captaincy

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
hayley 04

captaincy

Post by hayley 04 »

I am very, very angry at the decision to make Sean O Loughlin the captain for yesterday's game against London. Can somebody please explain why when Danny Orr was playing and is a far superior player and has greater influence on the team. He works ten times harder than Mr O Loughlin and certainly deserves this great honour far more than Sean.
warrior till i die

Re: captaincy

Post by warrior till i die »

because betts will see sean as the next wigan captain and i feel sean deserves it over danny orr.
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may.
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

I'm open to people having their own opinion but I don't think some of your comments are actually fair. Unless you know Sean O'Loughlin and Danny Orr very well and very personally then I don't see how you can say Danny Orr is superior? Correct me if I'm wrong but from what you've said, I've understood that you think Orr is the harder worker?

I am a big fan of Danny Orr, and the general opinion on this message board of him has been split, as he didn't make the impact that was expected last year but I have stood by him. However O'Loughlin in my opinion is a much more consistent player. Danny Orr tends to have some games where he shines (not seen too many of these) and most where he blends into the background and does what he has to. O'Loughlin seems to be a bit like Newton in that he is involved in nearly every part of play. I understand that he may be a little less experienced but you can't deny how mature he is for a "youngster" I also think since he has been with Wigan a fair bit longer than Orr, he actually has more influence. I personally think Orr still needs time to settle with the team as a Stand Off, making him captain might be a bit too much pressure, if he wants to make a real impact this year like we know he can, he needs to concentrate on his play rather than telling others what to do.

Practice what you preach I say!!

Anyway, that was only for yesterdays match it doesn't necessarily mean that it's till Faz comes back.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
proud_pie_eater

Post by proud_pie_eater »

I doubt Orr worked "ten times harder," both players have "superior" talent but I really do believe that, for the moment, Sean O'Loughlin is the best man for the job!
NUMBER 1 SPOT HERE WE COME!!!
wigan_babe_13

Post by wigan_babe_13 »

Kris Radlinski is the pfficial vice-captain and he will skipper the side while Faz is injured. Lockers will be back-up to Rads!
hayley 04

Post by hayley 04 »

To Mrs Lam unless you know the players personally as commented by you to me what's the difference in you giving your opinion about Sean O Loughlin. Is it because it differs from mine? As a true Wigan fan I don't want to turn this into an arguement. I'm entitled to my opinion and looking back at previous captains i.e Dean Bell, Ellery Hanley and Andrew Farrell he hardly fits into the reputation we have for having superb influential leaders whether it was a one-off or not.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

hayley 04 posted:
I am very, very angry at the decision to make Sean O Loughlin the captain for yesterday's game against London. Can somebody please explain why when Danny Orr was playing and is a far superior player and has greater influence on the team. He works ten times harder than Mr O Loughlin and certainly deserves this great honour far more than Sean.
I really can't understand your reasoning for being so angry at Lockers being captain. I personally think it would make sense for Danny Orr to establish himself in the team before giving him captaincy. Last season was a great let down for Danny compared to expectation; whereas O'Loughlin came to the fore as a consistent top peformer.

Sean was top tackler (or perhaps second) which certainly shows his work rate is high. His skill cannot be doubted as he has shown with some great tries, two on Sunday and several more last season. The fact he made it into the GB squad without all the hype that McGuire got shows he is quality.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

I still think it a mistake to give the captaincy to Radlinski since I feel that when he was doing the job last year his own personal performance dropped sharply, I am sure someone will correct me but I seem to remember a distinct lack of tries from him as captain.
I was not an o'Loughlin fan last year at the start of the season on the basis that he was too small to be loose forward and too slow to be stand off but by the end of the season I had to admit that he was our player of the year, just watch who makes the first tackle after each of his kicks, 95% of the time it is o'Loughlin himself and all there is to say about his tactical kicking game is that he was the only one to trouble the Aussies in any of the matches last autumn whenever he came on.
I agree he is probably too young but the GB management have picked him for the England A captaincy so they must have seen something and I would hope that he would expand his game with the responsibility rather than go into his cell as Kris does.
Having said all that I do recognise that the club have already picked Radders, another wrong decision just like signing Orr and having to get rid of Robinson!
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
hayley 04

Post by hayley 04 »

Well if Sean O Loughlin is back up to Kris Radlinski as captain what about more experienced players on the team who deserve a chance like Terry Newton, Brett Dallas, Brian Carney, Danny Orr. These players are all seasoned internationals whose influence on this great club is second to none. At the moment Sean O Loughlin isn't captain material and if its because he's a good youngster what about our unsung hero Danny Tickle who puts in consistantly good performances week after week.
hayley 04

Post by hayley 04 »

it wasn't a mistake signing Danny Orr as it was Stuart Raper who got him and in my opinion Stuart was one of the greatest coaches we have seen at this wonderful club. Secondly I don't care what O Loughlin does for Britain as I support Wigan not Britain. For me personally O Loughlin still has to prove himself to me