Mathers to Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
WxmWarrior

Re: Mathers to Wigan

Post by WxmWarrior »

I think this is an astute bit of business to be honest.

Mather was world class before the injury and a number of issues also need to be taken into consideration

* We have protected ourselves to a large extent with the structure of the contract.

* It would appear we have also had a detailed medical review conducted.

*Mathers is homesick and desperate to play back in SL - I'd like to know what salary has been agreed but I bet it will be competitive and is likely to leave a residual sum for another player.

*This will allow Pat to return to a position where he was scoring tries for fun at one point and give us a fantastic attacking option from FB with a player previously recognised as world class in this position.

I think this is a fantastic signing and, with the addition of either a strike centre or workhorse prop I honestly think we can improve again over this season.

Aaron
"[img]http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/7545 ... orsxt9.jpg[/img]"

"...try the veal, I'm here all week.."

Warriors07

Post by Warriors07 »

Martin Taylor

Post by Martin Taylor »

I think Mathers is obviously a gamble, but the way the contract has been structured is a good bit of business on Wigan's behalf. Lets be honest, given the history of injuries and the fact that he is homesick, the money offered to him will probably not be silly!
It's also not the massive gamble some people think it will be either! Worse case scenario, he get's injured early doors, we simply revert Pat back to full-back and Colborn (who has not let anyone down) gets his place back on the wing!
As a player i think he has great potential, especially in a position there are not that many outstanding talents who are both British and young! he can score points, can link in well to the attack and seems to always give his all!
I think we will have to be a bit patient with him though, but over time i hope we can see him develop into a real talent and a future international!
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Warriors07 posted:
It on official site now

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news_full.asp?newsid=3401

Decent enough signing. We will never replace Rads thats impossible. But hes a step forward from Ashton and puts Richards back on the wing with Colbon on bench as cover. Good deal all round if he stays fit.
bertina

Post by bertina »

Warriors07 posted:
It on official site now

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news_full.asp?newsid=3401
Good bit of business in my opinion.
Potentially we get a world class player without paying silly money.
In the worst case scenario he breaks down again and we use the get out clause to cancel his contract. Not that much of a gamble is it ?
Just think how much it would have cost to sign Mathers if he had not got injured.
He's only 24 and hopefully should make a full recovery, and on top of all that he's british.
Well done Wigan.
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

and a great replacement for the donkey GB have at fullback
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

im already warming to lenagen in a big way this is exactly the type of thing i wanted from a wigan signing. real potential and coverng the risk of him being a sick note!. great bit of business. Things are looking up we need to bolster the pack next, then with whatevers left look at centres
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

mike binder posted:
and a great replacement for the donkey GB have at fullback

Mike cmon you know Wellens is no Donkey. Please Mike stop making daft quotes.

HES A SNAIL.

thats official
Banksy

Post by Banksy »

Mathers is a good singing I think young and talented just hope the knee injury doesn't affect his time at Wigan.
standishwarrior

Post by standishwarrior »

Wigan_forever19 85 posted:
im already warming to lenagen in a big way this is exactly the type of thing i wanted from a wigan signing. real potential and coverng the risk of him being a sick note!. great bit of business. Things are looking up we need to bolster the pack next, then with whatevers left look at centres
imo a centre is more of a priority than a forward. i think coley and prescott wil be used to rotate with fielding/feka stating the obvious i know. imo hansen hock will start 2nd row think its between hill tompkins as sub 2nd row then that would allow us to bring goulding on and move bailey up2 2nd row when needed just my opinion