BRITISH PLAYERS

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
butt monkey

Re: BRITISH PLAYERS

Post by butt monkey »

LOL. Just admit you are wrong Pedro :lol:

I am not even sure that Radlinski started on the wing for Wigan either!! Wasn't it centre???? :doz:
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
pedro

Post by pedro »

Nope Rads was wing..watched him in the pre season 7's or 9's. Cassidy did start his first team career at hooker. Both smith and clarke were too young for the time and Crompton was at Oldham.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

pedro posted:
Nope Rads was wing..watched him in the pre season 7's or 9's. Cassidy did start his first team career at hooker. Both smith and clarke were too young for the time and Crompton was at Oldham.
Seeing as it WAS sevens - Radlinski MAY have played wing!!! :lol:

Crompton came from Warrington in 1992!!! :wink:

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
pedro

Post by pedro »

He then went off to start on the wing....Cassidy started at hooker although it may not have been the preferred position. Crompton only lasted 1 year I think and he was never fit also.
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

butt monkey posted:
pedro posted:
So...he did start of as hooker like I said. I never once said it was his primary position.
Like Rads started off on the wing then on to centre and fulback.
Thankyou and goodnight
No.

He started as a second rower (the "A" Team hookers at that time where Jon Clarke/Anthony Hatton/Russ Bridge and, later Mark Smith. Cassidy was not a hooker in the reserves :sigh: ) when called for in the first team, hooking position, do you not think we would have called a hooker up?. :roll:

Besides which, we tried the likes of Bobbie Goulding and Martin Crompton in that position anyway.
saw him at west bank yesterday
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
wigan1977

Post by wigan1977 »

mike binder posted:
butt monkey posted:
pedro posted:
So...he did start of as hooker like I said. I never once said it was his primary position.
Like Rads started off on the wing then on to centre and fulback.
Thankyou and goodnight
No.

He started as a second rower (the "A" Team hookers at that time where Jon Clarke/Anthony Hatton/Russ Bridge and, later Mark Smith. Cassidy was not a hooker in the reserves :sigh: ) when called for in the first team, hooking position, do you not think we would have called a hooker up?. :roll:

Besides which, we tried the likes of Bobbie Goulding and Martin Crompton in that position anyway.
saw him at west bank yesterday
i saw him at moorfield he was still bladerd :D
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

Its good to see Wigan signing British players since the number of overseas players will be reduced in a few years which could leave some clubs with only half a squad.

Now all we need to do is get our overseas players picked for GB/England like St Helens did and our whole squad could be off quota.

GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

adrenalinxx posted:
Its good to see Wigan signing British players since the number of overseas players will be reduced in a few years which could leave some clubs with only half a squad.

Now all we need to do is get our overseas players picked for GB/England like St Helens did and our whole squad could be off quota.
That's irrelevant under the new rules; the criterion is where they played at Academy level: that's why Hansen counts as off-quota even though he plays for both NZ and Samoa.

The reverse applies too; Fa'asavalu counts on their quota despite playing for GB.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

pedro posted:
He then went off to start on the wing....Cassidy started at hooker although it may not have been the preferred position. Crompton only lasted 1 year I think and he was never fit also.
:roll: I give up :with:

Martin Crompton, by Wigan's own admission, was signed because Andy Gregory kept refusing a groin operation which affected his ability to kick.

Greg was sold to Leeds, were this problem did not hamper him winning his new Club's Player of the Year Award!

Martin Crompton, was not the regular scrum half at Warrington, and was never good enough for Wigan! He was sold to Oldham, after Frano Botica moved to stand off alongside Shaun Edward's scrum half.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

adrenalinxx posted:
The quota will end up as five overseas players. Currently our overseas players by the new rule would be:

Richards
Feka
TL
Barrett
Bailey

Hansen would not be a quota player as he came through Wigan's academy.

So if we still have those players by the time the rule comes in fully (unlikely of course) we would already meet the requirements. We also have enough academy players in the 1st team squad to meet the new rules already.

So as long as we don't recruit any more overseas players Wigan already meet the new rules so do not need to recruit more British players specifically for that reason.

Of course some of our current overseas players contracts will be up before the rules are fully in force so I'd expect maybe one or two overseas recruits to overlap with our current overseas players time here.
Mary will remain a quota player and so he should or we are back to square one with a loophole that ends up with is getting more foreign players into our league.

Dave