Feka this year or last?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
- psycho -

Re: Feka this year or last...

Post by - psycho - »

Cruncher posted:
For what Feka's costing us, has he been worth it at all?

I'm not saying his contract is exclusively the cause of our current recruitment plight, but I'll bet the big fella is on a very tidy sum.

So the question stands. For 15 minutes a match, has he been worth it? After two years, I'm inclining towards 'no'.
lets be honest, hes not been 15 minutes a match. and elts be honest, when he goes off we go down hill. this season proves that. when he leaves the impact goes. which is a good thing we've got coley because he willa dd the size, hansen and hock can cover second row we know that, and bailey can be put there when we bring goulding on to give either a rest. also prescott can be used at prop or second row so that is another option.

we just need players that will do us the job, instead of gambling the money on players who are here for the money. look at noble's bradford side. it had some great players but some where chances, e.g. stanley gene, st hilaire, platt, bai, they were all good signings because they did a really good job for bradford when called upon.
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

Feka was at his best about midway through the season when Wigan played Hull FC, he was making great runs, stayed on the field longer and was still effective after coming off the bench. Unfortunately he got injury and that meant some of the work done on his fitness in training was lost.

I think has been well worth the money, he might only play in 15 minute spells but he makes a lot of meters. Not only that Feka on a number of occasions has turned a game for Wigan, against Hull FC one big run for Feka practically turned the game around, there are loads of example where a run from Feka has moved Wigan from a difficult position in there own half to an attacking position in the opposition half.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

- psycho - posted:
look at noble's bradford side. it had some great players but some where chances, e.g. stanley gene, st hilaire, platt, bai, they were all good signings because they did a really good job for bradford when called upon.
Not sure about the likes of Gene, he was just wanting to suppliment his pension, but I'm sure Bai will have been a big earner. He was once very highly rated Down Under, back in his bleached hair days, and I doubt he'd have come here for just a few pence.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

adrenalinxx posted:
Feka was at his best about midway through the season when Wigan played Hull FC, he was making great runs, stayed on the field longer and was still effective after coming off the bench. Unfortunately he got injury and that meant some of the work done on his fitness in training was lost.

I think has been well worth the money, he might only play in 15 minute spells but he makes a lot of meters. Not only that Feka on a number of occasions has turned a game for Wigan, against Hull FC one big run for Feka practically turned the game around, there are loads of example where a run from Feka has moved Wigan from a difficult position in there own half to an attacking position in the opposition half.
The money that Feka is maybe on put in context could buy Peacock or Carvell i know which id sooner have .
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Flash posted:
The money that Feka is maybe on put in context could buy Peacock or Carvell i know which id sooner have .
I don't know the figures but I doubt the money Feka is on would come close to signing Peacock!
Agreed. Given his relative age and all, I don't have Feka is one of the highest earners at the club. I have absolutely no way of knowing, but would think him to be on similar money to Lockers and Hock, who are behind the likes of Barrett and Fielden. Not sure where Richards fits in, but I would expect Phil Bailey to be on top money, and also Mark Calderwood as well. We'd probably have to swap Fielden to get Peacock in...

And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....

[hr]
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Fraggle posted:
We'd probably have to swap Fielden to get Peacock in...
Pretty good swap on this years showings, Peacocks had a great season.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

gpartin posted:
Fraggle posted:
I'm inclined to agree. Might solve the captaincy dilemma people often think we have as well - as GB captain no-one could argue with Peacock's credentials...

[hr]
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Fraggle posted:
gpartin posted:
Fraggle posted:
I'm inclined to agree. Might solve the captaincy dilemma people often think we have as well - as GB captain no-one could argue with Peacock's credentials...
Indeed, how old are they both btw?
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

gpartin posted:

Indeed, how old are they both btw?
Jamie Peacock - 14/Dec/1977, so almost 30.

Stuart Fielden - 14/Sep/1979, so recently 28.

The old gits :) He says at the grand old age of older than both of them...!

[hr]
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

jaws1 posted:
Cruncher posted:
For what Feka's costing us, has he been worth it at all?

I'm not saying his contract is exclusively the cause of our current recruitment plight, but I'll bet the big fella is on a very tidy sum.

So the question stands. For 15 minutes a match, has he been worth it? After two years, I'm inclining towards 'no'.
I agree with you . What we need is a prop who can last at least 50/60 mins not a ten minute wonder.
I agree as well. The amount of people that complain about Fielden and then defend Feka is staggering. Fielden has got better as the season go on and put in some good games for 80 minutes. Whilst Feka plays 20-25 minutes at the most.

I bet pound per minute on the field Feka is costing us a lot more than Fielden.