nobby

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: nobby

Post by DaveO »

Cruncher posted:
We mustn't automatically conclude that just because Edwards is a friend of Lenagan, it means they'll soon be working together. Similar assumptions were made about Peter Moran, and then look - it transpired that he and Lenagan were only seen together at functions because they're cousins.
Well similar assumptions about Joe Lydon becoming CEO were made because he was associated with Lenagen at Quins. Look what transpired there!

Bottom line is you can't rule Edwards in for 2009 or rule him out for 2009 just because he might have been a fellow exile.

Personally I hope Nobby stays on so we don't revert to having yet another new coach in charge but that will be up to him as much as IL and Joe Lydon. I also think Edwards would have no trouble converting to an RL coach but we need the stability rather then we need Edwards IMO.

However if Nobby does leave after next season he will be somewhat of a rarity in a Wigan coach. One who saw his contract out and was here for three years.

Dave
Susi

Post by Susi »

I would like to see Nobby stay, he has been good for us, it would be nice to win some silverware too.
However you have to look at where we were when he arrived and how far we have come now.
Imo he has improved the team although not vastly but he can only work with the resources he's given.

If the new owner wants to have a significant imput i can see this make nobby wave bye bye at the end of his contract.
I dearly would love to see Shaun here he's my ultimate 'god' of rugby and although i love him to bits feel he would have to serve out a little time as assistant coach. Mind you it's not a bad idea.
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

I'm hoping Shaun will be too busy helping Warren Gatland coach Wales to another Grand Slam in 2009...Nobby will stay won't he?
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

stevo38 posted:
maybe shaun edwards is name as been linked with lenaghan for quite some time ?
An idea would be for Edwards to come in as assistant with Nobby on another 2 year contract to bed Edwards in.

Nobby has worked a miracle over the last 2 years. People should not forget until he came we were going to NL1. Even Lenahan should be reminded of that if he is not offering him another contract.
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

DaveO posted:
Cruncher posted:
We mustn't automatically conclude that just because Edwards is a friend of Lenagan, it means they'll soon be working together. Similar assumptions were made about Peter Moran, and then look - it transpired that he and Lenagan were only seen together at functions because they're cousins.

Well similar assumptions about Joe Lydon becoming CEO were made because he was associated with Lenagen at Quins. Look what transpired there!

Bottom line is you can't rule Edwards in for 2009 or rule him out for 2009 just because he might have been a fellow exile.

Personally I hope Nobby stays on so we don't revert to having yet another new coach in charge but that will be up to him as much as IL and Joe Lydon. I also think Edwards would have no trouble converting to an RL coach but we need the stability rather then we need Edwards IMO.

Dave
Okay, so the assumers finally got lucky. It was bound to happen sooner or later. Helped a little on this occasion by the fact that Lydon actually WAS associated with Lenagan in that he actually worked for him. Edwards doesn’t work for him, and, as far as I’m aware, never has done. He’s been seen watching Harlequins matches in the VIP area, along with sundry other RL notables.

However, I don’t wish to turn this into another of those arguments which you seem to pick for fun these days.

All I’m saying is that we can’t read anything into Shaun Edwards being seen at Quins. He might be on his way to Wigan. I didn’t rule it out. In fact, I ruled it in – I said it was a possibility that he’d get a coaching job with us some time in the future. But I feel certain he’d need to serve an RL coaching apprenticeship first, as the game’s moved on in leaps and bounds since he got his qualification.

Like you, I hope that Nobby stays and sees out his contract – for the sake of preventing disruption if nothing else.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

thegimble posted:
stevo38 posted:
An idea would be for Edwards to come in as assistant with Nobby on another 2 year contract to bed Edwards in.

Nobby has worked a miracle over the last 2 years. People should not forget until he came we were going to NL1. Even Lenahan should be reminded of that if he is not offering him another contract.
Massive assumption to make that Edwards would actually be prepared to work as an assistant coach.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

thegimble

Post by thegimble »

gpartin posted:
thegimble posted:
stevo38 posted:

Massive assumption to make that Edwards would actually be prepared to work as an assistant coach.
Even bigger one to think hed be a good league coach though/
right cross

Post by right cross »

Cruncher posted:
The question we've got to ask ourselves is: Who else is there who's better?

Short of taking on a top NRL first-grade coach, which could happen but is pretty unlikely, I can't think of anyone else who I'd want instead of Nobby. There's certainly no-one currently coaching in Britain.

mathew elliot would do ,he must be sick of coaching usa ,he was there on saturday watching
The Nobster has worked miracles with extremely limited resources. When he took over we were 6 points clear at the bottom. A season and a half later, we finished third and reached the SF of the Challenge Cup.

Hopefully, if we can recognise this, the new management will be able to as well.
:exc:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Cruncher posted:
Okay, so the assumers finally got lucky. It was bound to happen sooner or later. Helped a little on this occasion by the fact that Lydon actually WAS associated with Lenagan in that he actually worked for him. Edwards doesn’t work for him, and, as far as I’m aware, never has done. He’s been seen watching Harlequins matches in the VIP area, along with sundry other RL notables.
Wasn't he supposed to have been asked by IL to cast an eye over the Wigan team on his behalf? That was a rumour doing the rounds for a while.
However, I don’t wish to turn this into another of those arguments which you seem to pick for fun these days.
Merely pointing out you can't draw conclusions about Edwards based on him being a fellow exile or not one way to the other.
All I’m saying is that we can’t read anything into Shaun Edwards being seen at Quins. He might be on his way to Wigan. I didn’t rule it out. In fact, I ruled it in – I said it was a possibility that he’d get a coaching job with us some time in the future. But I feel certain he’d need to serve an RL coaching apprenticeship first, as the game’s moved on in leaps and bounds since he got his qualification.
Whether he needs an apprenticeship or not my view is if Edwards returns to league as a coach it will be as a head coach somewhere wherever it is. I think he would probably succeed as well being the driven sort of man he is.
Like you, I hope that Nobby stays and sees out his contract – for the sake of preventing disruption if nothing else.
Well I am hoping he might get a new deal, say a two year extension. Then at least he would have some time at the club when the financial constraints are not what they are now.

He may not want to stay of course.

Dave
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

WHAT AN INSULT TO SHAUN EDWARDS! HE NEEDS TO SERVE AN "APPRENTASHIP TO BE HEAD COACH" THE MAN HAS FORGOTTEN MORE ABOUT COACHING THAN SOME OF THESE SO CALLED PUNDITS.IMO I WOULD PREFER NOBLE TO STAY FOR A FEW SEASONS YET THEN WELCOME SHAUN WITH OPEN ARMS