the money on a centre.

Some may say get two players for the £140K but I don't think £70K a player buys you much quality these days so I think they should blow the majority of it on Cooper if he will come over for £140k or less.

What do others think?

Dave
jinkin jimmy

Re: Which position do we get a...

Post by jinkin jimmy »

TBH I don't think Cooper would come for £140K. :(
lucky 13

Re: Which position do we g...

Post by lucky 13 »

If we could get a good prop it may allow us to be competitive and dominant enough to win games with the back line we have not ideal but what would a Brent Grose like player cost? he could cover all the back line positions . We must have been in some mess to be in this position we need Nobby to pull off a couple of wonder signings on the cheap
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

A centre
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I'd say centre. We only have one senior centre at the club - and he's really a second row. Bailey and Goulding need help in that position.

Second choice would be fullback. We have enough forwards to get by - full back is a crucial position and we don't have any cover at all (if only we still had Chris Melling).

For the pack, just put danny hill on a mega-weight gain 4000 diet in the offseason or something!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

I would say centre is our biggest problem i dont think Goulding is up to SL standard yet needs more time.
chnwh

Post by chnwh »

A centre is a must now. This means we keep pretty much the same side as we finished the season with:

Richards, Calderwood, Bailey, New Centre, Colbon, Barrett, Lulu, Fielden, McIlorum, Feka, Hansen, Hock, Lockers

Coley, Prescott, Higham, Goulding

Goulding replaces a SR and Bailey moves to SR
Coley and Prescott rotate with Feka and Fielden with Coley being used as a back up SR should we get an injury. My only concern is that McIlorum isn't experienced enough to start a game yet, but hey ho.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

DaveO posted:
Given there is only £140K to spend we are not going to get what I think is the minimum of three players needed to strengthen the squad, a full back, a centre and a prop.

I think Coley has be used as a prop now. Hansen and Hock will have to cover 2nd row.

So that is the prop slot taken care of. Not ideal but a valid compromise I think.

The other obvious compromise is full back retaining Richards in that position. I don't like this idea because as I have said before bringing in Hodgson would allow us to improve two positions leaving us with a better full back and better winger than we have with Richards at FB and Colbon on the wing.

I think we will have to make the compromise at fullback because Goulding is not up to taking over form DV full time meaninvg we needa centre.

Some may say get two players for the £140K but I don't think £70K a player buys you much quality these days so I think they should blow the majority of it on Cooper if he will come over for £140k or less.

What do others think?

Dave
I tend to agree, although I feel that perhaps we're all underrating Goulding.

This bit, in particular:

"...Goulding is not up to taking over form DV..."
Kinda puts the situation into perspective. Apart from DV's last handful of games, most of us were saying play Goulding ahead of him.
jackoh

Post by jackoh »

DaveO posted:

What do others think?

Dave
I don`t know if the 140 K is correct or not , but the thing is , were we so much over the salary cap for last year .
We have lost 4 players , we can`t defer contract payments which must mean we were well over the cap last year knowing that Fletcher and Vealeaki were on big contracts . Are we going to get points deducted again next year .
We must know the truth , I have already purchesed my season tickets for next year , if I `ld have known the above I`ld have considered otherwise ,
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Dave O you sort of convinced me with the center before prop debate although both would be better if we only got Cooper I would be ok with it.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!