the worst wigan team

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
JIMH

Re: the worst wigan team

Post by JIMH »

chnwh posted:
gpartin posted:
Some good suggestions.

Heard Danny Moore mentioned a few times in these discussions.

Might be my memory playing up but:

1: wasn't he a centre?
2: what did he do wrong?
He was a centre yes but I put him on the wing to accomodate other players.

He didn't really do anything wrong, but there have been better players than him so he fits into a worst Wigan side unfortunately. Similar to Mark Bell really.
Danny moore and Mark Bell?? now if my memory serves me right, i'm sure they both went home with Grand Fianl winners rings?!?! how do they manage to get in the worst team???
WE CAN BEAT SAINTS!!!! YOU KNOWS IT!!!!
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

JIMH posted:
chnwh posted:
gpartin posted:
Some good suggestions.

He didn't really do anything wrong, but there have been better players than him so he fits into a worst Wigan side unfortunately. Similar to Mark Bell really.
Danny moore and Mark Bell?? now if my memory serves me right, i'm sure they both went home with Grand Fianl winners rings?!?! how do they manage to get in the worst team???
Because they were still part of a general decline. However, I personally wouldn't include Mark Bell. I think he played well for us.
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

God posted:
Me too i thought Mark Bell was a good player as was Danny Moore, i think people are clutching at straws with these two.
The worst winger IMO was Desi Williams who only played 2 games and was supposed to be the next Jason Robinson how wrong were we.
And why have you left out Wain Mcdonald, Liam Botham, Jules O'Neil,Jordan James and Oliver Wilkes shame on you.

Ive done this before but my team would be.

1.Doc Murrey.
2.Desi Williams.
3.Sean Gleeson.
4.Kevin Brown.
5.Martin Aspinwall.
6.Jules O'Neil.
7.Dennis Moran.
8.Wain Mcdonald.
9.Mark Reber.
10.Hearvey Howard.
11.Liam Botham.
12.Jordan James.
13.Grieg Florimo.
Coach: Kel Coslett or Ian Millward.
The trouble with this sort of thing is it depends how far back you're going. You may or may not remember, but the 1970s saw legions of players pull on the Wigan shirt who should never have been allowed near Central Park.

I could name dozens who didn't care what it meant to represent this club, and quite a few who, as well as being bad players, were all-round bad eggs.
LKC29

Post by LKC29 »

1. Radders
2. Dallas
3. Connolly
4. Brett kenny
5. Richards
6. Edwards
7. Gregory
8. Terry O'conner
9. Newton
10. Faz
11. Betts
12. Cassidy
13. Clarke
14. Panapa
15. Botica
16. Barret
17. Feka

Thoughts????
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Mark Bell was a better player than he is given credit for. The great pity was Florimo who was signed well past his sell by date and was a pale shadow of the super player he once was.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Koloi has to be in there
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Not sure I could put together a 13, but I'd like to throw Wes Davies, Mark Hilton and Ricky Bibey into the mix as well. Ok, so Hilton didn't actually manage to play for Wigan but why on earth did we ever sign a player with an injury like he had? And then go and do something almost as bad a couple of years later with Luke Davico?! We've had some terrible props in recent years, if you consider Harvey NoYards, Brady Malam and Brett Goldspink in there as well, and Jerry SitheeSithee was hardly a success for us either.

For all that Feka gets criticised for his lack of game time and Fielden for being not so effective at times, and even Prescott for being too small, I'd rather have the 3 of them rather than any of the players I've listed above in our pack!
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Fraggle posted:
Not sure I could put together a 13, but I'd like to throw Wes Davies, Mark Hilton and Ricky Bibey into the mix as well. Ok, so Hilton didn't actually manage to play for Wigan but why on earth did we ever sign a player with an injury like he had? And then go and do something almost as bad a couple of years later with Luke Davico?! We've had some terrible props in recent years, if you consider Harvey NoYards, Brady Malam and Brett Goldspink in there as well, and Jerry SitheeSithee was hardly a success for us either.

For all that Feka gets criticised for his lack of game time and Fielden for being not so effective at times, and even Prescott for being too small, I'd rather have the 3 of them rather than any of the players I've listed above in our pack!
I was going to mention Bibey & Davies, but the original post did say "signings" rather than "players".
chnwh

Post by chnwh »

JIMH posted:
chnwh posted:
gpartin posted:
Some good suggestions.

Ricky Bibey has TWO Challenge Cup winners medals, doesn't make him a good player.

I'll admit I forgot players from 2006 who I could have used as either subs or starters, but the fact is we haven't signed that many bad wingers in the last 15 years. Therefore imo the worst of the bunch was Mark Bell.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Wingers - Gary Henley Smith and we had a lad called Phil something whom we packed off to Barrow