Were we unfair on Fielden?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Were we unfair on Fiel...

Post by DaveO »

mike binder posted:

he falls behind feka and barrett on this account
I have my doubts about that especially given Barrett's wage was subsidised by St. George and the club made quite something about it not paying a fortune for his services.

I'd also be surprised if Feka was on more than Fielden. Feka was not an experienced International prop signed in a crisis.

Regardless of who is right on the who earns the most out of these three I think it goes without saying Fielden is not on peanuts and will be one of the top earners at the club so the fans have justifiably high expectations.

Dave
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

feka signed a new deal last season ,these 3 are by far the best payers and st george are no longer paying any of barretts wages ,wigan now pay the full ammount
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

mike binder posted:
feka signed a new deal last season ,these 3 are by far the best payers and st george are no longer paying any of barretts wages ,wigan now pay the full ammount
Sorry Mike, but I can't agree that Feka is one of our best players. If he did it for 40 minutes a match instead of 10, I'd be inclined to agree with you.
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

Cruncher posted:
mike binder posted:
Sorry Mike, but I can't agree that Feka is one of our best players. If he did it for 40 minutes a match instead of 10, I'd be inclined to agree with you.
i said best payers not players :wink:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

mike binder posted:
Cruncher posted:
mike binder posted:
i said best payers not players :wink:
Apologies. I'm not the man I was.
old hooker

Re: Were we unfair on Fielden?

Post by old hooker »

I have criticised him and felt i was entitled to do say as i pay my money week in week out. Fielden has been poor and up to now not been worth the massive signing on fee and contract.However it may well be the injuries and if so then i will hold my hands up,but i will admit i have never considered him a great player, just a decent one with a stamina to play for long periods.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

:conf: Still not convinced either way

I think Fielden is brave and tries his hardest. His defence is very good. In attack his running style is poor. Can we attribute that to injury or is it simply bad technique and that technique brought the injury on?

:roll: Oh and when I criticised him elsewhere I seem to recall plenty doing so too.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

mike binder posted:
Well I know St. George will have stopped paying him because his contract with them would have by now expired but when you say Wigan are now paying him the full amount do you know this for certain or are you assuming that is the case?

I was under the impression when his St. George payments stopped Wigan just carried on paying his Wigan wage, not increasing it to match what it was including the St. George payments.

Also given what IL said about deferred payments to players I would have expected him to mention the end of the St. George payments to Barrett as another reason why our salary cap budget was so small for 2008. He made no mention of having to increase Barrett's wage yet has been very detailed about the finances.

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Flash posted:
The criticism was harsh simply because we now know the true facts. In fact as pointed out by Mike B and others there were very strong hints and rumours at the time if you cared to listen. Not that you ever care to listen. After all, why let it get in the way of a good moan!
Hang on. Was Fielden injured all of the 2007 season? If so then it was obviously a major factor. If he wasn't then how come his form was poor all season?

Was it all not his fault? I saw him make quite a few mistakes (as I did Hock who also figures highly in the statistics).

I suspect his performance last season was down to a combination of factors. Injuries when they occurred and also simply poor form on his part. I think he has to take some responsibility for his performances last season and taking the view he had easy excuses for every poor game is a bit of a cherry & white specs attitude IMO.

Regardless of that though he simply has to be more effective next season and being one of the highest paid players at the club I expect him to be.

His reputation, experience, that huge transfer fee and his wages are what mean he can't have another 2007 type season in 2008 or he will start to look like DV. If he can't handle that level of expectation (which I think is quite fair) he isn't the player I thought we got.

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Dave O and God get my original point.

Will Fielden improve because he is injury free/domestic affairs are becoming more historic Or will his poor running style negate such benefits?