Matt Copper deny's move

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shawcross da warrior

Re: Matt Copper deny's mov...

Post by shawcross da warrior »

whos matt copper aniway.....

i think i would rather have matt cooper myself..... :lol: :roll:
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

I'm not negative in the slightest if we can sign 2/3 decent squad filler type players on 1 year deals until we can re-structure the wage bill at the club.

These players need to be desperate to prove themsleves at a big club and hopefully the sort that will fight tough and nail for a 2008 contract.

We have enough good youngsters to fill the rest of the squad out and they can work with any new players so that everyone can get a rest and stay as fresh as possible.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

the grinch posted:
whats been wrong with wigan the past few years is there isnt enough wigan in the team. over rated kiwi's over the hill aussies and over payed super stars who never seem to deliver. now we are getting the formula right!
As others have already said, the "Wigan-born" factor is a complete myth. We have far more Wiganers in the squad now than we had in the late 80's - early 90's.

Take a look at all our CC winning teams from that era and see just how many local lads are in them.

Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Bear posted:
i agree fraggle, although we do need these players for a year or two, to show the youngsters more tips and how to improve
We need a balanced side, including youngsters which we have at the moment as well as carefully-selected imports who can add value to the team. Some people have a downer on most of the imports, yet we've been privilaged to see the likes of Barrett, Lam, Renouf, and others in Wigan colours in recent years. Long may that continue.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Fraggle posted:
Bear posted:
i agree fraggle, although we do need these players for a year or two, to show the youngsters more tips and how to improve
We need a balanced side, including youngsters which we have at the moment as well as carefully-selected imports who can add value to the team. Some people have a downer on most of the imports, yet we've been privilaged to see the likes of Barrett, Lam, Renouf, and others in Wigan colours in recent years. Long may that continue.

What if the club use the 140k and buy Renouf a new pair of knees, lungs and heart and make him into a 21 year old again :D that'll do me
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

NICKYKISS posted:
I'm not negative in the slightest if we can sign 2/3 decent squad filler type players on 1 year deals until we can re-structure the wage bill at the club.

These players need to be desperate to prove themsleves at a big club and hopefully the sort that will fight tough and nail for a 2008 contract.

We have enough good youngsters to fill the rest of the squad out and they can work with any new players so that everyone can get a rest and stay as fresh as possible.
I understand where you are coming from, but we could end up like Widnes who tried to buy experience at the right price & it is a far cry from quality. You only have to say would you have two good squad players or Trent Barrett.
- psycho -

Post by - psycho - »

ddtftf posted:
NICKYKISS posted:

I understand where you are coming from, but we could end up like Widnes who tried to buy experience at the right price & it is a far cry from quality. You only have to say would you have two good squad players or Trent Barrett.
yes but we have trent barrett, so lets build around him, sign some good players who'll do a job instead of spending loads on one overseas player a la vaealiki, as well as he did in his last season, he didnt earn his money from year 1 and 2, not by a long shot. so sometimes its better to have the coverage and the squad players that will graft for you a la mcavoy or liam botham.
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Not saying these lads will be over the hill has beens like Widnes would fill their side with but more up and coming mid 20's lads wanting a chance with a big club. Lads who would be prepared to put in the hard yards to gain a new contract to stay at the club beyond next year.

A few names i mentioned on rlfans were-

Grose
Atkins(would obvioulsy get a longer contract)
McManus
Beswick
Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook

Bear

Post by Bear »

Hawkeye posted:
Fraggle posted:
Bear posted:
Or what if the club raised a bit more money and bought cooper

What if the club use the 140k and buy Renouf a new pair of knees, lungs and heart and make him into a 21 year old again :D that'll do me
:lol:
OOOOOO were the greatest club in the world!!!!
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Cruncher posted:
dawbz posted:
Nobby has said in an interview (yesterday i think) that he only has 140k to spend and he will try and bring in a couple of players for that, he also said when he was at Bradford the one thing he was good at was getting good players for less money, now lets face it he did an excellent job at Bradford and i'm sure he will do the same here at Wigan.
I personally think we will have a good season in 2008.
If we sign the likes of Cooper in 2009 ect ect then things are looking good, but i personally have not written 2008 off.
Listening to the interviews over the last couple of days have given me something to look forward to, i can't understand all this negative stuff coming off this board.Come on Wigan.
A lot of it is because way too many people blithely accepted the assurances of 'those in the know' that we had two or three mega-signings lined up.

We would do well to list those stars we were going to sign, and alongside them, list those posters who were so certain they were coming. That way, whenever there are future rumours, we can check these two lists for reference, and make an informed decision as to whether we believe or not.
This is hopefully on its way for 2008 - an insider score for each user... :lol:
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐