Which position do we get a player for then?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Which position do we g...

Post by DaveO »

GeoffN posted:
I tend to agree, although I feel that perhaps we're all underrating Goulding.

This bit, in particular:

"...Goulding is not up to taking over form DV..."
Kinda puts the situation into perspective. Apart from DV's last handful of games, most of us were saying play Goulding ahead of him.
I don't think its a measure of how good or how poor DV was. When DV was poor (most of the time) anyone would do! But being serious I don't think Goulding is ready for a full season in the first team. That was the point I was making there.

I think McIllorum is so Millards replacement is sorted. But it isn't just about being ready its also about being effective. I think Goulding can make the grade and be effective but not yet and we have been crying out for an effective attacking centre for some years.

It's just a pity we also need the two other players at the same time with no money to buy them.

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jinkin jimmy posted:
TBH I don't think Cooper would come for £140K. :(
Does $AUD 317K sound any better? I was sort of hoping the exchange rate might work in our favour. Wishful thinking perhaps.

Dave
lancaster warrior

Post by lancaster warrior »

jackoh posted:
DaveO posted:
Given there is only £140K to spend we are not going to get what I think is the minimum of three players needed to strengthen the squad, a full back, a centre and a prop.

That being the case which position to we go for?

I think Coley has be used as a prop now. Hansen and Hock will have to cover 2nd row.

So that is the prop slot taken care of. Not ideal but a valid compromise I think.

The other obvious compromise is full back retaining Richards in that position. I don't like this idea because as I have said before bringing in Hodgson would allow us to improve two positions leaving us with a better full back and better winger than we have with Richards at FB and Colbon on the wing.

I think we will have to make the compromise at fullback because Goulding is not up to taking over form DV full time meaninvg we needa centre.

So my conclusion is we need to spend the money on a centre.

Some may say get two players for the £140K but I don't think £70K a player buys you much quality these days so I think they should blow the majority of it on Cooper if he will come over for £140k or less.

What do others think?

Dave
I don`t know if the 140 K is correct or not , but the thing is , were we so much over the salary cap for last year .
We have lost 4 players , we can`t defer contract payments which must mean we were well over the cap last year knowing that Fletcher and Vealeaki were on big contracts . Are we going to get points deducted again next year .
We must know the truth , I have already purchesed my season tickets for next year , if I `ld have known the above I`ld have considered otherwise ,
The reason we were over the cap last year was because the rfl said we could then couldnt defer wages. They took into account the wages we defered over last year and next onto 2006 salary cap. If they didnt then we would not have been over the cap nor would we for last year or next (we would have no money for extra players tho). So next year we wont/shouldnt have any points deducted for being over the cap as we acctualy underspent by that £140k-ish. This is were the "extra" money has come from, so we are no longer over the cap but should have money to spare, this being half of what we were over for 2006 - £140k.
allways have and allways will hate st helens
lancaster warrior

Post by lancaster warrior »

Oh forgot, a centre would do me fine too. This allowing to stil be able to play Goulding at centre and moving Baily into the pack, when needed.
allways have and allways will hate st helens
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

it has to be a centre ,thankfully the youger lads have a nother year on them and last seasons playing time will help them alot
pedro

Post by pedro »

ok...but its the deffered payments that put us over last year. So, this year they cannot be counted again. We have lost 2 of the biggest earners at the club aswell as Ashton, Withers and Millard. We can only afford Coley and 140K. Doesnt add up for me somehow.
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

i beleive with the limited resources we find ourselves with grix from widnes would make a good fb
for us.he would not be expensive and would free up richards.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

£140,000 is a very decent sum in Aus $

I presume we could also sign say Cooper and pay him X amount in 2008, increasing to Y amount in 2009 or tie up extra money in bonuses for 2009.

The great thing about Cooper is that defensively he would cover for any weakness immediately inside / outside him. He is also experienced and if we are going to be using youngsters elsewhere they need seasoned professionals to bring them on.

Fewer Top Drawer Player(s) AND Youngsters is a far better proposition than More Average / Potential SL Players and Youngsters.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Probably end up with Nathan MC Avoy as centre and Carvell as prop .
Bear

Post by Bear »

Center!
OOOOOO were the greatest club in the world!!!!