Higham Knew Nothing About the Netwon Thing

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Cruncher

Re: Higham Knew Nothing Ab...

Post by Cruncher »

DaveO posted:
Cruncher posted:

Dave, how can you honestly say it was a bad idea for IL just to talk to Bradford?

Surely you don't genuinely believe that?
There is nothing wrong talking to any club if you are looking to address a particular weakness in the side but I don't think it makes a lot of sense to talk to Bradford specificaly about Newton, no. We have two perfectly good hookers for 2008.

Higham is contracted for this season so as we know to get Newton now would involve Higham agreeing to move which would not be guaranteed.

Next season Newton will be 30 so I just would not even consider bringing him back then.

Higham has a full year to run on his contract so I'd expect Wigan to sound him out about now about a new contract and if one could not be agreed then to start looking elsewhere. Not looking elsewhere before deciding where they stand with Higham. It is the wrong way around and can lead to the sort of fiasco we have just seen.

Unless of course it has been decided he will not be offered a new deal already.

Put it this way I reckon it is normal to sort out where your current players are contractually before checking out possible replacements. There is plenty of time if Higham can't be accommodated or is simply not wanted by Nobby. Enquiring about Newton's availability seems very strange to me (and yes I have read IL's reasons for doing so, I just don't think they are very good ones!).
What's the harm in club chairmen talking to each other? If he wasn't doing stuff like this, planning ahead, having confidential discussions about who is and who isn't available, and what it might take to bring them to Wigan, then we'd be in grave danger of falling miles behind everyone else.
See above. It is just an odd way to go about it IMO. Is Higham not available in 2009? Have the club asked him? Do they want him? If the club answers those questions it would then know if it should start to make enquiries but clearly it just went ahead anyway.
To me he's guilty of only one thing, being unaware that an idiot like Steve McNamara - and I use my words carefully here, 'idiot' - would immediately seek to cement his own position by warping the truth to make it look like he'd fended off another Wigan attack.
McNamara must be hugely embarrassed by this of that there is no doubt. It is as if Hood has had to deal with a naughty child. Credit to Hood for this IMO.

But if IL had determined if we actually needed a new hooker before enquiring about one, none of this would have happened. Do you not agree?

Dave
I suppose it just boils down to whether you think Higham or Newton is the better hooker. I think you're aware that I, like you, would rather we stuck with Higham than Newton. I feel that Newton is too incident-prone and now too old. And I like Higham's commitment to the club; he's really worn his heart on his sleeve for us, and I'm always glad to see him.

However, if - and it is an 'if' - Nobby and/or IL think that Newton would be better value, then I guess that's down to them. While I may not agree with them, I'd certainly defend their right to discuss the matter privately with Newton's current employers without the fear of some jumped-up little fart going crying to the press about it.

I feel certain that these kind of behind-the-scenes conversations go on all the time, and that no player's name is sacred (at the end of the day, they're all commodities in a very vibrant market). What doesn't normally happen is that the confidence gets blown sky high, like this one was.

If IL's guilty of anything here, it's assuming that the normal standards of confidentiality, which supposedly apply right across the board, also apply to Wigan. Where some people are concerned, they don't.
num lock

Post by num lock »

If there was a Grand Final for getting stuck into the management of your own club,there wouldn't even be a competition,Wigan Fans would win it every time.

num lock

Post by num lock »

AncientWarrior posted:
DaveO posted:
TWO EYED WARRIOR posted: This isnt proof this is just making a noise, 1 source quotes bardford bulls the other quotes the telegraph and argus.

Both are quoting each other which doesnt exactly provide proof this is just spin as far as im concerned
Of course it is proof. It is the Bulls website! The fact it is on there means that must be the clubs official position.

It is proof that McNamara said these things and if you won't accept it at face value now it is on the Bulls site that is just being silly.

If you won't accept that that then you can't accept the Wigan Observer quotes from IL. Or any other quote from anyone else anywhere for that matter!
Because we all know that papers dont always tell the truth, i would also question why the telegraph and argus? its not exactly the bastion of the national sport is it we have multiple experiences of local rags quoting sources which never came to fruition or where even remotely true
So you are claiming quotes that appear on the Bradford official site attributed to McNamara are false because they first appeared in a local paper?

Why would the Bradford Bulls put up quotes from their coach that he didn't say on their official site which would leave them open to a liable action?
One thing i wont be is sucked into local rags reporting, as a lot of what is reported is generally taken out of context and there own spin placed upon a story.
You need to learn the difference between editorial and direct quotes attributed to people like McNamara and IL.

We are all used to editorial from the WEP that contains no actual news and could have been plucked directly from the rumour mill on this message board.

That is completely different from a news article that quotes people regardless of what paper it appears in.

Any paper making up quotes by anyone like this would be sued on the spot. In this case Bradford would have placed a denial on their web site that McNamara said anything of the sort.

They didn't do that. What they did instead was reproduce the quotes! So there is only one explanation for that - he said it !!!
I sense more that this is a rebuttal of Noble trying to raid his old club again and being firmly told to bugger off and a bit of spin added on for good measure in an attempt to unsettle MH.
Well if McNamara didn't say it then how can that be? Who told him to bugger off? If you are suggesting the paper made it all up don't you realise that it is illegal to publish so called quotes that were never said by the person?

The Argos may be a local paper but they aren't that stupid.
If i turn out to be wrong ill hold my hands up and say so but as far as im concerned its SPIN all the way for me.
How could you possibly be any more wrong? I am not being funny or having a go but to try sand suggest quotes from the Bulls coach on the Bulls site can't be believed because they first appeared in a local paper is ridiculous.

Dave
I couldn’t disagree with you more!

Is it not the case that you prefer to believe what Bradford are saying as opposed to what Lenegan has said?

If you are looking for justification that Bradford have deliberately misrepresented what may have been a perfectly normal enquiry as to a player’s availability and a request to register an interest in that player then consider the following sequence of events through the eyes of a Bulls fan:

• A new owner takes over the club and within a short time the relationship between the C.E.O. and the most successful coach in Super league (Noble) becomes untenable;
• Noble is allowed to leave to coach one of the club’s main rivals and shortly after signs one of the club’s star players and a firm favourite of the fans (Fielden);
• Another firm favourite, Peacock is allowed to leave for the club’s nearest rivals (Leeds);
• The club’s top scorer Leslie Vainikolo leaves for R.U.
• The club entertain Wigan in the play-off qualifiers (a home banker) and the new coach substitutes three main players with the score at 30 – 6 in order to save them for the next round. The away team coached by their former coach scores 25 unanswered points to win the tie;
Wigan make another approach for a Bulls player……….?
What would you do to restore faith in a dwindling support?

As a Wigan supporter, I prefer to believe Lenegan. I don’t care that he doesn’t make a public statement about Higham as to say anything else would give credence to Bradford’s stance. I don’t think Higham will be upset for too long as I’m sure Lenegan possesses enough interpersonal skills to calm the troubled waters.

Have some faith!!!!
NICE ONE !!
jao711

Post by jao711 »

good interchange between daveo &ancient warrior.for my part i would be inclined to beleive ian lenagan before bradford's chairman.why not?he has been pretty transparent so far.as for discussing the relative values players and their supposed earnings i'm afraid its all speculation and meaningless.reading daveo's many posts it strikes me how many times he uses IMO,because you see that'sall it is.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

jao711 posted:
good interchange between daveo &ancient warrior.for my part i would be inclined to beleive ian lenagan before bradford's chairman.why not?he has been pretty transparent so far.as for discussing the relative values players and their supposed earnings i'm afraid its all speculation and meaningless.reading daveo's many posts it strikes me how many times he uses IMO,because you see that'sall it is.
Both Dave O AND Ancient Warrior make good points. It is down to the individual to interpret the "Real" events as explained in the various media forms.

I for one, believe that an honest (and private) discussion was made public, for reasons unknown, by the Bradford "side" of the discussions. End of.

Recently the same side has been boasting of beating numerous clubs to "star" junior signings. Maybe this is to deflect from possible bad news (to come) for the Bulls????? :eh:
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

butt monkey posted:
I for one, believe that an honest (and private) discussion was made public, for reasons unknown, by the Bradford "side" of the discussions. End of.
We know it was McNamara who went public after Hood asked him about the idea of releasing Newton following on from Hood's and IL's discussion.

When IL first made a statement on this and said no offer was made I think many took that to mean he had not even spoken to Bradford about it. I couldn't see how that could be true given both Hood and McNamara were quoted in the press saying they had rejected an approach from Wigan. Now we know what happened.

However all this "did he, didn't he" stuff deflects from what I think is the real issue. The fact IL was asking about Newton's availability.

When we have Higham contracted to us this season and have no reason to believe he won't accept an offer of a new contract in 2009 I find that a bit odd.

The justifications IL gave for this in his statement don't make a great deal of sense to me unless he wanted Newton in preference now and/or in 2009. I find it very odd to be enquiring about a player in a position you have covered.

Now if he had been asking about whether Sam Burgess was available that would be different as I think we are a prop light. That would make sense.

McNamara wasn't shouting off about rejecting enquiries for other Bulls players so I suspect IL spoke to Bradford specifically about Newton.

Whether IL made an enquiry or an offer, Higham knows his chairman was speaking to Bradford about the possibility of Newton being released.

We would never have known were it not for McNamara being stupid but we shouldn't let that issue and saying how good it is for IL to comment mean we forget he was apparently seeking to replace Higham.

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I cannot fathom IL at times. Why not post his comments on the club web site, as a press release?

We have umpteen young hookers. Too many. I believe we let a good one go pre season in Tom Smith. We currently have McIlorum, TCoyle (he's better suited to 9), Robinson and now LTomkins. So we only need 1 experienced hooker and we have that. So if we enquire about Newton what message does that send out to Higham. Surely hooker is not an area we need to worry about for the foreseeable future and by that I mean 5+ years. A No 6 and outside backs are areas for development IMO.

butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

DaveO posted:
When we have Higham contracted to us this season and have no reason to believe he won't accept an offer of a new contract in 2009 I find that a bit odd.

The justifications IL gave for this in his statement don't make a great deal of sense to me unless he wanted Newton in preference now and/or in 2009. I find it very odd to be enquiring about a player in a position you have covered.

Dave
I have speculated elsewhere, but, with both Feka AND Higham (with his asthma), unable to give Wigan more than half a match game time, this leaves Wigan with a serious problem regarding the subs bench.

Both players have to have replacements ready to come on for them, irrespective of the injury OR form situation at the time. If at any time, the side was to say "carry" an unfit player (like Barrett) into a match, it would leave Wigan very seriously depleted with regards tactics as well as selection cover.

Maybe, Higham's position is not as guaranteed as many might speculate! :doz:
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
andybailey147

Post by andybailey147 »

i hope not !
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

The fact is Higham is not a starting hooker, he is a impact player is the reason for all this.
His style is much more suited to coming on and running at tired defenders .
Nobby seems to have the same lines of thought ,that does not mean he thinks he's second rate just Wigan need a hooker who's game is more adequate to fill the role from kick off .
Nobby picked Micky at international level off the bench so that must mean he saw something in him .
I can see Wigans lines of thought on this , I like Micky as a player and he seems a good bloke I think he puts 100% in week after week and in an ideal world we would have Newton starting and Micky coming off the bench with Macalorum covering for injuries from and getting a bit of game time from time to time learning his trade .
The cap makes this a no goer , and ;I stress again I like the bloke; I can still see Wigans line on this
weather you agree is a matter of opinions but the coach sees it the same way as me he is not a starting 9 .
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!