Deferred payments!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ian.birchall

Re: Deferred payments!

Post by ian.birchall »

DaveO posted:
[I believe had it not been Wigan who had used this mechanism to stay within the cap no action would have been taken. But with all the fuss kicked up by the Cas chairman and the media the RFL decided that had to punish Wigan so used the convenient notion of what Wigan did not being in the spirit of the cap. That is just my opinion but it would not surprise me in the least if they bowed to pressure to be seen to be doing something.

Dave
Spot on Dave.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

ian.birchall posted:
What happens to the deferred payments now that Mason has gone to a new club? Can t'Bulldogs pay them willy nilly without these payments counting on their salary cap payments for 2008 as Mason is no longer on their playing register? I refuse to believe that Mason has lost these deferred payments for ever.
No he won't have lost the payments. The Bulldogs will have to pay him and they will count on the Bulldogs cap in a similar way the money St. George paid to Barrett last season counted in theirs.

Dave
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Big Steve posted:
The RFL were furious that they had been made to look foolish...
Hardly unusual!
BriH

Post by BriH »

Your absolutely bang on Dave! Dave Whelan should have contested the RFL ruling which was petty. I think ultimately, IL probably said leave it alone so I can start with no hang-ups from the past.
Spanakopitta

Post by Spanakopitta »

i think the fact that the RFL have refused to publish and make public the findings of the wigan salary cap inquiry says a lot! :angry:
GEER EM ONSIDE
Vaealikis Girl

Post by Vaealikis Girl »

The NRL salary cap is something that causes a lot of problems. It seems that it very much depends on the club as to whether or not you can breach it or not. There are so many clubs that have gotten fines for breaches but the punishment depends on the breaching.

Bulldogs lost almost all their competition points in umm i think it was 2002 because of huge salary cap breaches, part of which was due to Willie Mason's contract. For some reason the NRL decided that this was a good reason to help the club out instead of punish them further. After this they were given a number of allowances that they could use in order to get under the cap. Willie's payments may have been deferred as a part of this. If you ask me they should have lost all their players who put them over the cap.

It's something that needs a huge amount of work! But then again there is a big feud between Mason and the club at the moment and he often tends to be full of you know what so who knows what the truth is.
We'll miss you Freshy!!! Please come back!