Re: Earlie Kick of when on Sky...

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Nine

Re: NOTICE--Earlie Kick of...

Post by Nine »

Red Hot Mama posted:
I just hope that hey don't change a date in July like this year. Leeds game changed from Friday to Thursday :conf:
I hope so - we're flying out on holiday on the Friday. It would be great to get the game in before we go!

On a less selfish note, I think it will affect homne support too. We know people who travel from Stoke, North Wales and West Yorkshire to every home game. That extra half hour can make quite a bit of difference during the Friday night motorway nightmare.

Like Fraggle, we too are rushed because of traffic from Manchester but luckily can usually finish a little early on Fridays, which helps a lot.
Squad number 18!
doc

Post by doc »

Nine posted:
Red Hot Mama posted:
I just hope that hey don't change a date in July like this year. Leeds game changed from Friday to Thursday :conf:
I hope so - we're flying out on holiday on the Friday. It would be great to get the game in before we go!

On a less selfish note, I think it will affect homne support too. We know people who travel from Stoke, North Wales and West Yorkshire to every home game. That extra half hour can make quite a bit of difference during the Friday night motorway nightmare.

Like Fraggle, we too are rushed because of traffic from Manchester but luckily can usually finish a little early on Fridays, which helps a lot.
M6 North is a complete nightmare every Friday. Can easily take over 2 hours for what is normally a 1 hour 60 mile journey.
Wayne's World

Re: Earlie Kick of when on...

Post by Wayne's World »

cpwigan posted:
Very true Fraggle

And yes it is SKY and SKY only who forced the change

The club did hold a straw poll to move all games to 7:30 to keep consistency of KO time but it went down like a lead ....
Steve and eddie probably want to get home earlier.
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

Not to bad for me, as I finish early on a Friday anyway, but still a pain in the **** as it means leaving that much earlier.
Still, you pay the devil, you pay the price!

Can't see many travelling along the M62 for sky games though :(
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

What irks is the RFL just do whatever SKY wants
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

cpwigan posted:
What irks is the RFL just do whatever SKY wants
No choice really, without the SKY money we'd be knackered.

He who pays the piper...
botica

Post by botica »

Nine posted:
Red Hot Mama posted:

ames

:doz:

Yes us too Debs and its Saints this year!!(Ithink)!!! on that day. Was beltin last time didn't miss any at all and this time we miss 2 home games and fly back from Barcelona 1 week before the catalans g
"Not only did they beat St Helens in the Grand Final, they did it with style" Mike Stephenson 2nd Oct 2010
damien morrissey

Post by damien morrissey »

Fraggle posted:
cpwigan posted:
You are correct. Personally I believe this may affect away support.
And perhaps also home support. Even from somewhere as close as Manchester the traffic can be a big issue on a Friday night. Any local derby games (Saints, Warrington), or Haydock Races, can really have an effect for me, and there are plenty of other people who travel to games from outside the Wigan area who might get affected by this. This must be a Sky decision rather than anything the club is doing, but to be honest messing around with the times is as annoying as changing the day of the game.

It's ridiculous, changing things that don't need changing without considering the effect on the fans.
Fraggle i also travel from Mcr but i go via the reebok and and miss all this traffic. Still busy as you would expect match nights but only around the centre of Wigan.

Damien
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Nine posted:
Red Hot Mama posted:

For me a 7:30 ko would mean getting back to the station for the second last train to Manchester without having to run. I do think it wll reduce the overall attendence though.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Mike posted:
Nine posted:
Red Hot Mama posted:

For me a 7:30 ko would mean getting back to the station for the second last train to Manchester without having to run. I do think it wll reduce the overall attendence though.
The only away support attendances which are consistently high are from Wigan Supporters. The M62 is a nightmare for everyone on a Friday night, even for die hard supporters. Every club are glad of the Wigan support as it boosts there coffers.Bradford and Leeds away support has dropped in the last few years and the last time we played Huddersfield they brought a massive 63supporters. Okay we know that Catalans and Quins haven't got a big support but they are better than the Giants where the birth of RL started.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan