Warriors Win

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Alex the Warrior

Re: Warriors Win

Post by Alex the Warrior »

Thought Lockers might've got the vote, but don't ayone tell me he's ready to fill Faz's boots. Thought Jerry put in some very good yards, but it was hard to tell if Vailiki was playing at all most of the time.

With all that possession, we should've had double the points even allowing for the awful weather.

Not sure what possesses anyone to have a go at Danny, there's only ever going to be one winner there. Never seen him miss yet with a punch.

Finally, the referee. Super League don't need to fly idiots like him 12,000 miles round the world, we've got enough crap refs of our own.
From Mission Impossible (1991) to The Great Escape (2006)
the grinch

Post by the grinch »

defence won the game salford really didnt know what to do with us as we wouldnt let them play.the ref and the shamefull condition of the ground where factors and cant be ignored. i dont know which was worse! there is no way wigan can play top class games on a ground like that. for a first game i think it was good. we will improve game after game especialy when we get carney back. i came away a happy grinch!
dont let your victories go to your head or your failures go to your heart
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

some mixed reports but it sounds like we should have been more comfortable. watched most of the leeds game they had to soak up alot of pressure before breaking out with a few tries tries, allthough two of them came from forward passes. looking forward to next home game as i,m flying over for it.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

robjoenz posted:

All in all I'd say it was very disappointing, we only had a respectable result because they were poor, next week and especially the week after we need to improve an AWFUL lot.
I agree we do need to improve a lot next week. The defence was awesome but the attack dire. The conditions didn't help but I could not help thinking that with some powerful running out wide from someone like, err, Farrell, we would have murdered them.

We had no one bursting through from the second row or loose forward slot.

The attack was flat, the passing slow and players were taking the ball standing still, passing it along the line.

Kicking game was good and Moran had a good game but I would have gone for Tickle as MoM as he did make a few yards a times.

Good: Kicking game, defence.
Bad: Attack, the pitch and....the ref - how awful was he!

Dave
TRICKY DICKY

Post by TRICKY DICKY »

WE NEED A THIRD PROP.

ANY NEWS ON GUISETT
ALL GOOD THINGS ARE WORTH WAITING FOR

WIGAN R.L.F.C. - A WAY OF LIFE
TomThumb

Post by TomThumb »

As bad starters to the season, we could easily have come unstook against a good defensive display by salford, with the conditions and all the romours about andy, i think the lads deserve a lot of credit for a game that was not great to watch but i think we can take a lot of positives out of the game

Danny Sculthorpe- excellent running, always looking to offload and strong tackling

JERRY- Hard uncomprimising prop who will be an ideal replacement for craig smith.

Moran- scored a good try from a danny Sclthorpe offload, Trymachine I think..

Lockers- An ideal replacement for King Andy- look forward to a strong year from lockers.

Danny Tickle- How big his he this year, him and hock are really strong in the second row (big year for both)

V-Man- looked unfit, give the lad time to gel with either carney or dallas, tall rangy centre- lets hope he is half as good as the great Gene Miles.

Wayne godwin- mad a couple of good runs from half back- only young good prospect..

everyone else had good games...

Final Thought... THANK GOD FOR SUMMER RUGBY!!!!! :cool:
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

And let's not forget a great try-saving tackle from our very own...

Hodgy! :wink:
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

GeoffN, up and down sort of game, I am just hoping that Vaeliki was not fit because he was woeful, ran like a carthorse rather than a thoroughbred.
The big improvement in our game was the touch kicking, remember that was one of my moans last year and last night we must have been 20 yds better/kick :)
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

GeoffN posted:
And let's not forget a great try-saving tackle from our very own...

Hodgy! :wink:
I knew there was something he did during the game. We counted that in the 2nd half he touched the ball 3 times, and one of those was to collect it for them to drop out under the sticks. It was a bit weird really, we weren't attacking his wing in the 2nd half as if we were scared of him, and Salford looked scared to death of passing the ball to him!

As for the rest of the game, well See You Jerry was ok but I worry about him and Newton being on the pitch at the same time. He's got to sort out the discipline, or else the likes of Bratfud are going to kick penalty after penalty against us and won't need to worry about scoring tries. Hock didn't impress me enough, but Lockers looked lively. I get concerned every time I see Sculthorpe because he always seems to be in the wars, barely 15 minutes last night before he needed treatment again. Moran was very good, some wonderful kicks the likes we haven't seen for a VERY long time, and he seemed to combine pretty well with Orr.

Not a very pretty game to watch, and the fact we didn't convert pressure into more points is a worry. If we're like that against the Bulls in 2 weeks, that unbeaten home record goes out of the window I'm afraid.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Vaealikis Girl

Post by Vaealikis Girl »

I'm hoping Vaealiki just needs a little time to get used to running around again. He had an extremely serious injury and it's surprising he's playing again at all not to mention a niggling hamstring problem he's had the last few years. I really do hope in the next few games he can regather his true form.

As for Seu Seu, the penalties have always been his problem. He is a great player and a hard hitter but he always manages to end up on the wrong side of the whistle.
We'll miss you Freshy!!! Please come back!