lenaghan in full control

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
right cross

Re: lenaghan in full contr...

Post by right cross »

of course, nobby will tell him who and why and leny will try is best to get him at the right price and on the right contract [under the salary cap]simple really horses for courses
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

i agree' did anyone pickup on IL'S statement after handing over to the new chairman of QUINS "I have left this club financily healthy & DEBT FREE".which is more than can be said for many other rugby or rugby teams?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

platt-warrior posted:
i agree' did anyone pickup on IL'S statement after handing over to the new chairman of QUINS "I have left this club financily healthy & DEBT FREE".which is more than can be said for many other rugby or rugby teams?
Good for Quins but as far as I know he is picking Wigan up from its current owner which is also debt free and one that has tangible assets in that it owns the freehold to the Orrell training ground. When DW took over the club was £3.5m in debt. When IL took over at Quins it was (I think) after London Broncos debts had been written off due to them folding and being effectively re-formed as Quins. In other words Quins didn't have any debt when he got hold of them so it would be a bit of a poor show if he left them in debt.

Dave
vikingstorm

Re: lenaghan in full control

Post by vikingstorm »

You have to be cautious here. Im sure Noble and Lydon will establish a good working relationship, such that if Noble really wants a player Lydon will argue the case on his behalf.
I thinks the new owner is a good move for Wigan.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

right cross posted:
of course, nobby will tell him who and why and leny will try is best to get him at the right price and on the right contract [under the salary cap]simple really horses for courses
You can't assume it will always be that way. If there are alternatives it may well be Lenegan who decides based on a number of factors such as cost and other contract details that the players want (offshore payments??). Nobby may prefer player "a" but for various reason IL will tell Nobby it has got to be player "b".

What about the kind of situation where Nobby and Dean Bell fell out? Where Bell wanted to sign one junior and Nobby another? It isn't an easy job IL has nor a clear simple one.

Dave
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

vikingstorm posted:
You have to be cautious here. Im sure Noble and Lydon will establish a good working relationship, such that if Noble really wants a player Lydon will argue the case on his behalf.
I thinks the new owner is a good move for Wigan.
Didn't Lydon actually get Keiron Cunningham to agree terms with Wigan in the mid/late 90's?, only for (if I can remember Jack Robinson), to "pull the plug", seeing Joe quit Wigan in frustration.
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!